Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:47 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,393,597 times

Advertisements

In my experience, there were always two sides to every story, and neither was cut and dry. It's really hard to weigh the evidence presented in court and arrive at the correct decision. Look at OJ. Is he or isn't he guilty? We don't know because we didn't see everything that was presented in trial. But everyone has an opinion based on their prejudice or lack of for the public side of the man. People are seldom ever obviously guilty. The state must prove beyond any reasonable doubt that a person is guilty. After hearing what a judge says about what constitutes reasonable doubt you'll be wishing you had gone to law school. Even the explanation of it by a judge is very hard to understand. Both sides present good arguments and their own evidence. It isn’t easy to decide who is and who is not guilty. To make it more difficult, even if you think they are guilty then you usually have to decide what they are guilty of. That’s why I think going before a panel of no less than five lawyers would be fairer than the so called jury of your peers. Your “peers” are usually not educated enough to make such decisions, (not that I’m all that fond of what passes for education), and about a third of them will just be stupid. You are deciding something that will affect someone else’s life in profound way; maybe even put them in jail or get them executed. It is something that is deadly serious and has to be looked at that way. So if it is a minor inconvenience to us, think of what it is to the person on trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,279,533 times
I just got here to work, and my coworker told me he gets out of jury duty every time by pretending not to know how to speak English.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I just got here to work, and my coworker told me he gets out of jury duty every time by pretending not to know how to speak English.
Maybe you'll get to share a jail cell.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Maybe you'll get to share a jail cell.
I don't understand what you are saying here? He is from Romania. He told me he calls the court speaking in Romainian, and they always excuse him. He said he has never had to report even once, and he has lived here over 20 years.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,428,162 times
My husband is profoundly deaf and has a letter from his doctor. The judge told him that the court is equipped for hearing impaired jurors. He did not get picked but he was stressed out.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM

111 posts, read 290,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
... The one that we all had was quite mean. I can't remember the name though.
Elizabeth Halverson??

Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlstraQ View Post
Elizabeth Halverson??
OMG, please do not bring up that fat ugly monstrosity.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,315,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlstraQ View Post
Elizabeth Halverson??
LOL, no it wasn't Jabba the huts sister.
It was a guy, maybe Hardcastle? (if male)

Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I don't understand what you are saying here? He is from Romania. He told me he calls the court speaking in Romainian, and they always excuse him. He said he has never had to report even once, and he has lived here over 20 years.
You didn't say he was a foreigner, you only said he pretended he doesn't speak English. Things like that can get you busted for contempt of court. If he's not a citizen I wouldn't think he would have to serve anyway. If he is he could get called on it and get into trouble. It's not nice to fool Lady Justice.

Lady Justice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You didn't say he was a foreigner, you only said he pretended he doesn't speak English. Things like that can get you busted for contempt of court. If he's not a citizen I wouldn't think he would have to serve anyway. If he is he could get called on it and get into trouble. It's not nice to fool Lady Justice.

Lady Justice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He was born and lived most of his life in Romania. However, he is a USA citizen, and has lived in Las Vegas for over 20 years. He also speaks perfect English, so I think you are right, what he is doing is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas