Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlin View Post
I really don't want to go through with this every 3-4 years. Anyone know of a legal and honest way to let the people down on Lewis street that I don't want another one of their summons sent to me?
I can't answer your question, but just be glad you don't live in CA. My wife and I received a summons every 12-18 months when we lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlin View Post
Dragging this post out from the archives, for any suggestions if even applicable.
I've been called in twice for jury duty since I moved here. The last time I received a jury summons, I faxed in my doctor's statement excusing me from jury duty. I received an excusal letter in the mail back from the court excusing me. That was in '04.
Then I got called in again this month and sent a fax from the same doctor with the same medical excuse. I did not get an excusal notice from the court house and I wrote twice to the e-mail address provided on the summons asking if they had received my fax, with no reply back from them.

I showed up for jury duty today and when my badge was swiped I was told I was excused for a medical condition. The lady who swiped my badge said, "Ooops, we sent out an excusal to you on the 15th".
How does one get removed from the circular pool of potential jurors? I have a medical excuse for a condition that only will get worse over time.
I really don't want to go through with this every 3-4 years. Anyone know of a legal and honest way to let the people down on Lewis street that I don't want another one of their summons sent to me?

You know I did the same thing years ago (10?) they gave me a hard time but they excused it & I haven't received a letter since. Maybe they won't ask you again.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I can't answer your question, but just be glad you don't live in CA. My wife and I received a summons every 12-18 months when we lived there.
That's interesting. I lived in southern California for 26 years, always wanted to be on a jury, and they never sent me a summons, never until the very last week when I was moving out of California! And they almost didn't excuse me because they didn't believe I was actually moving! I had to show proof of the new residence first. Very strict in California, and they are just as bad here.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
I have heard that the best way to avoid jury duty is to place the summons in the circular file the first time you receive one.

I can't imagine that the county spends a lot of resources tracking those people down.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Who in their right mind would want to be tried by a jusry made up of 13 people that were too stupid to get out of jury duty

Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,673 times
I wish I could get by with every 3-4 years. Here in White Pine County, every 2 years you get a letter saying you're in that years jury pool, and you may recieve multiple summons in that year. I just got a summons today for a murder trial . But the good thing about living in a small town is I know alot of the witnesses in the case (cops and hospital personel), so I hope that will get me out of it.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Who in their right mind would want to be tried by a jusry made up of 13 people that were too stupid to get out of jury duty
Have you ever seen Let's Go To Prison? That trial part is hilarious!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:13 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,798 times
Just tell the judge that you are an alcoholic and can't go 4 hours without a drink or you will have a seizure. You don't even need a doctor's excuse for that one. Wear some clothes that you have spilled some beer on. But make sure you will test negative if they test you and say you have to leave right now, you feel a seizure coming on.

Either they will think you are an alcoholic or a nut and it will get you out of jury duty.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
You guys just reminded me that I still have jury duty back east coming up this winter. I better get on that..

Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Just tell the judge that you are an alcoholic and can't go 4 hours without a drink or you will have a seizure. You don't even need a doctor's excuse for that one. Wear some clothes that you have spilled some beer on. But make sure you will test negative if they test you and say you have to leave right now, you feel a seizure coming on.

Either they will think you are an alcoholic or a nut and it will get you out of jury duty.
That won't work here. They will either make them stay and change clothes or make them do community service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas