Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Hmmm- not sure how my post that you quoted implies that I have a chip on my shoulder, or that I may be racist.
As that was quite a personal, insulting remark, you should explain yourself.
Quote:
Redsox1972
Is it you or that big 'ole chip on your shoulder that is on the verge of a racist rant?
It's called "Race Baiting"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

31 posts, read 93,345 times
America's and Europe's immigration systems have been disastrous. When you create situations wher you have cultural balkanization and large masses of immigrants on public assitance (the average US legal immigrant costs the nation money; the average illegal immigrant still more), you create a system bound to fail.

A nation like Australia that places precedence on English speakers experienced in selective fields that favors the young and those who are married to other productive individuals makes far more sense to me than the US immigration system. Chain immigration? Can't say I'm a fan. Nuclear families are fine for immigration purposes, but the good of the nation as a whole needs to be considerd.

We're further creating a system that:

1) creates bigger tax burdens by placing immigrants on public assistance, burdens the infrastructure

2) Suppresses the wages of those who could most benefit minimal competition for jobs (read: relatively unskilled labor)

3) destroys cultural stability under the misguided notion that societies can absorb all level of change. Homogeneity creates true culture through isolation.

It's funny, when the 1965 immigration act passed, Ted Kennedy swore up and down that there would be very little change in the total number of immigrants. He was a bit off, eh?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
I'm against any and all immigration as long as we have a high unemployment rate. I believe immigration should be directly tied to our unemployment rate...If unemployment is above say 5% zero immigration.
Lets put American's back to work, and force these companies to hire and train Americans. Almost every decent job out there requires experiance because the companies don't want to train new employees, it's not good for thier bottom line.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:40 AM

387 posts, read 591,295 times
For people who are against high legal immigration, 80% of the legal immigration is family based, only 10% immigrant visas are issued based on employment, about 168,00 out of little more than 1,000,00

Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I'm against any and all immigration as long as we have a high unemployment rate. I believe immigration should be directly tied to our unemployment rate...If unemployment is above say 5% zero immigration.
Lets put American's back to work, and force these companies to hire and train Americans. Almost every decent job out there requires experiance because the companies don't want to train new employees, it's not good for thier bottom line.
immigration is not the reason companies are not hiring americans---ever hear bout outsourcing by big companies---immigrants have NO bearing on what large companies r not doing to hire in this country

Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
maybe this forum should be closed for now since there will apparently be little or no action against illegal immigrants unless one is a criminal.
Why go to the trouble of doing it the right way?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
maybe this forum should be closed for now since there will apparently be little or no action against illegal immigrants unless one is a criminal.
Why go to the trouble of doing it the right way?
You do have a point there.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:50 PM

85 posts, read 151,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
We let in one million a year, legally
And 10 million illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration