Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,798,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwizard4504 View Post
Lots of illegals that work for nothing. Can't compete with that.
^ Winner of the "Stupidest post on C-D Award 2015".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 PM

327 posts, read 399,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averymaie View Post
I've got 10 years of office experience under my belt. I went from receptionist to office manager and am now trying to do work from home.
I just don't understand why companies have such a hard time hiring someone that is qualified and will work for significantly less, and get paid going the 1099 route.
With all of the technology out there is there really still a gap where companies have to have someone sitting in their office? Or is it just much of a hassle for them?
I was just thinking I can't be the only one out there in this position where we want to work, but it would cost more to go to work than to work from home. Is there a niche that I'm not seeing out there?
Very sorry to hear about your situation. The simple answer is to move where the jobs are. Southern California has tons of jobs, and if are having trouble, then move there. Don't hesitate. I can guarantee you that you will find something there. As for the rest of the county, I would also consider NYC, Chicago, Houston, and maybe Charlotte/Atlanta/Dallas. The rest of the county is suspect for work. And, as always, you have to network and ask for help. good luck. I wish you the best. Try you best to relax in the interview and stay positive, and be humble and thankful that you are at that point, during the interview process. Also, get involved in a support group, if possible.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,858,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Yesterday my wife and her team held a job fair. She came home stressed out saying something similar.

"Why is it so hard to find employees?"

Employers that can't find employees in today's world (post recession) are being WAY TOO PICKY. They pass on too many applicants for dumb reasons: not attractive; too old; too young; not enough experience; too much experience. Also, too many employers do not want to train new employees. The applicant that didn't have all of the experience could have been perfect with a few months under his or her belt. Meanwhile, the business suffers with turnover because it preferred to be picky. Money is lost. Time is lost. This happens every day.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,858,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwizard4504 View Post
Lots of illegals that work for nothing. Can't compete with that.
Construction?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Employers that can't find employees in today's world (post recession) are being WAY TOO PICKY. They pass on too many applicants for dumb reasons: not attractive; too old; too young; not enough experience; too much experience. Also, too many employers do not want to train new employees. The applicant that didn't have all of the experience could have been perfect with a few months under his or her belt. Meanwhile, the business suffers with turnover because it preferred to be picky. Money is lost. Time is lost. This happens every day.
My wife will hire 10 people and 6 will quit because of the summer heat. Picky?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,937,834 times
Quote:
Some people want a job, others just want a paycheck. Anytime I hire a new worker I give them a speech about how hard the job is and that it can really suck, it never ceases to amaze me how many say they still want the job, then walk off the job in the first week saying "this job sucks" LOL!

Old 06-30-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Some people want a job, others just want a paycheck. Anytime I hire a new worker I give them a speech about how hard the job is and that it can really suck, it never ceases to amaze me how many say they still want the job, then walk off the job in the first week saying "this job sucks" LOL!
Most of the people that work with my wife love their job but hate the weather, people, summers, neighbors, schools, lack of family, blowing their paychecks on gambling...stuff like that.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 PM

40 posts, read 45,861 times
I created my own job after i found out working for employers was just not for me. We have options in Las Vegas, make the best of it.

I work for myself now and I cant be happier doing so.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,439,629 times
Quote:
If this is for outdoor jobs, your wife should have hired someone who have a proven record of being able to work in summer heat.
Duh?!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
If this is for outdoor jobs, your wife should have hired someone who have a proven record of being able to work in summer heat.
Duh?!
90% are office jobs. Sitting behind a computer, filing paperwork and dealing with customers for about eight hours a day in an air conditioned setting. The complaints are when employees have to go to lunch, drive home or go out marketing after their car has been sitting in the sun for a couple of hours.

I have a neighbor that called into work because the AC stopped working in her car last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas