Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,450 times

Advertisements

In NV it's a big fine for letting your insurance lapse even one day. To answer your question about how people get away without insurance is it's more difficult than it used to be. Back in Hawaii there was a number of years I didn't have insurance because the fine was only $100 and I would get maybe one ticket a year. The day the law changed to 1000/3000/5000 fine w/in three years my luck ran out and I got all three within a week.

Not long ago in CA you could make yourself an insurance card and take that in to register your vehicle. Eventually everything was submitted to the DMV electronically and as soon as our insurance lapsed the DMV knew.

I'm just guessing but a lot of the uninsured driving around here probably don't have valid registration either. The tags are not that hard to take off a different plate. You're good unless a cop gets right behind you and runs your plates.

Doing what I did was stupid but in 30 years of driving I've never caused an accident. So at the time it was worth the risk. Today, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
I agree with you, flyboy, and I was going to ask the same question you did. Geez, I bought my vehicle here and then moved to MI. The DMV here sent me all kinds of stuff about my plate not being surrendered and such (really? I needed a plate to drive it back!). So, I called them and told them I moved. They said, "don't worry about it, it won't be a problem unless you need to register it in NV again." Well, I knew I was going to have to but I had no idea what they were talking about. It is not like that in MI at all. You don't have to surrender your plates there.

Now, the car is here and I am trying to get it taken care of and I am having all sorts of issues. DMV is concerned that their records show no insurance coverage back in 09 through March 2010!!! There was coverage, I was never without. I am having a heck of a time getting the copies of those policies. Why do they care? I was in MI, for pete's sake and shouldn't they just be concerned with my coverage NOW? Wouldn't it be the ins. co. that would be concerned about a lapse? And that long ago?

So, no, I don't understand how anyone gets away with no insurance here. I still haven't got my NV plate yet. PITA. I have spent more time and money at the DMV than I have at my house. Frustrating. Then, trying to make sure I have enough coverage....another whole issue.

You apparently can be considered full coverage at 15/30/45 here. I was not fully informed. I come here and learn that that is bottom barrel and will basically do you no good. I will be meeting with my agent when I return from MI after the holidays. Hopefully, my vehicle is intact upon return. At this point, I don't even care.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM

134 posts, read 177,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Listen...keep doing the right thing, even if it seems like everybody else is getting away with murder. I'll bet you my last food stamp, the fools may seem to get away with it, but as soon as you try it, whoop whoop that's the sound of the police (KRS1)
Incidentally, that's what my airplane "says" right before you crash into a mountain...followed by "pull up"
I could never try to scam the system.
1.) My conscious won't allow it
2.) If anyone were to get caught it would be me

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
My X"StepSon" [who is never to be given my home address] is one of those scammers.....he buys insurance for one month to get it registered....then when he gets pulled over and they tow his car he scams someone into another car [and manages to scam them into paymants which he never makes] buys one month and the circle is complete.....and yes he has spent time in lockup because of that [and his propensity to be a first class axle.]

Some people just have a knack for scamming the system.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM

134 posts, read 177,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I agree with you, flyboy, and I was going to ask the same question you did. Geez, I bought my vehicle here and then moved to MI. The DMV here sent me all kinds of stuff about my plate not being surrendered and such (really? I needed a plate to drive it back!). So, I called them and told them I moved. They said, "don't worry about it, it won't be a problem unless you need to register it in NV again." Well, I knew I was going to have to but I had no idea what they were talking about. It is not like that in MI at all. You don't have to surrender your plates there.

Now, the car is here and I am trying to get it taken care of and I am having all sorts of issues. DMV is concerned that their records show no insurance coverage back in 09 through March 2010!!! There was coverage, I was never without. I am having a heck of a time getting the copies of those policies. Why do they care? I was in MI, for pete's sake and shouldn't they just be concerned with my coverage NOW? Wouldn't it be the ins. co. that would be concerned about a lapse? And that long ago?

So, no, I don't understand how anyone gets away with no insurance here. I still haven't got my NV plate yet. PITA. I have spent more time and money at the DMV than I have at my house. Frustrating. Then, trying to make sure I have enough coverage....another whole issue.

You apparently can be considered full coverage at 15/30/45 here. I was not fully informed. I come here and learn that that is bottom barrel and will basically do you no good. I will be meeting with my agent when I return from MI after the holidays. Hopefully, my vehicle is intact upon return. At this point, I don't even care.
Good Lord. P-I-T-A for sure. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

That low coverage amount is what you have to have to comply with the mandatory insurance laws in NV. AZ has a similar low requirement. The amount that's prudent to carry is another matter altogether.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
Speaking to the credit affecting rates, think of it this way. You are financing a year of coverage and making payments on your policy. So if credit is bad its usually and indicator of how well you pay most of your bills. If I owned the agency I would increase rates also.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas ins guy View Post
Speaking to the credit affecting rates, think of it this way. You are financing a year of coverage and making payments on your policy.
That's not the way it's worked for me in the 40+ years that I've had and paid for car insurance. I am billed in advance for six-months worth of service at a time. IOW, I receive an invoice in October for the insurance period of November-April. Then in April I receive an invoice for insurance coverage from May-October.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's not the way it's worked for me in the 40+ years that I've had and paid for car insurance. I am billed in advance for six-months worth of service at a time. IOW, I receive an invoice in October for the insurance period of November-April. Then in April I receive an invoice for insurance coverage from May-October.
Exactly there is no financing component to insurance. You pay in advance (not arrears) for coverage. Even people on monthly payments are paying for future coverage not coverage they had in a previous period.

The monthly payments, including a fee, are simply easier to digest for some.

I'm not so sure how credit affects your rates. I've gone from good credit to horrible, horrible credit back to 700+ more than once due to failed businesses, lawsuits, etc. My insurance rates have never changed as a result.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
I did an annual policy review last month with my insurance company. Standard questions every time. Except that there was one new question.

"Do you park your vehicle in a locked and covered garage at night?"

Never been asked this before. I answered "yes" and my rate didn't change at all.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas