Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Agreed. Although I did go down to Fremont and see the Neon Museum recently and enjoyed seeing all the bright signs from Las Vegas' past. Pretty neat down there.
They are working on the area. The sign I miss the most is The Silver Slipper. When I was a little girl, that sign was Cindarella to me.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Back when I was a street performer I worked Fremont Street and the Strip (in front of the Coke store) six days a week, sometimes seven. I miss my fellow street performers, but I don't miss the tourists.

I'm going in tomorrow to have the cataract in my right eye fixed. Waving of Rubber Chickens is greatly appreciated. Please hold all thoughts and prayers, I don't want to be shot.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I have moved once again to a nicer area of Tucson, into a 55+ Mobile Home Co-op, where you can't advertise your mobile home on MLS. Most people don't even realize this community even exists, one of the best kept secrets in Tucson. Mobile Home co-ops arise when people got fed up with rising lot rents and they banned together to buy the entire park and turn it into a corporation. To get in here you need to meet with all 7 Board members (me and my roommate passed the test) for approval. I don't believe there's any mobile home co-ops in Las Vegas and there's 2 of them here.

There's a cut-off date to where you can have the bank finance a mobile home, 1973 or newer, and if older, you pay cash. I paid cash for this 1969 Broadmore (a luxury brand back in 1969) from an elderly couple that wanted out. It came almost fully furnished, kitchenware and all, and I only paid $31k for it. $198 a month HOA dues, which includes trash and water. Interestingly, this community of 225 homes has its own water, is not on the Tucson water system, it has a well that goes down to the Aquifier, so unlike the desert landscape of most of Tucson, you see green lawns, lush vegetation. And there's a whole host of activities if you wish to participate and a year round heated pool.

Given what a nightmare it was to try and find an apartment or house to rent, being repeatedly rejected, because they demanded 2-3X the income for rent (after Medicare I net out at $1077 a month) I decided to buy anything, anywhere as a launching pad, and quickly put the place for sale when I found a more ideal place to live. And given the home was 1972 I had no choice but to find a cash buyer. Hallelujah, I found a cash buyer and had to take a $10k hit on it, but so glad to get out of that all-age community, where I had to call the police 2X for loud parties. Good riddance!

I can't believe how friendly everyone is here, but then, having lived in Phoenix for 3 years, I was friendly with everyone of my neighbors down there, and it's the same here, all the friendliness. I think it might have to do with so many people from the Midwest that move here.

The last owners took meticulous care of this place, even adding a double roof, and they kept the receipts and booklets for everything they bought here.

So buying in so cheap, I have nice big cushion to sit on, so I worry not if I have to buy a new A/C unit or whatever. I could never have bought something like this in Las Vegas.

What I miss the most about Las Vegas is the spectacular mountain scenery and the aridity. I already knew what I was getting myself into with Tucson's 10-11 inches of summertime rain, compared to Vegas' 3-4 inches and the heat and humidity here, at times, is reminiscent of Florida. it completely saps me of energy!

Old 08-16-2018, 06:07 AM

I think I inhaled an entire oleander this time.
Thanks dust storm and my super sniffer.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 AM

755 posts, read 399,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I don’t know except the posts between jfk and h are very similar. I also bought a home in the bubble, I kept it..it’s been rented for 12 years. Since I don’t pay the mortgage (renter does), it’s still been a good investment.

There are things that I like and dislike about Florida.

People in my opinion are much more friendly here and it’s much calmer
Except for the storms which are frequent, the humidity is tolerable
Gas is much cheaper 2.59

Vegas was better due to accessibility. Costco is 60 miles away, Samsclub is 30. The house was more “spectacular” but more expensive.

I haven’t hit the ocean yet but I’m 15 minutes from the Gulf. Went to a wildlife preserve with the manatees which was awesome
Are you in the green slime area?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They are working on the area. The sign I miss the most is The Silver Slipper. When I was a little girl, that sign was Cindarella to me.
Go downtown and visit it!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Are you in the green slime area?
if you are talking about the red tide... no that is much farther south

Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM

755 posts, read 399,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if you are talking about the red tide... no that is much farther south
I don't know why it's called red tide, it's as green as can be.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
The green slime from lake Okeechobee is what he is talking about.
I used to live in Okeechobee. Terrible place and disgusting lake.
Florida is pretty terrible. Giant bugs. Even bigger spiders. All the humidity. I mean ALL of the humidity.
Spanish moss aka spider high rise apartments.
Hurricanes. Humidity. Tornadoes. Water spouts. Humidity. And then there's the humidity.
Don't even get me started on the old people. They are everywhere. It's like living in a retirement home where all the wheelchairs are powered by a single 9 volt battery. The highest speed limit in the entire state is 35 and old people don't dare go the limit. Oh no. They go 15 under at all times.

Link to green slime
https://www.livescience.com/63330-to...e-florida.html

Old 08-16-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Go downtown and visit it!
Okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas