Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
What one doesn't see doesn't exist? http://www.tripnet.org/state/LasVegasPressRelease031507.pdf (broken link)
Which states...among other things...

In 2005, the Las Vegas area had a traffic fatality rate of 15.4 fatalities per 100,000
population, lower than the statewide average of 17.4 fatalities per 100,000 population but
higher than the national average of 14.7 fatalities per 100,000 population. In 2005 there
were 263 traffic fatalities in the Las Vegas area.
I believe the fatality total was down in 2006 and is projected to be down further in 2007.

You trying to prove my point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh no not you again. You seen one fatal accident in 10 years huh? It sure must be nice to be lucky enough to work at home and never have to negotiate these deadly roads.

Nevada AKA Las Vegas leads the country in traffic fatalities. Back in September the local news said that if not one more person died on Nevada's highways for the rest of the year, no other state would catch up to us. That very weekend back in September 6 more died on the roads.

I drive more miles per year then your cops do. I see it all. I see things I never seen before in any other parts of the country. Go take a look out there. There are more tire marks on the center cement divider then there are on the road. You can collect enough parts from wrecked cars along the road side to build another car. Locals laugh at this. Outsiders drop their jaw. Cops hide from it. Local Chamber of Commerce hides the real statisitcs for fear of chasing tourists away.

The only thing I find strange is most of these fatals are not due to drunk drivers as one might guess. Hmmmmm.
And, the disturbing part is most fatalities occur where they shouldn't happen---on the surface streets, not on the freeways. Apparently, drivers' have somewhere, and something very important to attend to. It must be crucial that a 22 minute drive be a 20 minute drive.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Which states...among other things...

In 2005, the Las Vegas area had a traffic fatality rate of 15.4 fatalities per 100,000
population, lower than the statewide average of 17.4 fatalities per 100,000 population but
higher than the national average of 14.7 fatalities per 100,000 population. In 2005 there
were 263 traffic fatalities in the Las Vegas area.
I believe the fatality total was down in 2006 and is projected to be down further in 2007.

You trying to prove my point?
Point is LV and NV are above average--and recieved a "F" for traffic safety. Your point was---you've seen ONE fatality in 10 years; who cares what you've seen?? Didn't you previously post, you didn't see a SINGLE hooker on LVBS?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Point is LV and NV are above average--and recieved a "F" for traffic safety. Your point was---you've seen ONE fatality in 10 years; who cares what you've seen?? Didn't you previously post, you didn't see a SINGLE hooker on LVBS?
Still writing the utter nonsense aren't you. They may well have gotten to average in 2007. But they are close. That means they are in the middle and not near the end.

Now get it straight. The charge is that they are the bottom. They are not.

I know it is hard for you to write correctly...but Las Vegas is in the middle of the pack on traffic safety.

TRIP considers anyone who is not spending half the local gross domestic product on road building an "F". If Vegas is an "F" Los Angeles is a "ZZ".

The hooker remark is your normal idiot bull Sh#t. I made no such remark. You really need to learn to read for content.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Still writing the utter nonsense aren't you. They may well have gotten to average in 2007. But they are close. That means they are in the middle and not near the end.

Now get it straight. The charge is that they are the bottom. They are not.

I know it is hard for you to write correctly...but Las Vegas is in the middle of the pack on traffic safety.

TRIP considers anyone who is not spending half the local gross domestic product on road building an "F". If Vegas is an "F" Los Angeles is a "ZZ".

The hooker remark is your normal idiot bull Sh#t. I made no such remark. You really need to learn to read for content.
Don't argue with me, TRIP did the study, and rates LV an "F" for traffic safety: http://www.tripnet.org/state/LasVegasPressRelease031507.pdf (broken link) and, all that your posts indicate is that your experiences in THECesspool are very, very limited.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking81 View Post
i will be moving to Southern part of Las Vegas in few months due to work. Can someone tell me how is the commute to North las vegas? Any problems with this distance? Difference between housing costs in aboce tow locations?
Anyone working for the North Las Vegas PD or Detentions ?
Thank you
Time (hour of the day) is of the essence, but be prepared for your 8 hour/day job to be a 10-11 hour/day job. Usually, the worst time of 15 northbound is 4-7 PM. 15 southbound is usually bad from 5AM to 7PM. Of course, the simple wreck or traffic stop can make either direction a nightmare. On a normal 9-5 job, south to north is preferable to a north to south commute.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Cite a source. The use of incorrect statistics by the unknowing is a widely used technique here. I will give you a hint...Nevada is not the highest fatality state in the nation. Las Vegas is not the top city and is actually getting better.

"the local news said that if not one more person died on Nevada's highways for the rest of the year, no other state would catch up to us." Is not a source. It is merely your speculation on a report that never occurred.

The things you see appear to be in your mind. That is likely why others don't see them.

Of course Las Vegas needs improvement...and probably at a much higher rate than is presently planned. But that does not make your nonsense true.
So what you are saying is that because YOU dont see it, because you never leave the house, then it cannot be true. Right? Get with the program there bud.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Don't argue with me, TRIP did the study, and rates LV an "F" for traffic safety: http://www.tripnet.org/state/LasVegasPressRelease031507.pdf (broken link) and, all that your posts indicate is that your experiences in THECesspool are very, very limited.
TRIP is a road builders front. See what they say about CA?

I live in Las Vegas. All the time. Not like some of us who are not present anywhere most of the time.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
I need to butt in here... but I tend to agree with this. In the last 5 years of driving, walking, and riding my bike around Las Vegas I have seen more accidents in that short time, than I have in all other years combined in Cleveland. Here are the highlights....

I saw a woman get hit by a car on Tropicana at Topaz. The car was traveling around 40mph. Hit her so hard blood was coming out of her ears. It was a sound I will never forget. The most memorable one was a motorcycle accident on Industrial just behind Fashion Show Mall. I was on foot that day. The motorcycle was in a million pieces, handle bars on one side of the road, helmet on the other, and a human leg laying in the middle of the street. Still makes me sick to think about. Lets see.. what else... I saw a car up and upside down on a wall on Tropicana across from Spanish Trails. I had an SUV blow a tire in front of me on the 15 and cartwheel into the median. I witnessed a crash at Torrey Pines and Flamingo where both injured parties were pissed off the cops had shown up. Speaking of Flamingo, I witnessed an accident at Flamingo and Eastern where a VW rabbit or Dodge Omni was smashed against a truck like an accordian. I personally was rear ended hard at Karen and Joe W Brown. My car was a total loss.

Those are among the most memorable traffic moments in Vegas for me over the last five years. The does not include the fender benders and small crashes I see on a dailey basis. I agree that I have seen an above average amount of horrific accidents, but I can promise I would not have seen them if I was some place else!
This is a nice idea for a new thread Matt. Instead of some people denying how bad these horrible roads are, lets add some of our own personal accidents we witnessed.

You listed some bad ones you will have to see flashbacks and have nightmares for years to come.

Here are mine:

Im going down 95 south just past where the now skag bowl is and everyone is swerving. I come up to the problem. There is a Horse trailer with 2 Horses in it. This thing is perfectly lined up facing southbound in the center lane but there is no car there. I continue on and no where is a vehicle pulled over noticing his Horses and trailer are gone. Now anyone who has towed before knows if their trailer is not back there anymore.

Going north 95 around Boulder, traffic was heavy but moving about 45. Some clown was speeding in the shoulder maybe doing 75 blowing everyone by. Just ahead he hits an old tire or something in the shoulder and the car fishtails and then flips. Right in front of me. A few other cars were hit and no one could pass. Rescue was there in maybe 3-4 minutes, they came up the wrong way on the exit ramp. They had to cut the car open to get him out. I honestly think we were all wishing he was hurt.

Again 95 north just north of Sunset an accident happened right in front of me. I saw a woman and a child fly airborn through the windshield and land in the road. They expired.

15 north at Lake Mead I saw a flatbed truck get a blowout and went sideways and a semi T-boned it. The flatbed driver died too.

DI at Sandhill I saw that City Building Inspector who flipped out and was racing more then 100 MPH on DI runing cars off the road until he finally crashed. He totaled 9 cars including the City vehicle. I saw 4 of those wrecks while sitting at that intersection.

Cheyene west near 215 there is a wall in the median. A car was laying on its side with the belly of the car up against the wall. As I drove by an older lady was sitting on the door of the car with her legs hanging inside the window. She was as calm as can be just watching traffic drive by.

Remember the old TV sitcome CHIPS? Those spectacular accidents were all staged by Hollywood. Here they are real. And it happens every day. Only thing we dont seem to have here are the high speed chases.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So what you are saying is that because YOU dont see it, because you never leave the house, then it cannot be true. Right? Get with the program there bud.
That's what he says. Obviously, he has very limited experience and exposure to reality in THECesspool---but he insists on posting otherwise. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas