Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

At 66, I'm only doing 1 or 2 massages a week now, after having done it for 25-30 years, but I had someone come over from Sam's town, via taxi, last Thurs. nite. He studied MapQuest, even though living in the Fiji Islands, and knew the most direct route to my place. I'm sure the driver asked him where he was from, and thought he wouldn't notice being given a long route instead.

Wrong! When he arrived at my house, the cab driver told him it would be $14.10, and he gave him $15, and keep the change. Taxi driver: Where's my tip? Passenger: You took the long route, so your tip is actually $3 or $4!

Now, returning, @10pm! I first called Desert Cab, waited 25 minutes, no show! Called, was told no one was hitting on it! Then called Yellow Taxi and they told me it would be a half hour wait! I tried to find Uber's number in the phone book, but it's not there. I believe you have to have some kind of app on your phone for Uber, which I don't have, nor do I have texting on my phone. So, I drove him over there myself and he gave me the taxi fare.

Nothing seems to have changed over the years, as this was a problem, all along, a client being left stranded without a ride back to the Strip, or wherever.

I took my last cab ride some 15 years ago, from the Airport to DI/Pecos. Fare was $16, I gave the driver a $20, he gets behind the wheel of the car (is he getting me my change?) and takes off! Didn't even ask me if I wanted change! And no thank-you either

Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
OMG! You guys know how I ***** about the heat all the time? It's June, and up here, I'm wishing I brought more sweaters. The temps yesterday when I left for work were in the high fifties. In June.

It was almost a hundred degrees ( just lovely with the humidity ) last week here in Oakland. Now I'm wearing my trench coat. Again.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
OMG! You guys know how I ***** about the heat all the time? It's June, and up here, I'm wishing I brought more sweaters. The temps yesterday when I left for work were in the high fifties. In June.
That's the normal summer weather pattern for the Bay Area. Coastal marine layer that makes it way into the Bay and sometimes over the hills to the east in the evening and overnight, with overnight lows in the 50s. Then morning overcast burning off starting around 10 or 11 depending on where you live, and highs in the low 70s to mid/upper-80s.

San Francisco is worse, with the fog. There are parts of San Francisco that can stay foggy all day during the summer and don't make it out of the mid-50s.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:56 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
That's the normal summer weather pattern for the Bay Area. Coastal marine layer that makes it way into the Bay and sometimes over the hills to the east in the evening and overnight, with overnight lows in the 50s. Then morning overcast burning off starting around 10 or 11 depending on where you live, and highs in the low 70s to mid/upper-80s.

San Francisco is worse, with the fog. There are parts of San Francisco that can stay foggy all day during the summer and don't make it out of the mid-50s.
That's depressing and just one reason I will never live in San Francisco

Old 06-09-2016, 06:24 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
That's depressing and just one reason I will never live in San Francisco
That's good, because you could never afford it. The median home price in each of the counties between the SF Bay and the Pacific Ocean is over one million dollars (Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara). It's also not a friendly place toward the uneducated and unskilled.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:50 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
That's good, because you could never afford it. The median home price in each of the counties between the SF Bay and the Pacific Ocean is over one million dollars (Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara). It's also not a friendly place toward the uneducated and unskilled.
Cost is another reason I wouldn't live there, same with politics...me being a Trump supporter, that part of California might as well be the valley of the shadow of death to me

What are you implying about uneducated and unskilled?

Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,915 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Cost is another reason I wouldn't live there, same with politics...me being a Trump supporter, that part of California might as well be the valley of the shadow of death to me

What are you implying about uneducated and unskilled?
He is insulting you Davie. His screen name fits him perfectly.

Simple Definition of arrogant

• : having or showing the insulting attitude of people who believe that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people : having or showing arrogance

Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I just don't get the attraction. No. Cal ( so far ) is crowded, expensive, poor weather. I like the bay, the fresh seafood, and the cool architecture. Definitely more culture up here. But I'm working downtown and navigating these one way streets, while simultaneously trying to look out for pedestrians that don't seem to care.... It's challenging.

Many of these pedestrians would be road paste in Vegas. And I say that as a person who would rather walk than drive, just about any time.

I'll be back in Vegas long enough to do a load of laundry this weekend, and then back up here for the foreseeable future. At least I won't be in Vegas for July.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Even if they boosted the minimum wage to $20 an hour in San FranNimby, you'd still find yourself renting a small room in someone's house!

Old 06-10-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Even if they boosted the minimum wage to $20 an hour in San FranNimby, you'd still find yourself renting a small room in someone's house!
I think I saw a sign in an employee break room that said that minimum wage in the city of Oakland is $18.00 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas