Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
that there are only about 180 school days? doesnt seem correct, in ohio, school from august - june..... is it different in nevada
Same as in Ohio. We start at the end of August and get out at the beginning of June. Of course that might change if the Governor really cuts funding another 14%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau-12 View Post
Oh dear God...

O.k look I cited my sources, This article: "http://www.lvrj.com/news/9975431.html" explains how the crime rate is growing in las Vegas, violent crime jumped up 32% from 06 to 07, The journalist refrences an FBI statistical report, Sorry I don't have the official FBI report the journalist got his numbers from, I guess that means everything in the article is a lie right? The review journal published this fake article to make Vegas look bad? If you really believe that then you are beyond ridiculous. If you want to bury your head in the sand and deny the truth of the article, I guess that's your prerogative. You can always call the Sheriff and police spokesman who were interviewed in the article, and ask them if the interview actually took place lol... but then who knows, maybe the Sheriff is in on the conspiracy with the Review Journal to make fake articles citing fake stats?
That particular runup in robbery and assault was most troubling. It has never been explained. Annoys the hell out of me. Both politicians and the press should be all over metro until it is satsifactorily explained and a plan put in place to fix it.

However after all that Metro is still in the middle third of cities above 100,000 populations. And Henderson is in the top 5% or better. So we got a terrible crime problem but a third of the big cities are worse and one part of the community has very good crime numbers? what I suspect goes on is Metro has seriously lost ground in some areas but that it has little if any impact in the outer areas. So if you are living on Sierra Vista be very concerned.

That particular problem really does annoy me though. Particularly the lame explanations..."all big cities", "growth in the target demographic" BS. It is a large spike and pecuiliar to Las Vegas.

It makes the crime problem worse of course. But it moved Las Vegas about 10 positions on the list.

Quote:
More info about the school system:

90 percent fail end of semester math exam
"http://www.lvrj.com/news/17044911.html"

Nevada ranked 45th out of 50 for per pupil spending
"http://www.lvrj.com/news/17255649.html"

Expulsion referrals highest to date
"http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2008/apr/14/3896/"

Clark County's over crowded schools
"http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5674731&nav=168XGVMV"

We have a poor school system, is it the worst? NO. Is it bad? Yes.
That math test is amaizing. Everybody botched it but Sig Rogich middle School who did quite well. Hmmm how could that be? All our geniuses go to Rogich? All the really great teachers go to Rogich? Rogich always outscores all the rest on math? Well no...so lightning struck? Think about it. I suspect the problem was mostly administrative. It does not compute.

"Bad" with respect to what? With respect to the ten biggest school systems we do very well. We have numerous schools that are even exceptional. We have some that are horrid...but our worst don't get into the same class as some of the rust belt schools or those of DC. So yeah there are certainly bad schools. Don't send your kids to them. With that simple precaution it is a relatively "good" school system.

I agree we underpay for our school system. Does some damage. And I certainly support the Teacher Gambling Tax initiative or some workable alternative. Then again that is customary in most of the southwest states and many other regions.

I would think a high expulsion rate is a good thing.

Crowded schools should be handled the same as bad ones. Don't send you kids there. If a lot of people did that it would never get bad and would go away quickly. It is however a transient problem even now. Generally cured in a few years.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 37,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
I think the "I hate it, so I must share it and everyone must think like me" view is what drives us all nuts here. I find some of the negative information useful when it is presented honestly not crammed down your throat. Nobody likes to be put down.
I especially do not like the bashing of people who choose to raise their children here. I am a good mom and I too also have a lot of "common sense." What the heck kind of comment is that anyways? What because we choose to live here, we lack the ability to judge right from wrong? So now are children are flawed because of it? We must be the most horrible parents in the world
Someday you'll be a parent too, and you will understand that your comment was off.

This is funny because I originally listed PROS AND cons... There are things I love about Vegas that you will find nowhere else, and there are things about Vegas that I will really miss if I ever move.
But Lord help me if I have the audacity to mention what I feel the cons of Vegas to be...
I never told anyone what to think or crammed anything down anyones throat, I gave my opinion and then everyone had a tantrum and basically said everything I've mentioned is untrue, so i'm just defending my stance.
I never bashed people who chose to raise their kids here Jesus... All I said was I (key word "I") don't think this is the greatest place to raise children and I explained the reasons why.
The "common sense" remark was a response to everyone dismissing my views because I don't have kids yet, it wasn't saying that everyone else doesn't have common sense, simply that I understand (without having kids) that raising a family in Vegas is not an Ideal choice for me, and I wouldn't recommend it as a top pick for people relocating that have kids.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
What I find in common with those who choose to bash Las Vegas is they do not want others to have fortune and happiness in this city because maybe they have not found what they are looking for here, and have a lot of bitterness toward others.

I listed cons along with pros and I'm a bitter "Vegas basher" now who want's everyone to be miserable...

Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
But Lord help me if I have the audacity to mention what I feel the cons of Vegas to be...
It is your tone not your opinion that offends.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
It is your tone not your opinion that offends.
The tone came AFTER, the bombardment of people came out with pitchforks and torches because I mentioned a negative aspect of Vegas.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
I listed cons along with pros and I'm a bitter "Vegas basher" now who want's everyone to be miserable...
Did I point the finger at you? actually..not really.. but you made that assumption. I just find it common for those who do bash, are very bitter.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 PM

Reread your first post and there was definitely a "tone" there. Just because you posted pro's and cons doesn't mean we can't interpret your seething opinion of Las Vegas and families.
As I have told others, if you are unhappy, do something about it. If each person that complained about this city would just get off their ..... and try to make a difference, maybe things would get better Why not make this a place you would be glad to call home. Let yourself be heard. Turn the negatives into positives. As I tell my kids, you'll never know what could be unless you try it.

Last edited by WOHR; 05-16-2008 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Some one raised the question of why people knocking Las Vegas get jumped on.

I am certainly a major participant in such events. But I never jump on anybody for knocking Las Vegas. If it is bad in Vegas it should be reported so that those here can identify and try and fix the problem and so that those coming are aware of what they are getting into.

But that is not a license to spread innuendos, falsehoods, incorrect facts or flat lies about the City.

There is enough wrong to report the bad stuff. You need not make it up.

And when you do I, for one, am going to jump all over you. And I hope I have lots of company.

I know a whole lot about crime and schools in Las Vegas mostly as a result of participating in this list. Find out at least a little before you jump in with "worst in the US" positions. It ain't. No where near. Search the old threads. Read the references. Then jump in.

If not be prepared to be smite about the head and shoulders.

Truth is a very powerful weapon.
Exactly. I am certainly not denying that Las Vegas does not have it's share of problems. Teen suicide out here is a problem, even though the latest stats show us 9th highest as opposed to highest. Top 10 in a category like this is never a good thing. It's also true that crime is a problem out here, although we are actually 35th in violent crime per capita according to the link I posted. I don't have a problem discussing the issues facing Las Vegas, when that "facts" presented are actually factual statistics backed up by third party research. Sensationalizing the true numbers will get you nothing but grief. Again, all for reasonable discourse and adult discussion about real issues based on facts, opposed to making outrageous claims with little to nothing to back them up.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Oh dear God...

O.k look I cited my sources, This article: "http://www.lvrj.com/news/9975431.html" explains how the crime rate is growing in las Vegas, violent crime jumped up 32% from 06 to 07, The journalist refrences an FBI statistical report, Sorry I don't have the official FBI report the journalist got his numbers from, I guess that means everything in the article is a lie right? The review journal published this fake article to make Vegas look bad? If you really believe that then you are beyond ridiculous. If you want to bury your head in the sand and deny the truth of the article, I guess that's your prerogative. You can always call the Sheriff and police spokesman who were interviewed in the article, and ask them if the interview actually took place lol... but then who knows, maybe the Sheriff is in on the conspiracy with the Review Journal to make fake articles citing fake stats?

More info about the school system:

90 percent fail end of semester math exam
"http://www.lvrj.com/news/17044911.html"

Nevada ranked 45th out of 50 for per pupil spending
"http://www.lvrj.com/news/17255649.html"

Expulsion referrals highest to date
"http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2008/apr/14/3896/"

Clark County's over crowded schools
"http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5674731&nav=168XGVMV"

We have a poor school system, is it the worst? NO. Is it bad? Yes.
I will not deny that the school system is bad. I think you misunderstood the intent of my original post. The claims you were making were not backed up by fact and when I did the research the things that you were saying were just not true in their entirety. If you would have said something like "Las Vegas, in my opinion, is not the best reason to raise a child because it consistently ranks in the top 10 in teenage suicide", that point cannot be argued because it is true. That's not what you said, which is where the argument against sensationalism comes in. That being said, you still aren't doing your own research. I won't hound you about it anymore, but the media can and does twist and manipulate stories, particularly stories involving statistics, to sensationalize. I won't say they outright lie or fabricate, and I'm certainly not saying it's a conspiracy. Your condescending tone regarding my position on the media is quite frankly uncalled for. One only has to look at how they report about the economy with particular regard to the housing market to see how they use selective reporting and "twist" statistics to sensationalize. As I said before, I agree that Las Vegas certainly is not without it's share of problems, as anyplace is. Just be accurate.

Quote:
This is funny because I originally listed PROS AND cons... There are things I love about Vegas that you will find nowhere else, and there are things about Vegas that I will really miss if I ever move.
I never told anyone what to think or crammed anything down anyones throat, I gave my opinion and then everyone had a tantrum and basically said everything I've mentioned is untrue, so i'm just defending my stance.
I never bashed people who chose to raise their kids here Jesus... All I said was I (key word "I") don't think this is the greatest place to raise children and I explained the reasons why.
The "common sense" remark was a response to everyone dismissing my views because I don't have kids yet, it wasn't saying that everyone else doesn't have common sense, simply that I understand (without having kids) that raising a family in Vegas is not an Ideal choice for me, and I wouldn't recommend it as a top pick for people relocating that have kids.
I never said the issues you brought up were untrue, just that the severity of the issues you brought up according to your unnamed sources or your feelings was untrue. That was my only issue with your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas