Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
You made an excellent point Sraynard about how some of us confident people could be seconds away from disaster. I realize that and I'm sure many others do but...those are the times we become the victims. There is a major difference between someone crying the woe because they have made poor choices and that of the person who has been an innocent victim. Sadly most people with problems think of themselves and try to portray themselves as victims when in reality what has happened to them is a result of their poor choices. When I become a victim, such as a stupid driver with questionable insurance hit my new car a few weeks ago and I'm not getting a bit of resolution at this point, to help with the anger and frustration I start building up, I try to take responsibility for my part of the situation. I.E., I should have known better to go there, possibly I was driving a little too fast, if I had been more patient I wouldn't have been where I was when it happened. I hate that wishy washy feeling sorry for myself victim feeling. I find it really helps to be hard on myself for the part I play in something rather than feel sad and victimized. Then, since I truly believe attitude is the only thing one has in life, when hard times come my way like my recent health issues, I hopefully have developed the strength and mental stamina to deal with them as best as possible.
Why would you think that you shouldn't have been there? I don't think it is necessarily a good thing to take the whole burden of bad situations upon yourself. Accidents happen, people can be irresponsible and it really stinks when they are not held accountable. But, I don't think it is your fault because you were in a certain place at a certain time. Well, unless you were at a drug house or something illegal-ish. I suppose everyone has to handle things their way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Thanks for the kind words. To answer your question, definitely me. Aqualung and I talked about suicide before when he lived with me. He is religious and assured me he would never take his own life no matter what happens. I on the other hand have been hospitalized twice for suicide attempts. Both times they saved me by pumping my stomach, but I have lifetime organ damage because of it. Coincidentally, my mother did the same thing. She was also hospitalized twice for the suicide attempts. I guess the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.
Just because someone doesn't actually commit or try to commit the physical act of suicide doesn't mean they are not suicidal nor does it mean that what they do isn't causing them a slow suicide. People know when they are doing something unhealthy and that it may cause them to die. Mentally or physically. I hope that you both find belief in yourselves and realize that life is indeed worth living.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Quitting because it's a little warm is not a good reason to quit. Get a personal oscillating fan. They are cheap, and you can get a nice new one for about $10. You can get a floor one for about $20.
Quit the giving up stuff. Lay off the booze and make it a challenge to totally quit the poison. Like someone else said, go to AA meetings, and like I said, check yourself into rehab.
I agree with you Pink, fans are NOT expensive. Something my family did when we lived in Connecticut was buy a few small space heater fans. They were $10 a piece, and our house was warmer, and had a MUCH lower power bill thanks to them, but LVD doesnt need heat, that was just my example

I also agree with your post that fruits and veggies, as well as blenders are NOT that expensive.

LVD if you want to make fruit smoothies, you can buy Goya frozen fruit pulps. Granted, those are usually tropical fruits like mango, maracuya (parcha, or passion fruit as some call it), guava, etc. Depending on the fruit and the brand, they usually run $1.50 to $2 a pack, add some milk, and maybe some yogurt and they are DELICIOUS! The 99c Only Store has some great fruits as well (surprisingly) my gf and I recently bought a bag of 4 peaches for $1 there and they were even better than the ones Vons charges $1.99 a lb for. The 99c Only Store near Flamingo and Maryland (not far from you) may be a good way to go for fruits and veggies, them or Smith's

Also, I think you should go to the AA meetings LVD. I have suggested that to you before, but (no offense) along with much of the advice I've given you (Metro PCS, the AA meetings, etc) you have either rebuked it or ignored it

And get back on your meds and dont just give up and quit. Your life is what you made of it, but as I have said before, you're STILL young enough to turn it around

You have said you were going to do so many things and then didnt do them, I cant even begin to cite them all. What about your 52 year old gf in PHX? The last time you talked to me about her, you said she would never talk to you and now you've gone on the forum saying you've been with her for 14 years? And one day you say you're going back to Phoenix, the next you say "F*ck Phoenix, Valley of the Scum" Wtf?

LVD you're a good guy but you seem to just say how sad your life is on here all the time just to get sympathy and talk about yourself. Granted I've done that too but I dont do it as often as you do, if at all anymore

This isnt a personal attack. Im just stating my mind and my point of view of you, LVD

Old 09-26-2010, 01:18 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
One thing, if you are going to make the fruit smoothies and then add the greens, use water or almond/soy/oat/rice/hemp milk. One of them, not all of them.
Don't use cow milk if you have a disease, cancer, or heart problems.

Usually one cup water or non dairy milk, couple cups of fresh fruit in season(cheapest that way) or frozen, a handful or 2 or 3(i do 3 big handfuls) of fresh spinach or other green, 1/2 frozen banana or 1 fresh. Some ice, and blend. If you do not have the high powered blender like I do, then you will need to blend for a few minutes to get the creamy consistency and make sure the greens blend.
Always put liquid in first. Then fruit, then frozen banana and ice, then greens. And ice on top. In that order. Simple and cheap.

Whoever came up with the idea that it's more expensive to eat simply and healthfully must eat a heck of a lot and buy tons of fruits and veggies. A little goes a long way. Never buy more than you can use in a week.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
One thing, if you are going to make the fruit smoothies and then add the greens, use water or almond/soy/oat/rice/hemp milk. One of them, not all of them.
Don't use cow milk if you have a disease, cancer, or heart problems.

Usually one cup water or non dairy milk, couple cups of fresh fruit in season(cheapest that way) or frozen, a handful or 2 or 3(i do 3 big handfuls) of fresh spinach or other green, 1/2 frozen banana or 1 fresh. Some ice, and blend. If you do not have the high powered blender like I do, then you will need to blend for a few minutes to get the creamy consistency and make sure the greens blend.
Always put liquid in first. Then fruit, then frozen banana and ice, then greens. And ice on top. In that order. Simple and cheap.

Whoever came up with the idea that it's more expensive to eat simply and healthfully must eat a heck of a lot and buy tons of fruits and veggies. A little goes a long way. Never buy more than you can use in a week.
I read something awhile back saying Obesity is "cheap" and that lower income people have higher obesity rates because they cannot afford healthy foods. Thats bullshish, people just want to eat junk food. I love fruit personally, its nature's candy

Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I agree with you Pink, fans are NOT expensive. Something my family did when we lived in Connecticut was buy a few small space heater fans. They were $10 a piece, and our house was warmer, and had a MUCH lower power bill thanks to them, but LVD doesnt need heat, that was just my example

I also agree with your post that fruits and veggies, as well as blenders are NOT that expensive.

LVD if you want to make fruit smoothies, you can buy Goya frozen fruit pulps. Granted, those are usually tropical fruits like mango, maracuya (parcha, or passion fruit as some call it), guava, etc. Depending on the fruit and the brand, they usually run $1.50 to $2 a pack, add some milk, and maybe some yogurt and they are DELICIOUS! The 99c Only Store has some great fruits as well (surprisingly) my gf and I recently bought a bag of 4 peaches for $1 there and they were even better than the ones Vons charges $1.99 a lb for. The 99c Only Store near Flamingo and Maryland (not far from you) may be a good way to go for fruits and veggies, them or Smith's

Also, I think you should go to the AA meetings LVD. I have suggested that to you before, but (no offense) along with much of the advice I've given you (Metro PCS, the AA meetings, etc) you have either rebuked it or ignored it

And get back on your meds and dont just give up and quit. Your life is what you made of it, but as I have said before, you're STILL young enough to turn it around

You have said you were going to do so many things and then didnt do them, I cant even begin to cite them all. What about your 52 year old gf in PHX? The last time you talked to me about her, you said she would never talk to you and now you've gone on the forum saying you've been with her for 14 years? And one day you say you're going back to Phoenix, the next you say "F*ck Phoenix, Valley of the Scum" Wtf?

LVD you're a good guy but you seem to just say how sad your life is on here all the time just to get sympathy and talk about yourself. Granted I've done that too but I dont do it as often as you do, if at all anymore

This isnt a personal attack. Im just stating my mind and my point of view of you, LVD
blender: From what I read on the reviews you a really good blender to make green smoothies. The cheap ones won't blend well and the motors will burn out. I am going to just go ahead and buy this one for $350 since PinkString says the fruit and veggies will not cost very much.

Amazon.com: Blendtec TB-621-20 Home 1,560-Watt Total Blender, Black: Gateway

Fans: They just blow the air around. The problem is the temperature is way to high. Fans will not help.

Girlfriend: I should have said I have known her for 14 years. We were together from 1996-1999. We then broke up and did not get back together until nearly 10 years later in 2008. We were probably fighting as I did pi ss her off to where she would not talk to me for a while. That is probably what you are referring to.

Moving back to Phoenix: As everyone knows, I change my mind like crazy. I was going to go back to Phoenix, but then a few people in the Phoenix forum chased me away. That is were the "Phoenix, valley of the scum" and "screw Phoenix" came from. I am no longer going back to Phoenix.

AA meetings: No way Jose. I hate them. Back in 2000, I got a DUI in Phoenix and they sentenced me to 15 meetings. I hated going so much that after 5 meetings, I had friends and family initial and date my report for me since the court does not have any idea who the people in the meetings are.

Meds: Drugs just mask the problem, they do nothing to make you get well. I read the side effects on the bottle so I just threw both of them away. I like Pink's approach as in actually solving the problem. I do not want to be on pain pills for the rest of my life.

Airing dirty laundry: I used to be much more secretive and private, but now that I know I am dying it just doesn't matter anymore.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
LVD, sometimes I just want to grab you and shake some sense into you or smack you or toss you off a cliff, or shoot you out of a cannon into the great beyond, anything to knock some sense into you!
If you are going to die, then don't buy the blendtec, even though it is a great machine, the one i use. You load it all in there, and press one button. You must clean it right afterwards or the roaches will end up in there and that's protein you don't need. Just don't invest in a great machine if you aren't going to be around to continue using it. Or at least hand it down to Aqualung later. He definitely needs some nutrients.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I read something awhile back saying Obesity is "cheap" and that lower income people have higher obesity rates because they cannot afford healthy foods. Thats bullshish, people just want to eat junk food. I love fruit personally, its nature's candy
It is true. You can even see it when you go to a rich part of town. I will use Phoenix for an example. I noticed when I went to Scottsdale Fashion Square mall that the people looked much thinner, younger than they were, and much healthier in general. Here is why. If I had the money, I would never step one foot inside a Smiths, Albertsons or Von's ever again. I do because I can eat for $20 a week searching the sales. It would probably cost me $100 a week, maybe more to shop at Whole Foods. The difference is the food at the major chains is all chemically laced crap, even the fruits and vegetables. Did I ever post on how I bought Kroger buffalo wings and they tasted really bad? I looked on the ingredients and found antifreeze was one of the ingredients. The rich people can afford an all organic diet. Even at Sunflower it would be extremely expensive and frankly I can not afford it. I will listen to Pink since she knows the green diet and try one last time. I am sorry I keep changing my mind all the time, but it cannot hurt to try this.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
LVD, sometimes I just want to grab you and shake some sense into you or smack you or toss you off a cliff, or shoot you out of a cannon into the great beyond, anything to knock some sense into you!
I cannot blame you for saying that. One of my main problems is that I give up too easily and try to find out any way to make myself fail. I will try again to get my mind focused. Being hot at work was very upsetting but I have cooled off for now.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:00 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I for one find it disgusting that your employer has ta turn down the a/c so much that they set the automatic temp. to 79. Ridiculous. Greedy corporations suck. Has it really gotten so bad that they can't properly cool a place? Wouldn't want to think of others, your own employees, for just a second, oh no. How about trimming some of yer own fine's selfs articificially-inflated salaries?

Know that those stomping on others in this system of things are having their reward in full now. There will be no soup for them later, when life will be the real life. The man upstairs will see to that.

It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. You can sit in your ivory towers and put down aqualung and lvd all you want, but I for one prefer to pray for their well-being and I am pulling for them both. I'm so sick of smug &&^holes in this life.

Does anyone think for a second that how they treat someone really matters and crap they sling at someone now might just come back and slap their own face silly at a later date? Hummm...all these things God has always told us he'll do.

Might he really come through on these things and deliver? Yes, he is answering prayers daily and yes those abusive souls pounding their fists down people's throats now in this life will be judged adversely at the time of God's liking. You can count on it.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:45 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I cannot blame you for saying that. One of my main problems is that I give up too easily and try to find out any way to make myself fail. I will try again to get my mind focused. Being hot at work was very upsetting but I have cooled off for now.
What you really need now is an acute inpatient rehab. Try calliing the Salvation Army's rehab clinic.

https://uwayreno.communityos.org/sys...8BAF6D4C9F4CE0

The diet suggestions and AA or other outpatient meetings will help afterwards, but for now you're at the point where you need intensive treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas