Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times

Advertisements

I think it's in a lot of peoples' best interest to encourage businesses to stay and expand in Vegas (and create jobs.) Raising taxes on businesses is not going to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Please, everybody vote. When you vote do so in yours/family's best interest. Pretty simple

Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 AM

557 posts, read 794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think it's in a lot of peoples' best interest to encourage businesses to stay and expand in Vegas (and create jobs.) Raising taxes on businesses is not going to do that.
You are correct, and I predict the PROP will be voted down. However, I voted for the tax as it benefits ME/MY Family. That is what voting is about. There is no right or wrong vote.
Retiring at 40 has put me in a unique situation ( not complaining ) that my buying power will get eaten away as I age. I need the economy to flounder in order to keep my buying power strong , remember my pension stays the same until they plant me in the ground. I remember the buying power during the recession and it was great, deals everywhere, workers desperate ( this is what I need )
I will not apologize for what's in my best interest or the way I vote.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
As you have said on the last paragraph of your post, there should and there will be accountability. As much as you think and portray everyone as corrupt, keep in mind the justice system is here to level the field.

My wife has told me horror stories about waste at her school. Millions of our taxpayer dollars frittered away stupidly. There is no accountability.

There's no point to even being a whistleblower. Everyone involved with the school system sees the waste every day. Nobody does anything about it. Why bother? It's like trying to keep back the tide with a broom.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,168,024 times
Quote:
You are correct, and I predict the PROP will be voted down. However, I voted for the tax as it benefits ME/MY Family. That is what voting is about. There is no right or wrong vote.
Retiring at 40 has put me in a unique situation ( not complaining ) that my buying power will get eaten away as I age. I need the economy to flounder in order to keep my buying power strong , remember my pension stays the same until they plant me in the ground. I remember the buying power during the recession and it was great, deals everywhere, workers desperate ( this is what I need )
I will not apologize for what's in my best interest or the way I vote.
Did you experience ANY negatives during the recession? Or was it all positive for you?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,680,497 times
Quote:
Please, everybody vote. When you vote do so in yours/family's best interest. Pretty simple
Of course you should. But a wise person understands that the long-term best interests are part of the equation. Your children will benefit from a strong community structure. I guarantee that Question 3 will work against that. And once a bad tax is enacted, there is no undoing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My wife has told me horror stories about waste at her school. Millions of our taxpayer dollars frittered away stupidly. There is no accountability.
Every teacher has the same story. It's crazy and it happens because there is no real demand for accountability.

Quote:
There's no point to even being a whistleblower. Everyone involved with the school system sees the waste every day. Nobody does anything about it. Why bother? It's like trying to keep back the tide with a broom.
This is absolutely the case. Not only that, but somehow teachers get blamed for the waste. It's absolutely unfathomable to me, but that's what happens.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Did you experience ANY negatives during the recession? Or was it all positive for you?
I was still working, but it was with the Police Dept so my job was in no danger. This was in NY and my buying power was crazy, from cars ( bought 2 ) to local contractors. NY by its nature is a high cost State, but people were desperate for work and I am talking about licensed and bonded businesses. At a time when most people were worried about losing their jobs or finding jobs I was spending and getting great deals. It is all about supply and demand. I retired in 2012 after loading up additional savings ( annuity fund, deferred compensation and additional pension contributions ). However I plan to live another 30-40 years and the buying power can be crushed by a flourishing economy. I know you are a young man that will be able to retire soon, be smart during your final years and save as much as you can. Choose a low cost area, enjoy your family and spend lots of time with them. It is a gift to retire at such a young age. If you decide to work a second career it will not be out of desperation, but rather a desire to stay busy and active. Hey, did I say to spend lots of time with your family ?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Of course you should. But a wise person understands that the long-term best interests are part of the equation. Your children will benefit from a strong community structure. I guarantee that Question 3 will work against that. And once a bad tax is enacted, there is no undoing it.

Every teacher has the same story. It's crazy and it happens because there is no real demand for accountability.

This is absolutely the case. Not only that, but somehow teachers get blamed for the waste. It's absolutely unfathomable to me, but that's what happens.
My children are fine and will be fine. I believe in education and a desired skill set that's in demand. Small business will not be the path for my children. As far as understanding long term interest, I do. I planned for my retirement the first day I started my career. Planning is the key to success. If my interests conflict with others I will not apologize

Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,793,540 times
Quote:
I was still working, but it was with the Police Dept so my job was in no danger. This was in NY and my buying power was crazy, from cars ( bought 2 ) to local contractors. NY by its nature is a high cost State, but people were desperate for work and I am talking about licensed and bonded businesses. At a time when most people were worried about losing their jobs or finding jobs I was spending and getting great deals. It is all about supply and demand. I retired in 2012 after loading up additional savings ( annuity fund, deferred compensation and additional pension contributions ). However I plan to live another 30-40 years and the buying power can be crushed by a flourishing economy. I know you are a young man that will be able to retire soon, be smart during your final years and save as much as you can. Choose a low cost area, enjoy your family and spend lots of time with them. It is a gift to retire at such a young age. If you decide to work a second career it will not be out of desperation, but rather a desire to stay busy and active. Hey, did I say to spend lots of time with your family ?
It's interesting that you seem to care about your family, and I'm assuming that means children, but are actively opposed to them having a good future. By hurting business, it has a lasting effect on the economy, one that you children will have to deal with. YOU want the economy to fail, but that's pretty crappy to want your kids to suffer. Just sayin...

Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,793,540 times
Quote:
My children are fine and will be fine. I believe in education and a desired skill set that's in demand. Small business will not be the path for my children. As far as understanding long term interest, I do. I planned for my retirement the first day I started my career. Planning is the key to success. If my interests conflict with others I will not apologize
Just because your kids will not own a small business (odd that you are planning their careers for them, instead of letting them follow whatever dreams they may have, one of those dreams may be someday owning a business), does not mean that actively working to destroy businesses will be beneficial to them.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,138,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I think Onliyliveonce view is a good representation of most locals in LV. I commend him for standing his ground on what he believes along with his honesty. I am sure there is a good percentage of people across the country looking for an opportunity like LV to move to.(low cost of living and cheap)

Just have to keep in mind that people like Onlyliveonce can never ever complain about lack of local community events, local economy, city culture and/or community involvement. This is the stuff that people like him don't want, need or expect.

The idea of "BOO HOO" failing small businesses and community interaction does not go together at all because small businesses ARE the community. Three of my neighbors own small businesses, if their business fails, their homes become vacant, which then affects my property values and possibly harvest crime.

Not everyone can work on the strip and shelters are at full capacity so...

Edit: Believe it or not, there are people who live in Vegas that would be satisfied or content with 40% unemployment.
Yeah , the problem with the valley is in fact , selfish [language] like that. It's a good part of the reason I don't want to live here anymore. It wasn't always this bad.

Last edited by observer53; 10-28-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas