Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,492,383 times

Advertisements

I don't speak to my neighbor simply because his pitbul mix mutt barks all the time. I complained to the HOA and actually things got better, also, they've managed to control the issue about the tenant not picking up dog feces as well. Overall, I would rather live in an area with HOA, it has its pros and cons but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Whenever I hear the dog bark and I'm at home, I will step out of my home into the porch and play around with the wind chimes I've hanged, it really works and spooks the dog, hahahaha. I also sprinkler cayenne pepper on the yard around the areas where I garden. Aside from Cayenne pepper, I spray bleach water on the yard and on the curb next to my unit. I hate the smell of pet urine especially when I'm watering the plants in the garden. Imagine if I borrow my sister's pet dogs, bring them home and let them **** and **** on my neighbor's front yard and not clean up afterwards, do you honestly think they will appreciate it? Many pet owners are irresponsible and d@mn lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 AM

526 posts, read 833,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Dog obedient training.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
This works from afar

Pet Trainer

Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM

414 posts, read 973,690 times
You need to read the CC&Rs that govern your property. You bought the home with those in place so they are binding. If they say no inoperable vehicles may be on the property then that includes inside the garage. It may also say you can not work on cars on the property. That is often stuck in to keep people from running a car repair shop in their garage. If the CC&Rs also authorizes a HOA then that is binding too. They can enforce the CC&Rs. Quite likely some neighbor complained to them and they are informing you of it. The real hoot is the HOA can also add Bylaws and Policies to the whole things so can really go "gestapo" on you. I think your first recourse is to read your CC&Rs and see what they say. If there is no comment in there about inoperable cars then you can challenge them. You might also want to check on what it says about parking on the drive way. If that is what they are really upset about then they can not bug you about it if they do not bug everyone. The HOA has to enforce ALL the CC&Rs equally, they can not pick and choose which ones they will enforce. Last resort is there is a state mediation process for these kinds of things. You can file a suit for $50 and do it right over the internet. Check on the state website for and office that handles HOA issues. I believe they call it the Omsbudsman Office.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM

15,866 posts, read 14,491,391 times
I'd like to know the ratio of houses in communites with HOA vs not in Clark County. I have a feeling that ratio is pretty high. In point of fact, a lot of municipalities (I don't know about Clark County or the incorporated cities) force developers to form HOAs, so that the homeowners can self finance the provision of services that the municipalities don't want to pay for. This makes it hard to find a non HOA home.

There's also the flip side. If you have a house in a non-HOA development, and your neighbor turns his house into a dump, there's very little you can do about it. Maybe you can live with this. Life is always about the trade offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
Never never never purchase any property with an HOA. Why become a homeowner and still have a de facto landlord? Want to pick paint color? Nope. The benefits do not outweigh the disadvantages and the services provided do not come close to matching the fees you are charged.

Check this out:

Neighbors at War! - The Creepy Case Against Your Homeowners Association

"Vegas is sort of the center-of-the-world for corruption among HOA boards"

Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
All condos and town houses are in an HOA. No way around it.

All gated communities are in an HOA. No way around it.

There were 2781 SFRs sold in the last 30 days.Of these 1865 had an association.

Restricting to newer than 2000 there were 1447 sold. Of these 1359 had an Association. Of the 88 without an Association 14 had a master plan. So for homes built since 2000 95% are in an association.

So you can stay out of the Associations. But only by buying an older home..

Note that even half acre cul-de-sacs have CC&Rs that may be as confining as an HOA.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 PM

2,853 posts, read 4,525,026 times
in nye county, finding an hoa is the challenge. there are very few out here.

when i purchased out here, i specifically chose a location that did NOT have an hoa. the thought of someone telling me what i can & can't do with my property doesn't sound appealing. my subdivision has cc&r's, but not an hoa - which means, there's no one here to enforce the rules. in our cc&r's it specifically states "no livestock". one neighbor decided to put in a horse stable with 5 or 6 horses in the back yard. it was at that point that we discovered our code enforcement dept ignores cc&r's, they only go by the zoning. we quickly had the zone changed to enforce the "no livestock" rule. eventually the housing bubble burst & our horse neighbors left. thank gawd! are there homes in our subdivision that look crappy? sure, but those are the ones with no/crappy tennants. of the houses that are occupied 99% of them are taken care of.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
in nye county, finding an hoa is the challenge. there are very few out here.

when i purchased out here, i specifically chose a location that did NOT have an hoa. the thought of someone telling me what i can & can't do with my property doesn't sound appealing. my subdivision has cc&r's, but not an hoa - which means, there's no one here to enforce the rules. in our cc&r's it specifically states "no livestock". one neighbor decided to put in a horse stable with 5 or 6 horses in the back yard. it was at that point that we discovered our code enforcement dept ignores cc&r's, they only go by the zoning. we quickly had the zone changed to enforce the "no livestock" rule. eventually the housing bubble burst & our horse neighbors left. thank gawd! are there homes in our subdivision that look crappy? sure, but those are the ones with no/crappy tennants. of the houses that are occupied 99% of them are taken care of.
CC&Rs are enforceable but you have to go to district court and get an injunction. I have seen it done but it is expensive. However sometimes four or five neighbors get together...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
I never understood those that want a nice, new home in a nice, well kept neighborhood without an HOA.

Without an HOA, the area will not stay that way.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
I hate HOA controlled areas.. I understand the need for a nice neighborhood, BUT when it gets to the point they trying to make you live as they wish that is where the line should be drawn.. Yes I agree if you signed the paperwork you DID agree to the rules.. Again another reason why I would never live in an HOA area....

I BOUGHT the house, I Make the payments, therefore it is either mine or the banks and if the bank doesn't care if I keep a car, boat, rv, motorcycle, etc in MY garage it should not be anybody else's business either..

Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post

I BOUGHT the house, I Make the payments, therefore it is either mine or the banks and if the bank doesn't care if I keep a car, boat, rv, motorcycle, etc in MY garage it should not be anybody else's business either..
Would you mind if the house next to you became a half way house?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: