Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM

557 posts, read 793,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're just not "getting it." And you won't, because you don't want to. You think you're special, because you retired early (you're sure trumpeting that fact a lot in this thread, for no reason -not related t it's o the topic, so you're merely bragging), and you're not open to hearing others' opinions. You're "listening," but you're not "hearing." You're dismissing what practically every single person except you has been posting in the thread, because you retired early.

I'm confused about your statement, "I believe in education and a desired skill set that's in demand. Small business will not be the path for my children." I'm not sure why you think those things are mutually exclusive, and I think it's hilarious that you think you know what your kids are going to do with their lives. I have a newsflash for you: They're their own people and will make their own decisions. You aren't going to agree with all of them. And honestly, I hope that they DO start a small business, and I hope they're very successful. I hope they do it because it's in defiance of what you want for them , and I hope they're successful because, well, I want small businesses to succeed.

Yes, I am special and blessed that I retired at 40, as most careers wont allow for that. However I earned every cent of my retirement. I put my life on the line, dealt with an ungrateful public, seen the worst of people and their evil that forever will be etched in my head. So again my pension is earned, not given.

My pension is related to the topic as others were questioning my position. With out mentioning being a very young retiree people may not understand why I support Prop 3. The original topic was prop 3 was it not ?

I am not dismissing others in the thread. I have a different position and needs than most in society and most everyone in this thread. Have I not done my obligated duty and privilege and voted ? Yet most here spew venom due to the way I voted ( not very American ) Again I repeat the retired early must be mentioned to make a logical Yes vote on 3

I assume you have kids ? I have some influence on my kids career choice, but ultimately its their decision not mine. For the record the last I want for my kids is to be a Police Officer.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
When I think of weak economy, I think of more homeless, less jobs, desperate situations, increased suicide rate, pimps taking advantage of less fortunate single moms, kids going all day without a decent meal during summer break, more foreclosure, more evictions, crime rate increasing, more police officer funerals...

Am I on track or am I way off?
Just think back to 2008. With guaranteed income people thrived and all was well. Some people on this forum got some great deals on real estate due to the recession and made some money. I would say their is some real good opportunity during a recession.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Don't want to get I between you two above but when I say I plan on being retired by age 40, that means COMFORTABLE enough where it won't matter how the economy is doing. I don't want to wish ill will on others for my benefit. So if by 40 I can't retire COMFORTABLE, I will shoot for 45, if not by 45 then hopefully 50. Either way, I am on track for an early retirement.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
There is just as much opportunity during times of economic expansion. And there is less suffering and misery. We're technically in an expansion now. But mostly the rich are benefiting.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Yes, I am special and blessed that I retired at 40, as most careers wont allow for that. However I earned every cent of my retirement. I put my life on the line, dealt with an ungrateful public, seen the worst of people and their evil that forever will be etched in my head. So again my pension is earned, not given.

My pension is related to the topic as others were questioning my position. With out mentioning being a very young retiree people may not understand why I support Prop 3. The original topic was prop 3 was it not ?

I am not dismissing others in the thread. I have a different position and needs than most in society and most everyone in this thread. Have I not done my obligated duty and privilege and voted ? Yet most here spew venom due to the way I voted ( not very American ) Again I repeat the retired early must be mentioned to make a logical Yes vote on 3

I assume you have kids ? I have some influence on my kids career choice, but ultimately its their decision not mine. For the record the last I want for my kids is to be a Police Officer.
Also not very "American" to wish the economy to collapse and see your fellow citizens adversely affected. Hypocritical, much?

Many of us, also, wouldn't want to retire on a fixed pension. Some of us work, make a decent six-figure income, and know that we will be just fine when we choose to retire. And in the meantime, we act like good and decent people, and don't wish ill on the majority of the population. We don't wish unemployment numbers to soar, we don't wish small business owners to go out of business, so all that's left is Wal-Mart where we help the Chinese economy more than our own. You think people here who are fully aware that you would rather help foreign economies over your own are "un-American"? Interesting...

Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
At least he's honest about it. The reason I want to be out of here so badly is that people like him are the majority. I'll move back to an expensive area where milk is $7/gallon and people are fundamentally decent to each other.

"I've got mine, Jack," is no basis for a society. Get me outta here as fast as possible.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There is just as much opportunity during times of economic expansion. And there is less suffering and misery. We're technically in an expansion now. But mostly the rich are benefiting.
If the economy jumped back to 2006 levels tomorrow, my home value would increase $200k+, my employer would increase drilling and exploration x10 which would mean a lot more money for me, 401k would double/triple, my wife's occupancy level at her apartments would jump back to 99% with all the people moving to LV at record rates(bigger bonus for her) and everyone would be able to throw a rock and hit a decent paying job with great benefits.

I kinda see Onlyliveonce's point now. But I hope I am not the only person that would benefit from a good economy.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Also not very "American" to wish the economy to collapse and see your fellow citizens adversely affected. Hypocritical, much?

Many of us, also, wouldn't want to retire on a fixed pension. Some of us work, make a decent six-figure income, and know that we will be just fine when we choose to retire. And in the meantime, we act like good and decent people, and don't wish ill on the majority of the population. We don't wish unemployment numbers to soar, we don't wish small business owners to go out of business, so all that's left is Wal-Mart where we help the Chinese economy more than our own. You think people here who are fully aware that you would rather help foreign economies over your own are "un-American"? Interesting...
I never said collapse economy, but rather another recession down the road with a slow return. A collapse is a depression and I never said either. Please learn to read or stop exaggerating to make your point.

Many are not in the position to be able to choose to retire on a fixed pension. Most do not have pensions these days.

Some of us retirees have a decent six figure pension and do not work.

I don't wish ill, but rather be in an economy that benefits ME. I would hope the less fortunate would have food, shelter and all the basics. All the luxuries, don't really care.

Unfortunately in order for me to obtain goods and services at a lower price their must be a higher unemployment rate.

The Chinese have owned our economy for many years. Before the Chinese it was Japan owning our economy.

I am sorry I am not a philanthropist, but rather a father trying to support his family with a pension. If you had kids you would understand how important and precious spending unlimited time with your kids as they grow up ( priceless )

As with most, my interest and your interest do not match.

We should all vote they way we see fit instead being one of the sheepeople

Old 10-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
At least he's honest about it. The reason I want to be out of here so badly is that people like him are the majority. I'll move back to an expensive area where milk is $7/gallon and people are fundamentally decent to each other.

"I've got mine, Jack," is no basis for a society. Get me outta here as fast as possible.
All that I learned was in NY ( survival ) . It is a large dog eat dog world there and my pension would not buy as much in NY.
I came to the Valley for several reasons and one was cheap labor and goods. I am actually good for the Valley as I spend and spend, but I am not in competition for jobs.
Due to my buying power here in the Valley I am able to spend unlimited time raising my kids. This is the best gift I could be given and I am very grateful for the opportunity.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Just a fact objection...

LAS VEGAS IS IN NO WAY CHEAP

It is in fact right on the US average cost of living. And it pays better than many major cities.

It is less expensive than coastal CA and the major North Eastern Cities. But it is more expensive than most of the South and Midwest.

The combination of climate, cost and culture make it a very nice place to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas