Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Well that sucks.

The plant? The nuke plant?
No the cable plant but Cox did nuke analog on it. But they did give subscribers free box rental for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Just get a antenna.. Problem solved
Yep cut the cord and you will really see how much free time you have to do something worthwhile in your home. And everybody in Europe laughs at us and calls us the lazy sloths in NA that pay $800-$2000 a year to watch TV.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
If you have a friend with DirecTV or Dish ask them if they can order an extra receiver for "a new bedroom in their house" and then just drop it in your house. You can get a dish just about anywhere these days to put on your house. Then just split the bill with them.
That's called "account stacking" and a violation of the residential service agreement with Dish or DirecTV.

Account stacking is possible with legacy Dish receivers (not the Hopper/Joey setup). This is because Dish doesn't care if the old receivers never "phone home". My understanding is that Hoppers won't work unless they can phone home, and that's when Dish can detect account stacking (plus the fact that they scrutinize installations with multiple Hoppers). So you can't account stack with Hoppers unless you have a VPN setup that makes it appear that all receivers are at the same location.

I've read that account stacking hasn't been possible on DirecTV for some time, for the same reasons you can't account stack with Dish Hoppers.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
Cox is outrageous. We switched to DirectTv, cut our bill in half and we have twice as many channels.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
cable companies like to raise their prices during moving season (around May/June), the same cable package i got back in June is now $30/month cheaper.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times
We just have the basic channels and no box. Runs around $30 per month.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
That's called "account stacking" and a violation of the residential service agreement with Dish or DirecTV.

Account stacking is possible with legacy Dish receivers (not the Hopper/Joey setup). This is because Dish doesn't care if the old receivers never "phone home". My understanding is that Hoppers won't work unless they can phone home, and that's when Dish can detect account stacking (plus the fact that they scrutinize installations with multiple Hoppers). So you can't account stack with Hoppers unless you have a VPN setup that makes it appear that all receivers are at the same location.

I've read that account stacking hasn't been possible on DirecTV for some time, for the same reasons you can't account stack with Dish Hoppers.
I know 2 people in the area that have DirecTV that they share with others. 1 of them shares with a friend in the neighborhood and the other shares with a family member in New York. For that person, DirecTV somehow knows that the receiver is registered to a New York address so they do not get any of the local independent channels, they are blacked out. They do though get all local network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX) so they get to watch most of those shows 2-3 hours early. And there is no problem with all of the other channels.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
We only have Cox for internet, no more cable. My husband got tired of fighting with them every 6 months/year whatever it was to get a lower price.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:31 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
basic cable regular price here with crappy analog channels is around $65... internet is another $40... ya gotta cancel when the promo is up and get the discounts again. Right now paying $72 plus tax for basic cable, internet, and HD channels.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I agree the price is outrageous. It was a huge mistake to eliminate analog broadcasting without guaranteeing everyone would be able to use a digital antenna. I can't get anything with an antenna either.

I do pay $50 per month for HSI so I got a ROKU and I pay $7.99 for Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: