Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Closing down the strip, for any event, is absolutely retarded. It's a logistical nightmare for people trying to move about the city.
And it walls a metric poop ton of people into a confined area. I will be at home for New year, like I am every year, because screw that big ball of potential terror.
Same here. I just dislike crowds that big. I go to the strip a minimum of times. Shows on occasion (inside) and eating. I used to love walking there when we vacationed here. Now I don't have a desire to be there that much. That said we have plans for Giordano's this week (maybe) and there is a restaurant that has outdoor seating friends tell us is great for people watching. We will still do those things because, like a lot of others, I refuse to let a crazy ***** influence my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Same here. I just dislike crowds that big. I go to the strip a minimum of times. Shows on occasion (inside) and eating. I used to love walking there when we vacationed here. Now I don't have a desire to be there that much. That said we have plans for Giordano's this week (maybe) and there is a restaurant that has outdoor seating friends tell us is great for people watching. We will still do those things because, like a lot of others, I refuse to let a crazy ***** influence my life.

I like being in control and you can't be in control in crowds like that. I have been married 15 years. I am not cared of death, at all. I am just not willing to deal with the sheeple that can't efficiently move about.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:22 AM

638 posts, read 594,687 times
I like that being married 15 years makes you no longer fear death!

Anyway thoughts with you all. I'm 7800 miles away at present and it's horrible seeing my fb feeds full of this. One friend drove a wounded girl to hospital, and another friend has a friend in intensive care. Horrible.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:42 AM

183 posts, read 292,636 times
It was a sad and tragic loss of innocent lives! RIP

Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I haven’t read all the posts, but to me, the most chilling thing about this is that NOBODY could see it coming.
A regular guy just snaps. There is no way to protect ourselves against that.
We all just have today, guys, so treat each day as precious.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:34 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
The death toll has risen to 59 and this is probably not the end of the count. Such a tragedy inflicted by one person!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shootin...latest-update/

Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
I still find it odd that a man with no military background can stockpile
That amount of ammo and hit targets at 4-500 yards from 32 floors up . The fact he planned the windows/angles and built tripods for his aim
Tells me something is off with these reports
Lots of bullets, shooting into a crowd = 59 dead, no talent there.

At 64 years old, shooting at night from that distance I would bet he couldn't even see individual people but rather just shot randomly. He may have gotten some help when they turned the flood lights on after the singer left the stage.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:08 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,797,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I haven’t read all the posts, but to me, the most chilling thing about this is that NOBODY could see it coming.
A regular guy just snaps. There is no way to protect ourselves against that.
We all just have today, guys, so treat each day as precious.
I agree. So far there hasn't been a reason that we can understand as to why this happened. There is a certain comfort in knowing why someone does something like this. It is some much easier when you can blame his politics, religion, mental health, or personal life for the reason he went off. For the people left behind, you can blame a group because one of their members did this, or you can blame someone for not seeing the signs and saying something. But this case is different, there doesn't seem to be a reason, there doesn't seem to be have been any signs, I'm not sure how this really could have been prevented. [mod cut]

I'm not sure how we, as a society, will deal with the fact that someone who was not a political or religious radical, wasn't mentally ill, and lived a life that many people would envy, just decided that he wanted to kill a bunch of people.

Last edited by volosong; 10-03-2017 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: gun control discussion not appropriate for this thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lots of bullets, shooting into a crowd = 59 dead, no talent there.

At 64 years old, shooting at night from that distance I would bet he couldn't even see individual people but rather just shot randomly. He may have gotten some help when they turned the flood lights on after the singer left the stage.
Why the hell would they have turned the floodlights on?!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Why the hell would they have turned the floodlights on?!
Probably to help people find their way out. I imagine no one really fully had comprehended what was happening at that point. Many still thought it was firecrackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas