Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM

91 posts, read 175,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
This previously worthwhile thread is now becoming trite (and seemingly worthless).
and your contribution is?

grow up, this is a forum. Do you really take everything so seriously on a forum of annoyomous people?

wow. people are that gullible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas2005 View Post
and your contribution is?

grow up, this is a forum. Do you really take everything so seriously on a forum of annoyomous people?

wow. people are that gullible.

Ok, I'm gullible and I need to grow up. My kids have been telling me that for years.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Ok, I'm gullible and I need to grow up. My kids have been telling me that for years.
sorry if I was rude.

The market here is absolutely terrible, and anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it.

So many people are not paying their mortage, so things are much worse than the data shows.

I live in a good area, and things have gone down since I bought five years ago. The supermarkets (this is a good way to access an area, the quality of the supermarkets, right?) in my area, the managers are seeing more food stamps then ever, and the store looks like **** compared to a few years ago because they don't care to spend on keeping up the store.

Back to the prices: there are condos in LVCC that are going for under 40k. The association fees are about $300 a month, so that might be why they are not selling. Still, for 40k, you would think that is a steal, but there are several properties that have been on the market, in LVCC, for a lengthly time, as these are cash transactions. Many people here have money to gamble and are broke as a result, they don't have money saved up, that is for sure.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas2005 View Post
sorry if I was rude.

The market here is absolutely terrible, and anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it.

So many people are not paying their mortage, so things are much worse than the data shows.

I live in a good area, and things have gone down since I bought five years ago. The supermarkets (this is a good way to access an area, the quality of the supermarkets, right?) in my area, the managers are seeing more food stamps then ever, and the store looks like **** compared to a few years ago because they don't care to spend on keeping up the store.

Back to the prices: there are condos in LVCC that are going for under 40k. The association fees are about $300 a month, so that might be why they are not selling. Still, for 40k, you would think that is a steal, but there are several properties that have been on the market, in LVCC, for a lengthly time, as these are cash transactions. Many people here have money to gamble and are broke as a result, they don't have money saved up, that is for sure.
Those condos in LVCC are ancient apartments recently converted with very high HOAs. Mostly an accident waiting to happen.

There are lots of nice though older condos/townhouses in LVCC. But not for $40K.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Those condos in LVCC are ancient apartments recently converted with very high HOAs. Mostly an accident waiting to happen.

There are lots of nice though older condos/townhouses in LVCC. But not for $40K.

Thanks for the feedback. That make perfect sense. 1974, right?

What zips do you see value in? I have 89131 as the best value, although, it seems deserted a bit up that Northwest corner.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,952,172 times
This article is important to read not only as a seller but a buyer.
For the buyer this article illustrates that if your trying to purchase a short sale how it can be sabotaged, by the bank stipulating in the verbiage that they will go after the seller for the deficiency up to 6 months on a principal and 6 yrs on a second loan. Also the bank may ask the seller to pay a portion of the deficiency before they will release the loan.

And for sellers of distressed properties this point out the problems they can encounter in trying to do a short sale. Granted one bank points out that they have done over $800,000 in modifications, it's just my opinion but I would guess most of those are done in states that homes aren't as upside down like they are in and around Las Vegas. Banks and investors are more apt to respond to a short sale that doesn't have such a loss on it and the reason could be the bank or investor will recoup more on the loan.

Homeowners say banks rebuffing attempts to modify mortgages

Source Las Vegas Review Journal.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
For the buyer this article illustrates that if your trying to purchase a short sale how it can be sabotaged, by the bank stipulating in the verbiage that they will go after the seller for the deficiency up to 6 months on a principal and 6 yrs on a second loan. Also the bank may ask the seller to pay a portion of the deficiency before they will release the loan.

And for sellers of distressed properties this point out the problems they can encounter in trying to do a short sale. Granted one bank points out that they have done over $800,000 in modifications, it's just my opinion but I would guess most of those are done in states that homes aren't as upside down like they are in and around Las Vegas. Banks and investors are more apt to respond to a short sale that doesn't have such a loss on it and the reason could be the bank or investor will recoup more on the loan.

At what point do these people realize that the bank isn't going to help, and just walk?

When I hear stories of people dipping into their retirement accounts to save an underwater home, I cringe.

Worse part is that these prices will stay down for at least another 5 years, and closer to 10, as Harry Reid (LOL) has failed to create the JOBS he promised. thanks Harry!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:

Nothing new here. Same as it has been for the last two or three years..

When you do a short you get relief on any seconds or you don't do it.

Generally the firsts will buy off the second at ten cents on the dollar. The second than release the debt as well as the lien.

If you can't get either lender to cooperate you go foreclosure and then bankrupt. You need to do both.

This has been the pattern throughout. It may well occur that if it gets bad enough the banks will actually make meaningful principal reductions. But so far no way.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,952,172 times
This article could be bad news for the home buyer that needs to have a loan to purchase.
Unfortunately the GSE's like Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac have huge problems due to poor under writing, for instance like giving loans to people that shouldn't have gotten them. However instead of making the underwriting more accountable and tightening the means test to get future loans they are talking about getting rid of them.

Whether you agree we should keep Fannie Mae or Freddy Mac they along with FHA and VA help would be home owners with lower down payments and 30 yrs to pay. Most home owners only stay from 2 to 5 yrs in a home, thus the loan under normal circumstances gets paid off.

Most would be buyer's can afford the payments, they just don't have the large down payment. If the loans gets shorten the payments will go up, and that buyer has been taken out of the market.

The banks don't like to write 30 yr notes and if they do it will be at a higher interest rate and will require more down. This will not only hurt the buyer but sellers as well.

Federal mortgage assistance going away?

The House of Representatives passed two bills to rescind federal funding for mortgage modification programs last week, the first steps toward getting the government out of the home lending business.
Source: Las Vegas Sun

Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
This article could be bad news for the home buyer that needs to have a loan to purchase.
Unfortunately the GSE's like Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac have huge problems due to poor under writing, for instance like giving loans to people that shouldn't have gotten them. However instead of making the underwriting more accountable and tightening the means test to get future loans they are talking about getting rid of them.

Whether you agree we should keep Fannie Mae or Freddy Mac they along with FHA and VA help would be home owners with lower down payments and 30 yrs to pay. Most home owners only stay from 2 to 5 yrs in a home, thus the loan under normal circumstances gets paid off.

Most would be buyer's can afford the payments, they just don't have the large down payment. If the loans gets shorten the payments will go up, and that buyer has been taken out of the market.

The banks don't like to write 30 yr notes and if they do it will be at a higher interest rate and will require more down. This will not only hurt the buyer but sellers as well.

Federal mortgage assistance going away?

The House of Representatives passed two bills to rescind federal funding for mortgage modification programs last week, the first steps toward getting the government out of the home lending business.
Source: Las Vegas Sun

Uh, I didn't think Fannie or Freddy actually originate mortgages. I thought they were liquidity entities - they bought the mortgages from mortgages originators and then sold them to investors, thereby supplying the banks with cash to issue new loans; the latter are the entities that, in retrospect, issued loans to people who should not have received them (although even that latter statement is controversial; Rep. Maxine Watters, D-CA to this day praises Fannie & Freddie for buying sub-prime loans because it helped improve the economic condition of her constituents in poor, mostly black SoCal congressional district).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas