Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

Agreed, but it seems that with some of the materials available today round would not be as important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 12:53 PM

102 posts, read 114,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Soldering in very easy as the solder is drawn in by capillary action.

MOST failures will be due to poor prep.

You want things CLEAN AND SHINY !

If you run into problems let me know I could come give you a demo.

Thank you! Will let you know if we need help

Old 01-15-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I may not understand the challenge. Can you take a picture and post it? What is the countertop surface?

Is the issue there are not enough holes for the things you need (faucet, soap dispenser, air gap for dishwasher, RO spigot, instant hot, whatever?)

Is the issue that you need to drill another opening for the RO spigot?

We have quartz countertop. The challenge is to drill another opening (I mistakenly thought the air gap for dishwasher was an extra we could use for RO ).
Also, I'm liking the idea that we can keep the waste water into a tank and then use it to water the plants in the backyard (the fridge backs up right to the outer wall so I'm thinking we can drill a hole and route the waste water tube right outside to a holding tank).

Is there any downside to installing the RO in the cabinet above the fridge? We really don't mind getting our water from the fridge instead of the sink.

Also, thank you for the info on the water heater. We had no idea about it but will start doing maintenance as suggested. If you could think of anything else, please share if you don't mind. I have lots to learn

Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
You should be able to put it there. We saw one in a hospital examining room on the floor that had the tube running from it up the wall and through the ceiling. No idea where it ended up.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTee_ View Post
We have quartz countertop. The challenge is to drill another opening (I mistakenly thought the air gap for dishwasher was an extra we could use for RO ).
Also, I'm liking the idea that we can keep the waste water into a tank and then use it to water the plants in the backyard (the fridge backs up right to the outer wall so I'm thinking we can drill a hole and route the waste water tube right outside to a holding tank).

Is there any downside to installing the RO in the cabinet above the fridge? We really don't mind getting our water from the fridge instead of the sink.

Also, thank you for the info on the water heater. We had no idea about it but will start doing maintenance as suggested. If you could think of anything else, please share if you don't mind. I have lots to learn
It is actually reasonably easy to cut a suitable hole in quartz or granite. However you need to do it right the first time so I would have a good craftsman do it. I think I know how but I would not attempt it. Too expensive if you screw it up.

The water out of an RO is not pressurized. So you can run it into a tank but then you need to pump it out to use it. Not a big deal but you do need a pump, float switch and a system to direct the flow. might just use a little submersible fountain pump with a porous tube to water a couple of beds. Only real problem is you need somewhere to connect the pump to the electric system. You can get fancy but it is not a lot of water. A few gallons a day. To start you can just make a little gravel pit and run it into it.

If the RO is actually up in a high cabinet you might be able to run the thing by gravity. Set up a small tank a foot or two in the air along side the house. than run a tube to a porous tube in a bed. A foot or two of head and it might all work passively. May not as you may have to experiment with the distribution tubes with these low pressures. Fun science.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Something to think about: perhaps you could contact a quartz countertop installer & ask them to drill another hole. That might be cost effective, especially since you are saving money on other aspects of your installation.

While drilling such a hole isn't rocket science, experience helps. And I can imagine you wouldn't want to learn on your own finished countertop.

But since it isn't rocket science, I also suspect a tradesman would do it for an affordable price. It is worth a couple telephone calls.

Just so you can see the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFWvVzlGF4Y

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0A4...ature=youtu.be

Quote:
Typically, the water source for an under-the-sink installation is hard water -- that is, water that hasn't gone through your water softener. So, the wastewater will be EXTREMELY hard. I'm not sure how plants will respond.

If you install the RO elsewhere in your house, the water source will probably be soft water -- that is, water that is going through your water softener. That water will not have hardness minerals, but it will have a bunch of sodium chloride dissolved in it -- and plants in general do not respond well to lots of salt. However, if you use potassium chloride in your water softener brine tank instead of sodium chloride (for about 5x the price) your plants would love you. They respond well to potassium.

Quote:
Most likely, there is a loop underneath the kitchen sink that supplies water to the refrigerator. Houses are plumbed this way so you can have an under-the-sink RO that supplies water BOTH to a spigot on top of the sink AND to the refrigerator for cold water & ice.

While there is no downside, I suggest you re-look at the idea of drilling an extra hole as mentioned above. Another thing: if homes are still being built in your subdivision, look for a tradesman's truck. If you see one, go over and ask one of the guys doing an installation if he could drill a hole for you. He'd come take a look and tell you if there are any "gotchas" that would make it a challenge. He might just drill it for you on the spot for a cash tip.

Quote:
The joys -- and headaches -- of homeownership are their own reward.

One other thing, since you asked: HVAC filters. The purpose of the disposable HVAC filter is to protect the HVAC unit. It is NOT to reduce the amount of dust you'll see inside your house. The best thing to do is to buy inexpensive filters and change them every month rather than to buy expensive filters and change them every 3 months. Your house will be dusty because you are living in the desert, and some people mistakenly think a more restrictive HVAC filter will cut down on the dust on your furniture & countertops. It won't.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 01-16-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If the RO is actually up in a high cabinet you might be able to run the thing by gravity. Set up a small tank a foot or two in the air along side the house. than run a tube to a porous tube in a bed. A foot or two of head and it might all work passively. May not as you may have to experiment with the distribution tubes with these low pressures. Fun science.
Yes the cabinet above the fridge is pretty high so gravity would do majority of the work but Sporty's comment making me think this plan might not work anymore (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Something to think about: perhaps you could contact a quartz countertop installer & ask them to drill another hole. That might be cost effective, especially since you are saving money on other aspects of your installation.

While drilling such a hole isn't rocket science, experience helps. And I can imagine you wouldn't want to learn on your own finished countertop.

But since it isn't rocket science, I also suspect a tradesman would do it for an affordable price. It is worth a couple telephone calls.

Just so you can see the process:

Typically, the water source for an under-the-sink installation is hard water -- that is, water that hasn't gone through your water softener. So, the wastewater will be EXTREMELY hard. I'm not sure how plants will respond.

If you install the RO elsewhere in your house, the water source will probably be soft water -- that is, water that is going through your water softener. That water will not have hardness minerals, but it will have a bunch of sodium chloride dissolved in it -- and plants in general do not respond well to lots of salt. However, if you use potassium chloride in your water softener brine tank instead of sodium chloride (for about 5x the price) your plants would love you. They respond well to potassium.

Most likely, there is a loop underneath the kitchen sink that supplies water to the refrigerator. Houses are plumbed this way so you can have an under-the-sink RO that supplies water BOTH to a spigot on top of the sink AND to the refrigerator for cold water & ice.

While there is no downside, I suggest you re-look at the idea of drilling an extra hole as mentioned above. Another thing: if homes are still being built in your subdivision, look for a tradesman's truck. If you see one, go over and ask one of the guys doing an installation if he could drill a hole for you. He'd come take a look and tell you if there are any "gotchas" that would make it a challenge. He might just drill it for you on the spot for a cash tip.

The joys -- and headaches -- of homeownership are their own reward.

One other thing, since you asked: HVAC filters. The purpose of the disposable HVAC filter is to protect the HVAC unit. It is NOT to reduce the amount of dust you'll see inside your house. The best thing to do is to buy inexpensive filters and change them every month rather than to buy expensive filters and change them every 3 months. Your house will be dusty because you are living in the desert, and some people mistakenly think a more restrictive HVAC filter will cut down on the dust on your furniture & countertops. It won't.
Yeah the quartz slab is quite large, definitely not a good idea to experiment for the first time there. I'll try calling couple installers once I get a chance later today or see if I can catch the guys in nearby new homes that are still being built (my area is completely done).

The fridge water line is coming from the wall behind it but I'm not sure if it's connected to some line under the sink. The picture of what's under the sink is attached below. To its right is the dishwasher. The fridge is to its left through cabinet, stove, another cabinet, then fridge.
We'll be using sodium chloride instead of potassium chloride.

Thanks for the tips on the HVAC filters. Didn't know that either.
I'll add the filter to my shopping list.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2017 at 01:08 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Yes the cabinet above the fridge is pretty high so gravity would do majority of the work but Sporty's comment making me think this plan might not work anymore (see below).

Yeah the quartz slab is quite large, definitely not a good idea to experiment for the first time there. I'll try calling couple installers once I get a chance later today or see if I can catch the guys in nearby new homes that are still being built (my area is completely done).

The fridge water line is coming from the wall behind it but I'm not sure if it's connected to some line under the sink. The picture of what's under the sink is attached below. To its right is the dishwasher. The fridge is to its left through cabinet, stove, another cabinet, then fridge.
We'll be using sodium chloride instead of potassium chloride.

Thanks for the tips on the HVAC filters. Didn't know that either.
I'll add the filter to my shopping list.
There is the three connections to the hot cold and conditioned water. There is also a connection right behind the garbage disposal that could well be the one to the refrigerator. Ask someone. The drain from the dishwasher appears to go up to a vacuum breaker and the black pipe brings it back to the disposal. There also appears to be a black object behind the disposal. I would also want to know what it is.

There is also some sort of a port back there. Gray gadget in a round cut out. You might also ask what that is for.

You are also the first house I have seen with the air vent on the drain. That is a new thing. Name on it is Studor. It replaces the vent pipe that used to go through the roof.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,805,055 times
not sure how difficult quartz is to drill through, but I did drill through our nice granite to install an R/O system

if you go this route, and buy that diamond drill hole saw I would suggest also watching other youtube videos. the one above has the guy starting the drill directly downwards at a perfect 90 degree angle... most likely if you did that on granite the hole saw would slip all over the place...

when i did mine, i started at a 45 degree angle and then slowly brought the hole saw to 90 degrees while drilling

it's probably better to hire experts to do it... the cost of the diamond hole saw is at least $20 and you're looking at thousands of dollars if you screw it up

Old 01-17-2017, 11:47 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Line behind disposal with gray braided cover appears to be the supply for a pull-out faucet head. One end loops down from the faucet manifold where hot and cold water are mixed, and the other end goes up inside and out the faucet arm. There should be a weight clamped on it a little above the lowest point.

Gray port in the back appears to be a drain cleanout, maybe.

Lower supply on left is hot water for dishwasher.

My guess is your refrigerator water supply is on its own copper pipe, likely shared with the unconditioned cold water supply to your kitchen sink. I'd just use the filter in the refrigerator, if there is one, or install a separate one, like this:

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/spec/GXRLQ

on the wall behind the fridge and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: