Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I got one when I bought my house. I had to replace the pool pump and the AC. They didn't cover anything. It was a waste as far as I was concerned but it just came with the house. I didn't ask for it.

They did offer to renew my policy but I declined.
It was not one of these free inspection policies by any chance?

That is a pretty obvious scam. You get a free inspection if you take their home warrantee.They use that inspection to rule out anything questionable. Claim it is an existing defect.

Normally you use the inspection to demonstrate that the device was working on purchase. Then it is almost impossible for the insurance company to avoid paying.

Some policies actually don't cover A/C...but it is normally in the first addon.

Say a little more about why the stuff was not covered YS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It was not one of these free inspection policies by any chance?

That is a pretty obvious scam. You get a free inspection if you take their home warrantee.They use that inspection to rule out anything questionable. Claim it is an existing defect.

Normally you use the inspection to demonstrate that the device was working on purchase. Then it is almost impossible for the insurance company to avoid paying.

Some policies actually don't cover A/C...but it is normally in the first addon.

Say a little more about why the stuff was not covered YS...
They said it was all existing problems. I couldn't fight them because I hadn't owned the house long enough to know.

AND, when I replaced the stuff that went down, I also upgraded and they won't cover that either.

Far as I was concerned, it was a waste. When stuff went belly up, I was in a hurry to get it replaced. If I had had more time to fight with them, I might have gotten something.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 04-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I got one from a house I bought in Pittsburgh via Coldwell Banker and they replaced the dishwasher when it blew up 8 months after I bought the house. I also purchased one when I sold a house. My Realtor had it on the list of perks on the sales sheet she created for visitors. I think it helped. I don't remember how much it cost, but I seriously doubt I would have done it had it cost anywhere near $500.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
bottom line is whether or not the premium + cost of service is worth the actual service you may or may not need. generally speaking , you are not going to get a high quality repair job from the companies that are selected to do warranty repair work and you have no control over who they send out unless you live in an area where the insurance company have no contracts with local repair shops. But we did learn that if we stated it was an "emergency" repair situation that they responded a little more quickly.

Also, over the last several years, especially when the new HVAC govt minimum energy specs went into effect, they have all raised their service call fees, doubling in some cases. Our first policy was only $35 a call, now it can be $60 or more.

anyway, its like most insurance in that over the course of several years, you generally will be paying out more for premiums than the cost of benefits you may get in return, but thats not putting a price on "peace of mind" of just having a policy in place "just in case" something major happens.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Home warranties ar ok but if you are a semi handy person, they may be useless.

They tend to use bottom line a/c companies to do their work for them. I have read many nightmares about improper a/c repairs by some home warranty companies and they will usually milk an old system that should be replaced, until it absolutely will not run any longer. Meanwhile, your paying the high a/c bills!

When we first bought our house, they provided a one year warranty and when it expired, I did not renew.

I replaced my own a/c unit myself, for almost nothing and cannot justify the several hundred dollars a year that the contract costs, just incase something that I can fix might break.

But all in all, the prgram may be ok for some people, just beware of the a/c end of it, I cannot stress this enough!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
I have found it best in most cases to self-insure for life's curve balls and avoid any kind of extended service plan for anything. I have had much better luck having semi-annual preventive maintenance performed on my HVAC which usually brings high failure rate items, such as capacitors, to my attention before they have a chance to fail. I am diligent about maintaining my home. I prefer preventative maintenance as opposed to waiting for something to fail. I prefer doing simple maintenance myself because it saves me money and I get to lay eyes on things I might have glossed over and fix them before they have a chance to cost me.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
I have found it best in most cases to self-insure for life's curve balls and avoid any kind of extended service plan for anything. I have had much better luck having semi-annual preventive maintenance performed on my HVAC which usually brings high failure rate items, such as capacitors, to my attention before they have a chance to fail. I am diligent about maintaining my home. I prefer preventative maintenance as opposed to waiting for something to fail. I prefer doing simple maintenance myself because it saves me money and I get to lay eyes on things I might have glossed over and fix them before they have a chance to cost me.
Preventive a/c maintenance is the best thing you can do for your system.

Sorry thing is, only a small percentage of people follow this good practice.

I have had to repair and replace neglected a/c systems in 110 degree plus heat and it stinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas