Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it can be rough. It gets better.
And then worse. Lol.
I'd suggest finding a hotel that moves pretty well, for me encore and bellagio, and just work them your whole shift.
They will request places you've never been before, take them (use gps) and you'll learn rather quickly. That's what I did. Now I only need gps once a week or so.
Once you learn all the major cab stands, you can check them out as you're driving past them, and jump in line if the line is short.
The airport is usually a pit of despair. You can sit there for hours. NOT a good way to make average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana5947 View Post
Well, I started driving cab Weds 00.30. So much to learn. I'm barely existing, let along make any money. (lol). First night, just drove around til daylight, trying to see where entrances & cab lines were. Then back & forth to same hotel (& going to airport mainly). I didnt understand even where to go, to pickup airport rides....2nd night, same. 3rd night, -- made myself get past comfort zone, picking up from nightclub (which customers can be scary!). One guy so drunk, gave me his room key & told me to takehim there (haha)- & i'm trying to figure out where it is, as his head is already between his knees & the barfing is soon to follow (but didnt)- had window down. 2nd people- 2 guys & girl- thot they were gonna rob me; couldn't figure out where they were going, acting strange. Rest of people were fine. Of course, not making average, and making only $20-35 night tips. Only doing like 8-10 trips. I finally figured out how to pick up loads at airport which will help. Man, this job is not what I thought it would be, tho!.....
you probably remember this from the ta training; you don't pick up a fare / agree to the ride / start off on the trip until you are sure in your mind what the destination is.

i agree with extremeatheist; start off with a base. when i started it ended up being bellagio. it's a tunnel, but wth, restrooms are there, it's easy to find on the strip, and you'll learn pickups and drop offs from your base.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 10-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-19-2013, 07:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
so here's a question... cab drives from airport on swenson... gets nailed for speeding over 35mph....everyone knows the police hide there..... What happens to the cabbie? What about the person in the cab? Free ride? Does cabbie pay ticket? Does it reflect on their personal insurance (what about if they have an accident)..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:56 PM
EA

The cop pulls him, try to get the people to pay the fare, probably want to stop the meter, cabbie pays the ticket, and it will be more than a civilian's ticket.

A cab driver wrecked, the company insisted that the people still pay the fare. I'd let that one go.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Quote:
First night, just drove around til daylight, trying to see where entrances & cab lines were.
This is why I suggested a few times to drive your personal car around and explore before getting in the cab...remember?

Knowing where you're going is key to having confidence....spend an hour or two in your own car aftyer your shift exploring the areas you don't know. ...This should've been done before starting to drive.

Also, carry plastic bags for barfers...keeping vomit off your car can save your shift! Learn to know before they do that they're about to throw up...By the time they realize it, it's too late. If they look distant, are swallowing or spitting a lot, asking for fresh air or breathing heavy/odd you have about 15 seconds before they chunk.

Learn your club schedules! Learn any events...the company provides you with a list of conventions and happenings....use them.

Zone in on the computer if you're sitting in a line for awhile.

Never take a fare that seems sketchy. Know their destination before you let them in...keep your doors locked and talk to them through a slightly opened window if you're unsure about them. If you don't like the looks of them drive away! I took the rides of many cabs that drove away because I'm a big guy with years of bouncing behind me, but I wouldn't recommend driving sketchy people to most people. Remember, you are ALONE and going where they want! Situational awareness!

Always try to pick up where you dropped...as close as is practical anyway.

Don't use the airport as your base...it's too easy to short yourself that way...the airport is crowded with cabs and often has long waits.

If you like the airport at least learn the flights...you can always log onto their website and track incoming flights. It's not worth the effort IMHO though...but many cabbies disagree.

Being new is the time to learn and explore...after 30 days they're going to expect you to be making book...

Old 10-19-2013, 08:42 PM

61 posts, read 105,084 times
Why are there hardly any women driving?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 PM

I'd like to thank Cyborg & Extreme for all your info here! All relevant & current info. Thanks!
So, Cyborg- I'm confused. I drove up to Luxor, and that's where they got in at, & said going to Miramont, and then argument amongst all 3 customers, over name of complex & where it was....???. Do I just STAY at resort until they decide? Its uncomfortable & I dont know what to do - when they dont....?? Thanks!
I'm kinda scared... Saturday night, strip...Lordee.....

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Cyborg-you're right., you said drive around; but I didnt have any time before I started. I should have taken the time...

I am now carrying barf bags & kleenex. Thanks Cyborg!

Guess I didnt' understand. I can drive away...??....at major resorts without taking customers?-- Are you sure? I hear you get fired for this....?????

I am kinda scared in Vegas, but I'm not a baby. I have repossessed cars, ran collection agencies, appeared in court hearings for 30 years, I have a 6th sense on things. I can talk my way out of things... I've had knives at my throat, and been shot at. I have lived last 30 years in Oregon; so my eyes are slowly opening here in Vegas!....
Thanks everyone....I cannot post from my phone, but I can SEE your posts tonight from my phone....

I'm tall, lean, older, long dark hair. Drive Checker. If you see me in line, come see me. . Thanks.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM
EA

I'll pull up out of the way, but still on the hotel property while they decide. Sometimes, one of them will tell the doorman "luxor" and the other person(s) will want to go to cosmo, they'll have to bicker until they figure it out. If they can't decide you're still close to the doorman and others if something goes wrong.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Thanks Extreme. That helps for tonight!. I am kinda afraid tonight....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas