Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM

794 posts, read 1,671,332 times

Advertisements

So all these tea party republicans who caused government shutdown, native Americans should tell them to go back to Europe if they don't like the policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
But girl is not Mexican, she is American by birth and has freedom of speech to criticize her government's policies and flaws of political system. Patriotism and blind faith in political system are two different things. Hispanic origin doesn't limit one's democratic rights.
But obviously her allegience is to Mexico, not to this country. There was a hispanic teacher here who told some America-hating kids waving the Mexican flag at school that they should go back to Mexico and take their flag home with them. He didn't get in trouble for it -- not only that some hispanic kids agreed with him.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
The parents need to meet with the teacher before even thinking about going to the principal. News flash: students are not always truthful. If it was indeed said, it could easily have been another student. If the teacher did say it, then by all means meet with the principal, but this will be very hard to prove. I am also tired of everything being considered racist. If this statement was made, maybe it was racist and maybe not. The aunt was not there and neither was the OP.
Racist would have to include something being said about her actual race and that doesn't seem to have been the case. Mexico is a multi-racial country as is the USA. Besides -- if the USA-hating girl was born here, what would that have to do with legal immigration?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM

25 posts, read 32,487 times
Quote:
An immigrant employee told us that her niece was told to go back to Mexico for criticizing government policies during some debate class. This girl is third generation American and never ever even visited Mexico. They didn't complaint to school because they don't want to make an issue out of it and think that girl needs better debating skills to get her point across without offending others in a heated discussion. I agree about need to work on debating skills but this is raciism and school should be notified. What's your opinion?
I think if this is all they have to grouse about, they have it pretty good here in the States. In Mexico the cartels are lobbing grenades into police stations and chopping peoples' heads off. The economy is certainly worse. Mexico has very strict border controls on their southern border, and they treat people who jump that border pretty harshly. I also understand that they have pretty strict ideas about foreigners politically agitating in their country, and wouldn't tolerate a bunch of gringos ("racist" term, but that's how we are widely referred to down there) congregating by the thousands and marching for this and protesting for that like we tolerate from criminal infiltrators here. I'm pretty sure their schools and teachers and PTAs aren't wringing their hands over how gringos are treated. So I think they're pretty hypocritical if they expect rights and priviliges here that they don't grant our kind down there.

The simple principle of reciprocity (you'd think a country full of Catholics would've heard of the Golden Rule), and the complete lack of it from Mexico and Mexicans, is why I don't have much time for their whining here. When they clean up their own back yard, maybe I'll listen more closely to their complaints.

Quote:
Did the teacher say this to the girl? Because you didnt say that in the post.

And at th same time you are 100% correct. And as long as it was not a teacher because that would be inappropriate as a school employee anyone else has the right to tell the girl to "go back to Mexico"
Well, if one sees a lot/too many Mexicans of whatever generation doing things one sees as bad for one's country, I think it makes sense to regret the decision made by whomever in the past to allow his Mexican ancestors to immigrate. You know, a "if the guy making the decision back then could see the results today, he'd have made a different decision" sort of thing. Sounds like a legitimate position to me.

And Mexicans are not a race (there are white, black, brown, red, yellow, etc., Mexicans), so crying "racism" seems like the usual last refuge of the typical lib scoundrel.

Also, if the kid in question is so "American," you know, third generation, then how does the teacher even know the kid is "Mexican"? My guess is, because that's how the kid refers to himself. Meaning, the kid probably opened himself up to being referred to as a Mexican by doing so himself. Otherwise, we'd probably be hearing a story about how the teacher erroneously referred to the kid as a "Mexican," and how the kid corrected him and said, "what are you talking about? I'm an American, lol," and a good laugh was had by all.

Quote:
So all these tea party republicans who caused government shutdown, native Americans should tell them to go back to Europe if they don't like the policies?
I've never really understood this argument. It's a favorite of libs, but in my experience it makes no sense. First of all, Native Americans didn't found or build this country. There was no USA until the European colonists and settlers and pioneers built it.

(There was no immigration either, just colonization, settling, and pioneering. It was only after the country was established that immigration began. Conquerors are not immigrants, they're conquerors. E.g., my earliest ancestors to come to this continent came long before there was a United States. They weren't immigrants, they were colonists, settlers, and pioneers. They didn't come to this country, they came to a wild land and BUILT this country).

Second, the argument seems based on the idea that it was okay for the Amerinds to fight the conquerors tooth and nail (and a great many of them did), but it's wrong for modern Americans to do the same; conversely, it says that Europeans were wrong for settling the continent and elbowing out the natives, but it's hunkey-dorey for Mexicans and third-worlders to immigrate and elbow out the natives. Seems like a really selective bit of "logic" to me.

Third, it seems odd to me that so many Americans seem comfortable saying that "Palestinian" is a made-up group, but it doesn't occur to them that "Native American" is a much more made-up group than "Palestinian" (I'm not suggesting any individual here fits this category of Americans, just making a general observation). Sure, it's a catch-all term that makes sense in a certain context, but there's no "we" to "Native American," or at least, there wasn't back when Europeans settled the continent. At the time, the natives were not a "group" in any real sense. They were separate tribes who warred on one another continually, spoke different languages, and competed with one another for territory and resources at least as much as with whites. In fact, as far as I can tell, they were at least as likely to team up with the European colonists to gain an advantage over their native adversaries as they were to team up with other native tribes/nations to fight the colonists.

I haven't been paying much attention to the shutdown, but my impression is that Democrats control the Senate and the White House, so if they couldn't get anything done, it was their fault. That's the way majority control works. You get the majority of the power, you take the majority of the blame.

And the shutdown just ended today, right? If you blamed Republicans for the shutdown, shouldn't you also be thanking them now for ending the shutdown? Or do you want it both ways, like most libs?

It's also my understanding that Republicans offered a lot of bills to get the gov't funded piecemeal, and the Dems shot them down the whole time. Meaning, the Republicans tried, but the Dems refused to bargain. I've also read enough about the administration's efforts to make the shutdown as painful as possible to the citizenry that I don't have much sympathy for Dems' cries of pain about the shutdown.

Personally, I think shutdowns are what should happen to institutions that can't balance their books, keep a reasonable lid on waste, fraud, and graft, and work within their means. It's long past overdue that we call the fed gov't to the carpet for their cushy "working" conditions, excessive compensation, inefficiency, and bureaucratic bloat.

Last edited by Mr. John; 10-17-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 PM

794 posts, read 1,671,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But obviously her allegience is to Mexico, not to this country. There was a hispanic teacher here who told some America-hating kids waving the Mexican flag at school that they should go back to Mexico and take their flag home with them. He didn't get in trouble for it -- not only that some hispanic kids agreed with him.
Where did you get the idea that her allegiance is to Mexico? Apparently, thing that surprised her was the fact that there was no mention of Mexico, until teacher came up with the solution that if she has a problem with American politics then she should go back to Mexico. For the sake of a hypothetical argument, if there was some comparison even then is this an appropriate remark from any adult( let alone a teacher) to a kid?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Hard to say. On 9/11, I had Mexican students tell me the US deserved to be attacked, and if we went to war, they were just going to return to Mexico until it was over. The response they got from me was, "If you feel that way, perhaps you should just go back now." Yes, it was inappropriate for me to say, but it was also a stupid thing for a student to say. Over the years, a good 98% of my students were Hispanic. For some of them, calling me "racist" was their only defense when they got in trouble. Without knowing the full context of the conversation, it's impossible to know if the teacher is truly racist.
If any "student" would come to school with remarks like that, can you imagine what they are being taught at home? So sad they lack the common sense to understand that 9/11 was not only attack on America but on all civilized societies in the world.

Anyone wanting to report the teacher in the OP is only looking to make trouble and probably has too much time on their hands. Our tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on such silliness.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Where did you get the idea that her allegiance is to Mexico? Apparently, thing that surprised her was the fact that there was no mention of Mexico, until teacher came up with the solution that if she has a problem with American politics then she should go back to Mexico. For the sake of a hypothetical argument, if there was some comparison even then is this an appropriate remark from any adult( let alone a teacher) to a kid?
Maybe she calls herself that? I went to college with people who were 3rd and 4th generation Americans who also never stepped foot into Mexico and they still called themselves Mexicans and had big Mexican flags on their walls. It doesn't matter if they're born here or there, they view themselves as Mexican in very many cases.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM

25 posts, read 32,487 times
Another thing I find odd is how much Spanish conquistador blood Mexicans typically have, but they're treated like poor downtrodden "Native Americans" by the lib establishment and the press here in America. The timeline goes something like this:

1. White guys come from Spain to colonize, settle, pioneer, and otherwise conquer Central America.
2. White guys from Spain settle down with Amerind wives, have mixed kids, create mixed race now known as "mestizos," the dominant racial group in Mexico.
3. Mestizos (descendants of white Spanish conquistadors) jump the border to America and play the fiddle about how badly they're treated by the descendants of white British conquerors.

Is that about the size of it, or did I miss something?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Seriously? American-born ones?
Oh, yes! In Southern California there is a large population of 1st and 2nd generation children of Mexican immigrants. I don't know if the message comes from parents, or others in their community, but I would frequently hear about how badly the US sucked, and how much better it is in Mexico.

I think just about anybody hearing this on a daily basis, would find themselves at least thinking, "If you hate it here, and there is so much better, then go!" As a matter of fact, many parents of teens have this thought toward their own children - no race involved there.

I really don't pay attention to race/ethnicity/country of origin, unless somebody brings it up. I had an office manager who was Colombian. She brought it up one day, and was shocked that I had no idea she was Hispanic. She asked what I thought she was and I didn't have an answer, hadn't thought of it at all.

One day my students were not working at all. I said, "Wow! You guys are so lazy!" I was referring to the
"you guys" (of mixed backgrounds) sitting right there in my class. A few days later a parent was in the office demanding a meeting. She wanted to know why I had told my class "all Mexicans are lazy." I had to ask the student what she was talking about. I was floored when I figured out that my telling a class of 30 teenagers they were lazy, had turned into a slam against an entire population.

This is the number 1 reason, when I hear "teacher said...", I really want to know the entire context of what was said. I know first-hand how things can get twisted around.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
I've been a resident of the USA since 1997 and an American citizen since 2008. I have been told numerous times to go 'home' when I dare to criticize anything in the USA. It's not the brightest or the most creative, intelligent response someone could give. Consider the source and yes, even from a teacher. A teacher should be more intelligent than to say that to anybody at any given time. A teaacher should be able to redirect the comment and make it more positive and perhaps an opportunity for learning. Being rude back to someone who makes a rude comment does nothing for the future....it's just 'getting back' at someone...and when a person of authority, a teacher, chooses to behave like the child...it's not the best solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration