Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 05:03 PM

60 posts, read 48,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Congratulations for winning the most ignorant post of the day award...
You think so?

The South (and I include Texas) is an intellectual mess. Most of the residents are rednecks. The schools suck. The culture (besides New Orleans) is awful.

Nope. Disagree with you.

Upstate NY is the best place to live (west of Albany). Be a trooper and bundle up in the winter, and you are going to make up for it with great housing prices, four seasons, STABLE people unlike the stupid South, and a state that is run right (despite the higher taxes).

Update NY/Western PA are the best areas IMO on the East Coast.

If I had family in Idaho/Utah/Montanta/Wyoming....I would move there though....as these areas are great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM

20 posts, read 17,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
To those who think I am wrong on the amount of HOA dues in Sun City Summerlin, here are a few current listings that show higher amounts.

https://www.redfin.com/NV/Las-Vegas/.../home/29148161 HOA $307

https://www.redfin.com/NV/Las-Vegas/.../home/29106445 HOA $279

https://www.redfin.com/NV/Las-Vegas/.../home/29106427 HOA $217

https://www.redfin.com/NV/Las-Vegas/.../home/29151973 HOA $176
Those are all townhouses with two HOAs

Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesrfellow View Post
Those are all townhouses with two HOAs
Yeah. Cherry picking to make a point does have it's problems.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joey A View Post
You think so?

The South (and I include Texas) is an intellectual mess. Most of the residents are rednecks. The schools suck. The culture (besides New Orleans) is awful.

Nope. Disagree with you.

Upstate NY is the best place to live (west of Albany). Be a trooper and bundle up in the winter, and you are going to make up for it with great housing prices, four seasons, STABLE people unlike the stupid South, and a state that is run right (despite the higher taxes).

If I had family in Idaho/Utah/Montanta/Wyoming....I would move there though....as these areas are great too.
Wow your ignorant mess...with all these generalizations and stereotypes and then you say Upstate NY like that area doesn't have rednecks or uneducated people. That area is declining because they are all moving down south and out west.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:31 AM

255 posts, read 451,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah. Cherry picking to make a point does have it's problems.
If you're talking about my posting the listings that show higher HOA dues in Sun City, how is anyone supposed to know that some houses have 2 HOAs? I didn't know that. It doesn't say that anywhere in the listings. And why do they have 2 HOAs? Why are they all different amounts? I seriously want to know.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:43 AM

294 posts, read 236,461 times
Mr. Joe A
The culture is lacking in Vegas.

Well, I am coming from Vienna. I grew up with nothing than history and culture. Enough of Mozart, now it is time for Elton John As an European, Las Vegas provides for me American Culture. So, at least for me, this is highly interesting and I consider it full of culture

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Mr. Joe A
The culture is lacking in Vegas.

Well, I am coming from Vienna. I grew up with nothing than history and culture. Enough of Mozart, now it is time for Elton John As an European, Las Vegas provides for me American Culture. So, at least for me, this is highly interesting and I consider it full of culture
LV offers a lot! Great natural desert beauty, incredible entertainment and theatre opportunities, wonderful restaurants, well-priced housing, generally low-cost air travel from the LV airport. In addition, within 5 hours' drive are San Diego, Los Angeles, Prescott, Flagstaff. The hiking at Lake Mead, Red Rock Canyon and Mt. Charleston is just wonderful. And there are many local hikes around Henderson. Cost of living is very good with no State income taxes.

That said, there is some culture -- but for really good museums catch a cheap flight to Chicago or New York. The medical care here is sub-par with outrageously long waiting lists for appointments with notable doctors. Some people with serious chronic health issues do move away to Dallas, Houston, Chicago and other cities.
The schools here don't, in general, have great reputations. And there are many property crimes.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
If you're talking about my posting the listings that show higher HOA dues in Sun City, how is anyone supposed to know that some houses have 2 HOAs? I didn't know that. It doesn't say that anywhere in the listings. And why do they have 2 HOAs? Why are they all different amounts? I seriously want to know.
A full MLS listing makes it clear which homes have two HOAs. The short forms used by Zillow and Trulia do not have that. Only the total. In Sun City Summerlin there are over 5,000 single family residents that pay on the single HOA fee and over 2,000 town homes which have two HOAs. The second HOA fee provides landscaping for the area and external maintenance on the buildings. The second HOAs are neighborhood sized and vary in the fee structure from about $150 to about 200.

This is the sort of information that any RE Agent can provide.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
A full MLS listing makes it clear which homes have two HOAs. The short forms used by Zillow and Trulia do not have that. Only the total. In Sun City Summerlin there are over 5,000 single family residents that pay on the single HOA fee and over 2,000 town homes which have two HOAs. The second HOA fee provides landscaping for the area and external maintenance on the buildings. The second HOAs are neighborhood sized and vary in the fee structure from about $150 to about 200.

This is the sort of information that any RE Agent can provide.
Same situation for Sun City Anthem. All residential properties have an HOA rate of about $100/mo and that includes all community amenities and care and maintenance of common buildings and grounds. But townhouses have an additional HOA fee of $150-200/mo and that includes mowing, irrigation and all grounds care of the homes (they all have grass - not desert landscaping) as well as some exterior structure maintenance. There is also a small section of SCA that is gated with single family houses; they also have an additional HOA fee for gate, interior common grounds and perimeter wall maintenance.

Now, assume you own a house in one of the Sun Cities with grass (not my recommendation) and you pay $150 while an SFA/townhouse pays $300. You will still have to pay for lawn mowing and irrigation so your actual expense will likely be equal or maybe higher than the home with the higher rate.

After many years of owning HOA properties, I have learned to compare HOA fees in the same community and when I see significant differences, I am pretty certain there are 2+ HOA's within the community and properties will have different rates based on services. And then I know I need to learn more.....

Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM

455 posts, read 652,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joey A View Post
You think so?

Nope. Disagree with you.

So blatantly biased and just plain wrong, but haters will hate... You need a broader set of experiences, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas