Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
We don't even have enough jobs for Americans. Why can't we just take a 5 year break from allowing others to move here? Seems like the smart thing to do. It's time to take care of Americans. I talk to many people around me who seem disillusioned that folks from other cultures are coming here in huge numbers and not embracing American principles (limited government etc.). What are your feelings?
Wait, your post is a little confusing. First you address unemployment, but then you address an assumed political ideology of immigrants, while at the same time insinuating that the democratic party's platform of more involved government is un-American? So are you upset about them taking jobs or that they tend to support the democratic party?

I can agree with you about legal immigrants taking jobs, and I fully agree legal immigration should be curbed during a recession. However your premise that the democratic party's ideology of a more involved government is un-American, I disagree with. The World War II era is viewed as one of the most "American" eras is the country's history, and most Americans believed in a more involved government at that time. This limited government ideology began dying out at the turn of the 20th century and didn't revive until Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
The problem is that illegal immigrants have become a voting bloc to Democrats,
and a source of cheap labor to Republicans.

You got in in ONE!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This used to be a forum section to exchange information about immigration, forms, processing times, ...

When was that?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM

329 posts, read 460,746 times
I m looking to surrender my green card. Obama care scares me, job pay crap, tax, only problem problem...

Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
I m looking to surrender my green card. Obama care scares me, job pay crap, tax, only problem problem...
Yeah, it sucks. Europe is much better.

Oh, wait.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM

329 posts, read 460,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Yeah, it sucks. Europe is much better.

Oh, wait.
it s all the same. usa or Europe. they both suck.
Spain guys are in street now. no job, nothing. I predict in 2017 another big crisis. crisis of broken gouvernement. .

you just need to see the debt counter of fox channel and you will see the debt is still going up.

to big to fail? it will. and it will be very bad.

it s time to be ready. move to a good cheap country. buy house... at least u have a place to crash when our dollars will worth peanut...

better to be a paranoia than being sorry.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
it s all the same. usa or Europe. they both suck.
Spain guys are in street now. no job, nothing. I predict in 2017 another big crisis. crisis of broken gouvernement. .

you just need to see the debt counter of fox channel and you will see the debt is still going up.

to big to fail? it will. and it will be very bad.

it s time to be ready. move to a good cheap country. buy house... at least u have a place to crash when our dollars will worth peanut...

better to be a paranoia than being sorry.
You forgot guns.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You need to understand that I commonly hear from those that want to curtail all legal immigration, including for the spouses of U.S. citizens. I gave 22 years of service to this country. There shouldn't be any restriction to whom I choose to marry, and bring into this great country, as long as I financially support them.
I know you "live it", so you would hear more about spousal visas than I. Everyone I know (smaller group), that have a problem with visas agree with your statement "There shouldn't be any restriction to whom I choose to marry".

Personally, I think the problem is guest worker programs and illegals. IMO I believe that we do not need to artificially increase the number employees when we do not have enough jobs for 1.) current citizens and permeant residences ans 2.) the millennia generation is having difficult finding employment.

IMO, if we "truly" need these guest workers we should find a way to decrease need for the high percentage of workers in this country as "guests".

First off, hiring a college grad process need to change. For example, Intel has a rotation program that one needs a 3.0-3.5 GPA to get into. The get visas for college grads that have these GPAs instead of hiring someone with a 2.8-3.4 GPA from the same University. That doesn't sound like a short supply of workers. That sounds like an unnecessary weeding out process.

Secondly, I think that if we can't find "skilled workers" then companies should have to do what they have done for a very long time. TRAIN WORKERS! If we cut training programs, and our population ages, and companies lay off workers (and then don't hire them back claiming they lost their skills), OF COURSE there will be a shortage of skilled workers! IMO (if this is truly a problem and not hype), we should then have the "skilled" visa workers train the American workers and remove ourselves from the dependance of guest workers.

My field for example, in 2006 was throwing ridiculous bonuses and recruiting like crazy. In 2008, it was staying afloat but laying people off and not hiring college grads. MOST people did not get rehired and for the most part it did not grow, or shrink. In 2010/2011 it started to grow a little, followed by a big shrinkage. Since 2008, very few college grads we hire since 2008. I just graduated college, in 2013, and 90% of the job descriptions say "require 5 years of experience". Obviously, if no US companies hired college graduates (and laid off graduates of 2005-2008) in the last 5 years, there will be no one with 5 years of experience. IE the SKILL BUBBLE.

We need to take a sustainable approach (I'm not sure what that is). BUT, We cannot let 30million people in the US every time we need money to fuel our over regulating/over extending/over spending government.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
Corporate Profits are an important factor in decisions taken by US Congress or Government. Defense Contractors will lobby in favor of Immigration Bill as they will make big profit.

Immigration Reform Bill Is A Multi-Billion Dollar Bonanza For Defense Contractors - Forbes

As we are moving out of Iraq and Afghanistan, those corporations need a new source of minting money.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I know you "live it", so you would hear more about spousal visas [realistically the non-immigrant K-3 is the only "spousal visa" of the system] than I. Everyone I know (smaller group), that have a problem with visas agree with your statement "There shouldn't be any restriction to whom I choose to marry"...
The topic may go over to debating same-sex marriages for immigration, so I also do want to state mine is "conventional", between a man and a beautiful, hard-working woman. These topics start the same way every time:

"All immigration needs to be stopped!"

"25% of all legal immigration is from marriages to U.S. citizens, and about 10% for the minor children of those marriages."

[Deep in thought, blinking eyes for twenty minutes, while internally trying to resolve the myth they had heard over and over, saying that spouses of U.S. citizens instantly became citizens themselves]

Well, those other kinds of immigration need to be stopped!"

"Why is that?"

"Because too many of those illegals are coming!"

"So why do you want to punish those that are doing it legally?"

[Generally this circular logic can't be resolved to them, and they lash out at you as a response]

So next point, I know there is an Illegal Immigration section that also is a catch-all to these sorts of debate. Can we drop the angle of illegal immigration if the discussion is here? I am interested in those that want to stop legal immigration based on its own merits (or perceived lack of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration