Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 11:30 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Please refer to post #285 (above)

An acquaintance who was a CMBS/Commercial Mortgage Lender for 20+ years told me:

All the mortgage loan servicers have to continue paying the Investors (big hedge funds, insurance companies, pension funds, other countries, etc.) who buy the MBS Bonds when the Homeowners are defaulting and in forbearance on their loans. If the Homeowner doesn't pay, the interest to the investor on the MBS Bond is still due. The Bonds are owned in a Trust, they tranche out AAA, AA, A, BBB+, BBB, BB, etc. Each tranche owns a slice of the bonds and is priced on the likelihood of that piece of the bond defaulting. The AAA tranche is the best, so that one is the least likely to default. The UNRATED (Junk Bond and below) pieces are likely to default, so they may be yielding 15% to reflect the risk. The servicers have to continue to please the Bondholders (they don't care about the homeowners) and if they don't have the money to pay the bondholders their interest, then each bond tranche that is getting impacted is making the call on what to do with the underlying collateral until that bond tranche is eliminated. When the market drops and the homeowners start defaulting, it eats away at these bonds and the tranches GET ELIMINATED through defaults. The investors GET WIPED OUT and the Bondholders complain to the gov't for a BAIL OUT. The BONDS, because the market dropped, are now ILLIQUID. They can't be sold. There is no market for them. Many tranches are wiped out. There is NO MARKET.

So that means, without a market, then there can be NO FINANCING of houses. The Liquidity has dried up! No banks can make loans because there is no market to buy the bonds to offload their balance sheets. Prices should be dropping like crazy but the Fed has actually bought JUNK BONDS because nobody else was buying and the market would have collapsed! NEVER HAVE THEY DONE THIS BEFORE!!!

What the Fed is doing is setting the price (unfairly) and buying the junk bonds, and setting the price of the bottom of the market. They have effectively BAILED OUT the bondholders, billionaire hedge fund holders, insurance, pensions, etc. If a bond was $100,000,000 but couldn't be sold for $50,000,000, then the bondholders/mortgage REITs, etc. have to mark-to-market down to $50,000,000 which erases all their NET WORTH/CAPITAL, effectively making all these investors, mortgage REITs, etc. insolvent/bankrupt.

The Fed effectively came in and bought them at $75,000,000 (which mitigates their loss substantially). There is no price discovery mechanism because the bottom of the market was not set by the market, but by the Fed itself. These IDIOTS in this business model do this every 10 years or so, chasing yield and chasing fees and run only with the economy, and they do not manage their risk. They are in a risky business model. They should not be getting our tax money for bail outs. Prices should be dropping like crazy because there should be no loans available in the market. The FED is providing the liquidity and bottom of the market. What would normally be happening is for interest rates to RISE and the price of homes should fall in order to deflate the bubble that false low interest rates created.

The Federal Reserve is propping up the housing market - no matter what the consequences.
Talk about colonic glossolalia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 01:40 PM

365 posts, read 423,897 times
Realtors are in a sales business. It is what it is, do your own DD.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
Realtors are in a sales business. It is what it is, do your own DD.
Indeed. But also an agent with the fiduciary requirements that being an agent imposes. The basic is that you take care of the client and not yourself.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:40 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Disappointed to see this thread turn into bashing realtors, so I'll resort to facts. Please correct me if I'm wrong on how it works in NV.

Listing agents have a fiduciary responsibility to their client, i.e., the seller.
Buyer's brokers have a fiduciary responsibility to their client, i.e., the buyer.

When buying a home my wife and I will not trust the listing agent to look out for our interests.
When buying a home my wife and I use a buyer's broker with CRS credential. We've always been well served.

Some people feel they've been poorly served by one or more realtors, we moderators get it, but many have also been poorly served by other types of businesses and people. We mods will not allow broad-brush attacks on any profession or peoples or areas. When someone attacks with "all realtors are ____________ bad dudes" or "City or state __________ sucks and all its people suck" that's when we pounce and issue infractions for violating the TOS. This is not the thread to post anyone's case of bad service ... by realtors or anyone else in the business (builders, banks, etc).

Now, I'd like for everyone to stop discussing realtors and get back to what you expect LV real estate prices to do. If it sticks in someone's craw that badly they can go start a new thread, but must not name anyone's name as that violates the TOS regarding this not being a consumer complaint site.

IMO there will be downward forces on home prices that will ripple through as X% of people fail paying their mortgages and some will be foreclosed. I wish it weren't so but that's what I think will happen in most of the country. Maybe a soft landing can be achieved but we'll have to see how it plays.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:51 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,810,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Indeed. But also an agent with the fiduciary requirements that being an agent imposes. The basic is that you take care of the client and not yourself.
Exactly....

Dual representation is legal in Nevada and acting in the best interests of the client is a crock of poop. Get the signatures, be friendly, don't break the law, rinse and repeat.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
There's too much chaos to know what is going to happen going forward. I have a rental right now that is going vacant soon and I got a lot of calls from zillow/realtor/etc that showed interest in it. Plenty of people want the rental, but nobody has any verifiable income.

All the properties for sale that I looked at over the last week went into pending status. Bargains are still being snatched up. I think there has been some overreaction by some sellers and they are listing too low.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:45 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
There's too much chaos to know what is going to happen going forward. I have a rental right now that is going vacant soon and I got a lot of calls from zillow/realtor/etc that showed interest in it. Plenty of people want the rental, but nobody has any verifiable income.

All the properties for sale that I looked at over the last week went into pending status. Bargains are still being snatched up. I think there has been some overreaction by some sellers and they are listing too low.
As always, the devil is in the details which are hard to come by. What I'm getting at is are these sellers just plain citizens selling their owner-occupied houses, or are these the big investor firms, like REITs, that bought up millions of homes after the Great Recession. If these sales are by the latter, that tells me they see big trouble ahead and are taking profits while they can.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:58 PM

628 posts, read 398,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Considering 28 days ago the virus was around, and in 6 months it should be gone, I’d be expecting a 20% increase.
I was able to lock in my rent until 08-2021. Makes me wonder if I should have negotiated a reduction.

I read normally rents go up 6 or 7 percent which is a lot in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Exactly....

Dual representation is legal in Nevada and acting in the best interests of the client is a crock of poop. Get the signatures, be friendly, don't break the law, rinse and repeat.
In 20 year we have played dual twice. Both family situations where everybody agreed and got a substantial commission reduction. Both also involved an outside purchase so we generally did fine.

Note that going dual requires a specific form which informs the clients that the agent is conflicted and will not be able to provide the normal services to either. Basically the agent ends up a doing a transaction process which is otherwise not legal in NV.

I continue to believe that the dual should simply be banned. It is simply incompatible with agency.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As always, the devil is in the details which are hard to come by. What I'm getting at is are these sellers just plain citizens selling their owner-occupied houses, or are these the big investor firms, like REITs, that bought up millions of homes after the Great Recession. If these sales are by the latter, that tells me they see big trouble ahead and are taking profits while they can.
We probably examine a few hundred homes every year. We tend towards a mature costumer base. For instance we regularly rent a couple of homes in Sun City Summerlin for various clients. These renters virtually all have 800+ Fico scores and trouble free histories.

We see a few HUD homes. Just had a client buy one in Aliante. Likely driven by the death of the mortgage holder. They are a nuisance procedurally as they use a weird hybrid of the normal process and pages of forms of their own creation.

Otherwise corporate ownership is rare. It may be that they move the properties in groups which will not hit the normal buyer. In the last year we have come across a couple that were rentals but they appeared to be singular or small count investors. Nothing looking like an REIT or similar.

So in general the market appears mostly the normal ebb and flow of private owners with little corporate activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: