Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,081 times

Advertisements

olecapt. you gotta stop stalking RedWingsFan. I've read all the blogs and they are all civil, including the request for you to stop following RWF. I'm reading this from Hawaii and you are scaring all readers by demonstrating how desparate realtors are. The same goes for the media that won't report anything negative about "Leaving Las Vegas". Everyone can see through your harrassment. There are people who are willing to put up with what has been described here. Leave alone the others to describe their objective experiencene that help the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
One thing, olecapt is not a stalker. Where do people get these crazy idea's from??
There are so many Vegas forums and alot of us go to them all on a regular basis. That does not make someone a stalker.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waipahu View Post
olecapt. you gotta stop stalking RedWingsFan. I've read all the blogs and they are all civil, including the request for you to stop following RWF. I'm reading this from Hawaii and you are scaring all readers by demonstrating how desparate realtors are. The same goes for the media that won't report anything negative about "Leaving Las Vegas". Everyone can see through your harrassment. There are people who are willing to put up with what has been described here. Leave alone the others to describe their objective experiencene that help the rest of us.
Thank you! I'm glad that someone else noticed this. He used to follow me around the Las Vegas boards and try to refute everything I said, even though it's my opinion. It's crazy and very desperate time for realtors like him. BUT... weeks ago I found out how to put him on my ignore list! yeah. Now I can't see any of his posts. It's great. I dont know what he writes because I can't see any of it.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waipahu View Post
Redwingfan stalks Las Vegas. She is full of misleading and incorrect information. I just keep her honest.

She is welcome to her opinions. She is not welcome to mis-state facts.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 49,074 times
Cool Take off your blindfolds, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nonsense...utter nonsense. I have never seen homeless in Summerlin, GV or the Northwest. The use of drugs is about the same as any American city. You can get any drug of choice in St George. They are also available in any American High School.

I do not recommend children on the strip whether Vegas dwellers or visitors. The Strip is an adult place. Children have little problem gaining access to steamy pictures. Ever seen the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition?

Crime is not particularly high in Las Vegas. It is about 28th of the 50 larger metros. Middle of the Pack. If you want to live in a metro area with a third less crime than Las Vegas you have the choice of suburban Long Island, suburban Washington, suburban Atlanta or Honolulu. That is it. If you want less crime than Henderson you have a county in Viriginia and a suburab of NYC. That's it.

Get your head straight. The doomsayers will jump all over Vegas with derogatory garbage...check around...they do the same for Phoenix and Tucson and Los Angeles and San Diego ....and...wherever. These are simply unhappy people unable to make peace with their own shortcomings who make war on where they live or used to live or visited once or heard about.

It is really dumb but inherent in the web.

Summerlin, Green Valley, Spanish Trails are all HOA's. They are essentially gated communities with private police. You do not live in the real Las Vegas. You do not know the real Las Vegas. Go live in Sunrise Manor, North Las Vegas, or even Henderson aka Henderhell. Walk the streets. Meet the real people who make the town what it is. I live in an area of Florida that is not too much unlike LV, due to the cultures, mixed neighborhoods, ect., but most of the area is extremely nice. I live in the city of Fort Myers. I work in Cape Coral. I know what the insurance prices are, and I know that if you live on or within 5 miles of any beach your insurance ratesa are through the roof. I do not live in a mobile home either, for the same reason--insurance is too high. I would rather live here than have to worry if my daughter is going to be drigged, kidnapped, or murdered everyday just for being outside playing. I could tell you oh so much about your beloved white collar neighborhoods, and what you are hiding from, but one must be willing to take off their blindfold first. I will go one even better, I DARE you to walk around D street and Washington or Lake mead Blvd after dark, by yourself, and see if you do not change your mind. Try the naked city, the area behind the Stratosphere (formerly Bob Stupacks) after dark. You would not survive. You are not really safe in your nice little gated communities either, as most of the time people jump the walls to steal from you, rob you, or worse, then they can just drive out with your vehicles because there is no codes to put into the gate for people leaving. Now how much more do you really want to know. I am still and always be a proud native born Vegan, but I was not too proud to leave while I had the opportunity to make sure that my family was still alive and safe.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myssthyng View Post
Summerlin, Green Valley, Spanish Trails are all HOA's. They are essentially gated communities with private police.
Nonsense. Total Nonsense. Summerlin is patrolled by Metro...just like the Naked City. There are no gates or private police except in some small number of ritzy tracts.

Green Valley is patrolled by the Henderson Police Force just like Henderson. No private police. Again a few ritzy tracts may have securtiy patrols but that's it.

Spanish Trails is a gated community...but police service is still provided by Metro. They do have a security patrol.

Quote:
You do not live in the real Las Vegas. You do not know the real Las Vegas. Go live in Sunrise Manor, North Las Vegas, or even Henderson aka Henderhell. Walk the streets. Meet the real people who make the town what it is. I live in an area of Florida that is not too much unlike LV, due to the cultures, mixed neighborhoods, ect., but most of the area is extremely nice. I live in the city of Fort Myers. I work in Cape Coral. I know what the insurance prices are, and I know that if you live on or within 5 miles of any beach your insurance ratesa are through the roof. I do not live in a mobile home either, for the same reason--insurance is too high. I would rather live here than have to worry if my daughter is going to be drigged, kidnapped, or murdered everyday just for being outside playing. I could tell you oh so much about your beloved white collar neighborhoods, and what you are hiding from, but one must be willing to take off their blindfold first. I will go one even better, I DARE you to walk around D street and Washington or Lake mead Blvd after dark, by yourself, and see if you do not change your mind. Try the naked city, the area behind the Stratosphere (formerly Bob Stupacks) after dark. You would not survive.
Of course I would survive. Sold homes in bad neighborhoods. Have a listing at the moment in Sunrise Manor. I am big and capable of defending myself...but I don't need to very often. I would agree that the neighborhood are much more dangerous than Summerlin..but that deals with the obvious socio/economic factors and is the same as the bad neighborhoods in all big cities.

Quote:
You are not really safe in your nice little gated communities either, as most of the time people jump the walls to steal from you, rob you, or worse, then they can just drive out with your vehicles because there is no codes to put into the gate for people leaving. Now how much more do you really want to know. I am still and always be a proud native born Vegan, but I was not too proud to leave while I had the opportunity to make sure that my family was still alive and safe.
Gated communities are not particularly safer than non-gated ones...but the suburban neighborhoods are simply much safer than the inner city neighborhoods. And very small parts of GV or Summerlin are gated. Actually more common for condos or apartments in middling or bad neighborhoods than for moderate priced tracts in nice neighborhoods.

Where you gonna go...the last awful crime against children occured where? A rural amish settlement. Where you going safer than that? Florida? You are kidding.

You need to understant that you have some sort of a phobia against Las Vegas...not that something is wrong there.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
Actually, it depends what part of sunrise manor, the farthest east you go and up the mountain, the safer it is. I always feel safer in the NE than in Green Valley, less drug dealers, more cars and people on the street, more strip malls to be safer in...BTW, I walk through the NE in the dark as well. HenderHell is true, Henderson east of Gibson is pretty scary, try Major and Boulder or along College Drive. Green Valley and Henderson is far from gated. I don't know how people automatically assume that all of Henderson is safe, rich, or a great place to live, just like how people assume all of NLV or the NE is ghetto.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM

32 posts, read 621,073 times
Don't ever trust anything Real Estate Agents have to say unless it is something negative. They have an agenda. Once I know someone is a real estate agent whateve he says is not valid to me. Kind of like the way I treat used cars salesman. Even if they are telling the truth, 99.9999% of the time the are either flat out lying or just trying to put a positive spin on things.

- Forbes and Fortune magazine are predicting a 15% drop in real estate in Vegas the next 2 years. I would consider these reputable sources.
http://www.lasvegashomesmlssearch.co...says-magazine/

- auto theft rate is the 3rd highest in 2005. I heard in 2006 Vegas is #1
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/23/Auto...ties/index.htm

- Education, Nevada is 2nd dumbest state in the whole country. Education system sucks. http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank06.htm

Regardless of this I am still looking to buy a place in Vegas. GV and some parts of Henderson are nice. It is close to LA, and not too far from the Bay Area. For $450k I can get a very nice place in a very nice area, in the Bay Area 1200 ft beater cost $700k. I am pretty much set on a guard gated community.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
Don't ever trust anything Real Estate Agents have to say unless it is something negative. They have an agenda. Once I know someone is a real estate agent whateve he says is not valid to me. Kind of like the way I treat used cars salesman. Even if they are telling the truth, 99.9999% of the time the are either flat out lying or just trying to put a positive spin on things.

- Forbes and Fortune magazine are predicting a 15% drop in real estate in Vegas the next 2 years. I would consider these reputable sources.
http://www.lasvegashomesmlssearch.co...says-magazine/

- auto theft rate is the 3rd highest in 2005. I heard in 2006 Vegas is #1
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/23/Auto...ties/index.htm

- Education, Nevada is 2nd dumbest state in the whole country. Education system sucks. http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank06.htm

Regardless of this I am still looking to buy a place in Vegas. GV and some parts of Henderson are nice. It is close to LA, and not too far from the Bay Area. For $450k I can get a very nice place in a very nice area, in the Bay Area 1200 ft beater cost $700k. I am pretty much set on a guard gated community.
Well being one of "them" you will know I am lying when I point out...

Las Vegas does have a problem with stolen cars. It is particularly driven by tourist and strip parking. It also deals with relative convenience to the Mexican border.

For the schools Las Vegas is in the middle of the pack...Vastly better than most California urban districts. The state numbers are misleading. You end up comparing Las Vegas and Washoe, large urban areas, against states with large non-urban areas. If however you do it by city versus city Las Vegas does much better. Not outstanding though - in the middle.

Don't hold you breath for a bubble break. Been prophesied here for the last two years. May well be some gentle settling but no indications of a price break. Been out with a buyer at the $750K level for the last couple of weeks. Have made four offers none of which were unreasonable. Got back one unreasonalbe counter. I wish someone would tell these sellers that it is a buyers market.

On the other hand there is no particular reason to buy now in Vegas if you are happy with what you can rent. I see no big runup this year. I would project the year at someplace between 3 or 4% down and 3 or 4% up. Be aware though - many of the nicer neighborhoods in GV and Summerlin have few or no rentals. You can do pretty well in the subdivision with high flipper ownership. These are newer and nice places though the whole neighborhood is likely to be transient. It can get messy when the rentals exceed 50%.

As to the agenda of RE agents you, like many, don't understand. RE Agents don't care whether the market goes up or down...only that the velocity be high. It is the rate of sales we care about.

So this is a terrible market for RE Agents...and most of the operations are moving heaven and earth to lower prices...to increase velocity. The standard "lie" is drop your price and sell now before the bottom drops out. It does not appear to be working.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:46 PM

32 posts, read 621,073 times
Nothing against you persoannly olecept, I think you are legit because you post on a forum. I should have been more clear in my post, I meant when working with an agent always research whatever they say.

My offer just got accepted so very soon I will be a new resident in the Palm Hills community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas