Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 05:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If it weren't for the brutal summer weather there would be about 10 million people squeezed into Southern Nevada. While I could tolerate it, I didn't enjoy summers at all and eventually moved out because of it. But certainly if you live in Las Vegas you will find lots of people who can't wait for 100 degree days to start and be sad at the thought of an 80 degree high temperature day.
On a heat index basis much of the large southern cities like Dallas and Houston and many others are worse than Las Vegas. So if you find Las Vegas difficult suggest that you move out of the lower half of the US...nothing there for you...

Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
On a heat index basis much of the large southern cities like Dallas and Houston and many others are worse than Las Vegas. So if you find Las Vegas difficult suggest that you move out of the lower half of the US...nothing there for you...
I moved to a climate that works much better for me as cold winters don't bother me. Everyone should go find weather they like, with a little bit of internet research its not hard to find the right spot or spots. Las Vegas summers are not enjoyable for many as evidenced by the masses of people that flood into coastal California in the summer as much as they can.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That's funny. My long term plans may include a Vegas/Chicago split.

I'd do it if I could. I don't want the expense and hassle of owning two homes. You have to have someone take care of each home when you aren't there. What if the pipes freeze and burst in Chicago while your in Vegas? Some folks own many homes in many different places. That would be nice, I'd like to have homes in Paris and Florence too, lol.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:20 PM

628 posts, read 397,674 times
Quote:
I will give you a couple of arguments. In 25 years here and 20 years selling real estate I have seen one snowfall that led to snowmen and snow forts. And that was a very narrow zone in southern Henderson. In that storm the NW got none. We just had a snow in the NW a couple of weeks ago. Kind of neat but it started around dawn and it was all gone by noon. And that is it for the last couple of years.

I would also point out I live in a forest with a couple of large Bermuda lawns. We have some very nice desert slices in front but they are all quite green. But sections of native underbrush.

And I think 117 has been reached only a few times in recorded history. Normal highs rarely get above 110. And average highs are well less than that.
My indoctrination period if you will was Mid May 2018 to 09-2018 and that was a particularly hot summer for my trial by fire (no pun intended.) I recall stumbling around in 115 degree heat quite routinely or at least to say 110-115. It was not uncommon.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Heck, even where I am from in the upper Midwest, having lived in Minneapolis and Wisconsin, those summers can be quite sultry as well with prohibitive heat indexes. I lived near St. Louis also and and I think I would take Vegas over those places at least for July, August, September.

Oh, and I hate bugs! Only thing I liked about Anchorage really.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
As with most of those jobs they are immigrant laborers for whom $7.25 an hour is 5-10 times what they could make an hour at home. They manage to not only live on it, but send some of their money home. Just a matter of what sacrifices we want to make to get by.
I remember housekeepers in Brooklyn making 7.25 an hour and thinking they must consolidate housing expenses and keep their families together to make ends meet. I gave one a 10 dollar tip once and she was overjoyed.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:03 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
I was in Chicago one summer when it hit over 100 degrees. The high rise condo we were staying in had not switched from heat to air conditioning yet, it was scheduled to happen the next day.

Condo was on the 40th floor, it was so hot we had to sleep in the park across the street that night. Many people died in the heatwave that year.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:48 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
Quote:
If it weren't for the brutal summer weather there would be about 10 million people squeezed into Southern Nevada. While I could tolerate it, I didn't enjoy summers at all and eventually moved out because of it. But certainly if you live in Las Vegas you will find lots of people who can't wait for 100 degree days to start and be sad at the thought of an 80 degree high temperature day.
Yup, you are right -- I'm definitely one of those people. I am sad when the high isn't 100 degrees, I love the heat! And you're right again about the people, it's obvious that I'm in the minority because if I weren't, this place would be PACKED. It would have way too many people living here.

I acknowledge that my love of the heat is based on a position of privilege, though, and I wouldn't share this point of view if I had to be working outside in the heat all summer long. If I were an HVAC contractor, worked in landscaping, construction, or otherwise had to be out and about most of the day. For me, I can stay inside at all times if I want, and only engage with the heat on my terms -- which is swimming every single day. I think 100+ is ideal swimming weather because you're never cold when you get out of the pool, there's a warm blanket of heat that surrounds you, and it feels awesome. You also get those super nice warm nights and for me, there is nothing that beats a warm night where it's still hot at midnight, 2 a.m., etc. It's just the best!

I am really not a cold tolerant person. I nearly froze to death the other day helping my handyman with mounting a 50" outdoor TV, I was mostly standing around waiting for when he needed help, and it was windy and like 55 degrees.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,798 times
Quote:
The last summer that we lived in the Oklahoma City area, we had six straight weeks of no rain and temps above 100 degrees. We came to Las Vegas to arrange employment and housing, and we were here for about a week. It was 110-112, and it felt cooler.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:00 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
The low humidity makes an enormous difference. It's hard to describe to people who aren't familiar with it on a day in, day out basis. Like 90 degrees here is NOT "hot," it's pleasant. But in Portland where I came from, 90 can be unpleasant -- it feels much hotter. Whereas here, even swimming in the low 80s requires me to put the pool temperature up above where I'd really like it normally (more like 88 versus 85 in the summer) because it just doesn't feel that warm outside. I pretty much subtract 10 degrees from our temperature to get an idea of what it really feels like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas