Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
You suspect I will punt? I have addressed everything put forth to me and will do so again. Now, I can't claim to know whay Reid is #1 on the Tea Party's hit list, other than his involvement in the health care bill (and IMO that's enough) but I can certainly list multiple issues that I take exception to his position on.

He voted no on barring HHS grants to organizations that perform abortions. That would essentially be federal funding for abortions, would it not? I am certainly pro-choice but I don't want to pay for it.
Nope...use of government money for abortion is one thing. Barring organizations that do abortions with other funding is another. Reid is taken the Libertarian position here.

Quote:
He's voted yes on over $1 trillion in stimulus spending (not including the $1 trillion plus on the health care bill). This alone is enough reason for me to want to see him ousted. He also voted no on a $40 billion reduction on government spending in 2005. He voted no on prioritizing national debt reduction below tax cuts. He voted no on a Balanced Budget amendment. I think I've proven that there is nothing conservative in his fiscal policy.
You have forgotten the 34 Republicans who enabled the original TARP? They started all this but are not a target for removal? I strongly disagree with you on this. Failure of TARP and the stimulus plans would have lead to an economic meltdown and likely a huge depression. I may not like the expenditures either but Reid was correct. Had to be done. Now if we could have gotten the Libertarians out of the financial system over the last 40 years and provided rational regulation none of this would have been neccessary. That however goes to a lot of people not particularly featuring Reid.

Quote:
His stance on affirmative action is extremely liberal. He also voted yes on loosening restrictions for cell phone wiretapping. Yep, sounds pretty conservative (and please don't confuse conservative with Republican like you have been confusing the Libertarian/libertarian thing. Republicans may be for the trampling of civil liberties but true conservatives are not).
Yup that is one of the places where he gets too conservative for my taste.

Quote:
His stance on education (massive spending and a very high approval rating from the ovewhelmingly liberal NEA), his stance on energy (no drilling in ANWR, no exploration and drilling subsidies, no on Senate debate for Cap and Trade), a yes vote for Cash for Clunkers, a no vote to cap foreign aid, etc.
Actually again his position are well to the right of the democrats.
Wait, there is more:

Quote:
Voted YES on Congressional pay raise. (Really? During the Great Recession?)
Voted NO on requiring photo ID to vote in federal elections.
Voted YES on allowing some lobbyist gifts to Congress.
Voted YES on funding for National Endowment for the Arts.
Voted NO on banning more types of Congressional gifts.
Voted YES on continuing federal funds for declared "sanctuary cities".
Voted YES on comprehensive immigration reform.
Voted NO on declaring English as the official language of the US government.
Voted NO on building a fence along the Mexican border. (Sep 2006)
Voted YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security. Voted NO on limit welfare for immigrants.
That is a punt. A selective cut and paste from a well known web site.

And of course the most telling stat:

Quote:
Voted with Democratic Party 95.1% of 326 votes.

Yeah, I can see why one might think that he were conservative. Did I answer this question to your satisfaction, or do you feel that I punted it?

BTW, not a fan of Tarkanian or Lowden.
So you have made the startling discovery that the Leader of the majority party is a member of that party? And therefore to be driven from office in favor of likely incompetents?

You also did not notice his success in beating off Yucca Mountain...defending Nevada from the Screw Nevada Act perpetrated by the other states?

You not crying for the resignation of the unethical and likely illegal Senator Ensign? He is OK because he is a Republican?

How in the world a movement can spring up driven to remove the most important elected politician in Nevada in favor of the unknown and likely incompetent? Maybe we deserve Sharon Angle...

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Default Mtn Bike club starting

FYI: Southern Nevada Mountain Biking Association Kick-Off Event - Las Vegas - Boca Park REI

Old 03-30-2010, 05:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope...use of government money for abortion is one thing. Barring organizations that do abortions with other funding is another. Reid is taken the Libertarian position here.
HHS is a federal agency and as such providing grants to organizations that provide abortions is pretty much in the same ballpark as paying for the abortions themselves. That said, my previous contention may be a bit of a stretch (see, I am willing to admit when I am or may be wrong, are you?).

Quote:
You have forgotten the 34 Republicans who enabled the original TARP? They started all this but are not a target for removal? I strongly disagree with you on this. Failure of TARP and the stimulus plans would have lead to an economic meltdown and likely a huge depression. I may not like the expenditures either but Reid was correct. Had to be done. Now if we could have gotten the Libertarians out of the financial system over the last 40 years and provided rational regulation none of this would have been neccessary. That however goes to a lot of people not particularly featuring Reid.
Putting words in my mouth? I have been VERY consistent in my criticism of the original TARP as well as every bailout since (and feel free to search my posts and prove me a liar). I've been critical of both Repubs and Democrats on this, and my stance has never wavered so please, don't try to paint me as some Repub pundit. I have never voted R in my life, mainly due to issues of social liberties (although domestic economics has taken precedence at this point not to mention that the D's are certainly trying to force some big government on me). As far as blaming the Libertarians for this, I don't see many L's in Washington signing bills like the CRA and Graham Leach Bliley. And yes, we will definitely have to agree to disagree on the potential effects of an economy without government bailout. My opinion is that if you gamble and lose, you pay the price regardless of who you are. No such thing as too big to fail.

Quote:
Yup that is one of the places where he gets too conservative for my taste.
Your assertion that the trampling of civil liberties as a conservative thing is way off base. Again, you confuse party with ideology. Keep in mind that libertarians and the Tea Party (and supposedly the Republicans although they haven't legislated consistently with their platform for some time) are for SMALLER government, so his vote to expand wiretapping would be in direct conflict with what modern conservatives believe.

Quote:
Actually again his position are well to the right of the democrats.
By position do you mean what he SAYS he will do or does? Because his votes scream enviormentalist, anti-oil company, liberal ideology. A no vote on Senate debate for Cap and Trade? He didn't vote no on the bill, he voted to eliminate DEBATE on the bill. Don't see how any of this is to the right of democrats.

Quote:
That is a punt. A selective cut and paste from a well known web site.
You asked which issues he was unacceptable on. To me, these are the issues. You did not ask for his position on every issue. and yes, the website is known and well known to be non-partisan so consider what I pasted to be factual (I can look up the actual vote tallies if you desire or are willing to provide some sort of proof to the contrary). Your spin on this matter is completely unacceptable. You asked for something specific from me. I provided it. Then you claim that I punted because I provided what you asked for as opposed to an entire web page of text. Bear in mind that there are still many votes that I disagree with Reid greatly on that I didn't post, such as his no vote on a means test for Medicare or his yes vote on more tobacco restrictions or his yes vote on reauthorizing the Patriot Act. I am simply not going to take up an entire page with every single vote of his I disagree with. Again, because he is conservative on guns and law enforcement does not mean that he is a conservative Democrat.

That said, I await for you detailed rebuttal with facts and stats to back it up.

Quote:
So you have made the startling discovery that the Leader of the majority party is a member of that party? And therefore to be driven from office in favor of likely incompetents?

You also did not notice his success in beating off Yucca Mountain...defending Nevada from the Screw Nevada Act perpetrated by the other states?

You not crying for the resignation of the unethical and likely illegal Senator Ensign? He is OK because he is a Republican?
Your condescension is unwarranted and unappreciated. You made the claim that he was right of Dems. I refuted it. You reply with sarcasm as opposed to anything of substance. And your assumption that I am okay with Ensign due to his affiliation is laughable. I would love to see him gone as well as Gibbons due to their corruption and lack of ethics (yet to be proven in Gibbons case I believe, but definitely something questionable there). Because I don't fall in line with your thought process I must be of the other side (because Lord knows there are only two political parties in this country). Sorry Jim, but you are making some TREMENDOUS leaps of logic here. And I am aware that Reid beat back Yucca. I am also aware that many of the NIMBY's are now wishing that Yucca would have come through, thinking that there was federal money attached (I don't believe that there was). I find that incredibly ironic (no real bearing on the discussion, just an observation).

Quote:
How in the world a movement can spring up driven to remove the most important elected politician in Nevada in favor of the unknown and likely incompetent? Maybe we deserve Sharon Angle...
The movement did not "spring up" to oust Reid. Maybe you haven't been paying attention but they have been around for a bit and in many cases have given Republican incumbents and candidates a run for there money (NY 23 ring a bell?). As far as your assertion that Reid is the most important elected official in NV, I have shown you quite a few times that he is, in fact, more beholden to party than state. Maybe not incompetent, but I wouldn't say that the POTUS is incompetent either. Doesn't mean I wouldn't immediately vote him out if I could, based on my position on the issues.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Had a feeling that was it, but why would anyone go right to that definition when discussing the Tea Party unless they had their mind in the gutter instead of in polit....ics....? Oh! Never mind.

BTW: You'd have to be pretty brave or pretty stupid to trust the baggee not to hurt you.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post

The movement did not "spring up" to oust Reid. Maybe you haven't been paying attention but they have been around for a bit and in many cases have given Republican incumbents and candidates a run for there money (NY 23 ring a bell?). As far as your assertion that Reid is the most important elected official in NV, I have shown you quite a few times that he is, in fact, more beholden to party than state. Maybe not incompetent, but I wouldn't say that the POTUS is incompetent either. Doesn't mean I wouldn't immediately vote him out if I could, based on my position on the issues.
Actually I think we will let it drop here. As you are aware I value your views and thoughts...but it is getting too personal.

So I think better to let it go.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:12 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Actually I think we will let it drop here. As you are aware I value your views and thoughts...but it is getting too personal.

So I think better to let it go.
As I your's. Agreed and dropped.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Just got back from Vegas this weekend. It was packed! We stopped in to see our favorite bartender at The Range. He told us they have been busy since January. Seems like tourism is picking up for Las Vegas.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
guess then you won't be putting vegas down as much now....

Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
guess then you won't be putting vegas down as much now....
You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
Hey, how did you do in Cleveland, Airics? Was your long trip with the furkids uneventful and did you get the house rented okay? How good it must feel to be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas