Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:55 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times

Advertisements

Although it's very hard to find examples of good street layout in Vegas suburbs, there are some places better than others. For example even though the roads around Spring Valley are still wide in some areas, they are not terrible everywhere.

Head a little further west where Peace terminates at the 215 and things get ridiculous though. We have a stroad that is so wide you could fit 8 cars side by side without too much trouble, for an area that probably doesn't get more than 200 cars per hour during rush hour.

And once the streets are built like this, there's really no going back. That's a cost that the city/county has to deal with forever. That's more maintenance for paving the streets and dealing with leaky pipes and electrical lines. You could fast forward 500 years and probably this area of Vegas will still be at this density. I can only imagine that the plan for this part of town was rubber stamped by some old school engineer who is just in his office all day and never tried to imagine how people would would actually move around this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Want an idea of what sorts of roads you want your house to be next to? Get as close as possible to how the interior streets in UNLV are like, and you're on the right path.

Summerlin has some nice areas. If only they would not put a median turning lane for an area that has very little car traffic.

Residential areas have way too much curb side parking, but I have seen worse. If they made parking only allowable on one side, that slims up the street, the space is largely unused anyways in many parts of the area here. Better yet would be to have no curb side parking.

Last edited by ddrhazy; 12-12-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2019, 02:23 PM

"This park is open to the public for all to use."

Could have fooled me with a fence surrounding the ENTIRE PARK.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:30 PM

So, wrapping up and to refocus on what the OP wanted, nice areas of Vegas... Vegas has it's problems. Transit is pretty much non existent but we do have bus lines that serve as a life line to our lower income residents.

I can't give hard and fast rules of "buy in downtown and profit" because that is a slowly developing area. If you have the patience that's the place to be. But you're going to have to wait 2 more decades before it truly blooms.

Try to remember these images on what's good and what's not. You'll often find streets that are just too wide, and they'll always be too wide for the type of density that is in that particular area.

Try to get as close to green space and shopping plazas as you can without being on a 7 lane pseudo highway. Those enclaves of tranquility do exist. It requires combing through google street view and walking the property. Most realtors have no idea what the character of X & Y cross street is, it's up to you to find the ones that do. Don't buy McMansions, no millennial in their right mind wants that sort of house.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:38 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Better and better in THEIR opinion. What they think is better is not necessarily better for others.

I'm no fan of Vegas and I think the city has a lot of issues but that's why I left. I'm not one to join a club then start telling everyone how to make it better.

There are a lot of very enterprising people in Vegas and I'd think that if an art museum is a money maker someone would build one. I don't think many residents care about an art museum. They can travel to LA to see one.

The problem for light rail in Vegas is the same for many places out west, it is a big sprawl so residences and work places won't be close enough to train stations. Sure, you can drive to the station closest to your house but what happens when your work is a couple miles from the closest station? Are you going to walk it when it is 115 degrees out? The cost/benefit just isn't there.

There is movement on building an art museum in Las Vegas. It will happen.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news...-gets-underway

Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM

431 posts, read 352,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Yes. I really hate cars.

It's difficult to prove but what other explanation can you come up with? You think nobody wants to buy fresh produce in those high rise condos that are on the strip? NOT ONE PERSON? What's the point of living in the faux-urban area if you still need a car to shop?

Oh right. You can just get your groceries delivered.

What's the point of living on the strip then if you're going to invent away all the reasons to even step outside your condo?

Maybe it's a conspiracy. Maybe it's just a lot of coincidences that have caused Vegas to be this artificial. But it's a problem. A huge one.

Well, I agree that Vegas can be very artificial. And also that the strip is a faux urban area.

It's not like any other city with many public transportation options. And it is hotter than blazes!

The strip is about 5 miles long (from Trop to downtown). Do you think condo dwellers are going to walk to a grocery store a couple miles, load up their cart and then push it a couple miles back to their condo with their ice cream melting and veggies rotting in 115 degree heat? No, they are going to go down to the parking garage, get in their air conditioned car and drive off the strip to a Vons or someplace and shop there. They will probably run a couple other errands too.

You see unlike yourself, most people don't hate cars. In fact, I would venture to say that most people living in those big dollar high rise condos probably have pretty nice expensive cars. They, like most Vegas residents try to avoid driving on the strip as much as possible so they would prefer to go to grocery stores that are not on the strip.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to live on the strip.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:30 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
I just don't buy it. You think that 10 souvenir shops along LV BLVD are more valuable than ONE grocery shop? Hell, even Walgreens could put a grocery store in their LV BLVD branch, but...nope, we don't have one.

LAX is at capacity, cannot be built out further and they forsee more flights. At a certain point, you can't jam more planes flying in and out of there. And everyone drives into LAX and it's just an ever growing problem that is getting worse.

There's always an excuse. The money isn't there. It's not practical. It's all BS. There are certain industries who benefit from pushing you to the lousiest form of service(the highway and airplanes). We never talk about how much highways cost or the time wasted navigating them.

The American car culture is a large arm of unfettered vulture capitalism.

A grocery store is needed downtown, where there are more residences.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 PM

927 posts, read 883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Reading the last 5 posts, I still thank my lucky stars I got out that conservative, sin-less, penny-wise-dollar foolish city last year and to a real city.
Clark County voted 52-42 Clinton.
Pima County voted 53-40 Clinton.

That 3% makes all the difference, apparently.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Clark County voted 52-42 Clinton.
Pima County voted 53-40 Clinton.

That 3% makes all the difference, apparently.
He has been around a long time. Provides a different view.

Who do you known who walks a Ferret at 3 in the morning in central LV? And he did it riding a bike.

Been dealing with him for over a decade on this list. I do not take him seriously...but I do listen because he comes from a very different view.

By the way I looked carefully at Tucson when I went to LV. I had a very good friend who tried to convince me to come there. I looked hard and said no. Was not a hard decision.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:21 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
American "Freedom" at work in Los Angeles 2 days before thanksgiving 2019. Most residents would say this traffic is the norm however.
Scrap all the light rail lines and subway and commuter lines in L.A. and what would this picture show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas