Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times

Advertisements

I am reminded of why my hubby decided not to work in any public school in today's climate. No sense trying to teach the three Rs since they are not devisive enough. Americans are world leaders in all areas of arts and sciences, if students don't know that, it is their loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 PM

25 posts, read 32,466 times
Quote:
I've been a resident of the USA since 1997 and an American citizen since 2008. I have been told numerous times to go 'home' when I dare to criticize anything in the USA.
I notice you didn't mention which country you hail from, even though I just raised the issue of reciprocity a few minutes ago. Is this just an innocent oversight on your part, or are you playing coy so no one can compare and contrast native behavior in your country with native behavior here? In other words, how friendly is your native country to foreigners? The chances that it's friendlier than the United States are roughly zero, so I suppose it doesn't really matter where you come from. America takes in more immigrants, of more diverse origins, than any other country.

Quote:
It's not the brightest or the most creative, intelligent response someone could give. Consider the source and yes, even from a teacher. A teacher should be more intelligent than to say that to anybody at any given time. A teaacher should be able to redirect the comment and make it more positive and perhaps an opportunity for learning. Being rude back to someone who makes a rude comment does nothing for the future....it's just 'getting back' at someone...and when a person of authority, a teacher, chooses to behave like the child...it's not the best solution.
Personally, I find your advice of cultural surrender counter-productive. America had a much better track record assimilating immigrants back when we had the spine to demand assimilation and hold immigrants to certain standards of behavior, with respect for our country among them. Nowadays we demand nothing, and get nothing as a result.

Last edited by Mr. John; 10-17-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,272 times
Another "Oh the poor minorities. foriegners, etc".... Every American is entitled to say what they feel about a myriad of things... Unless of course it is about offing the President.... That they will lock your butt up for a long time.....

BUT if this was a debate, the teachers view is as justified as the girls.. In a debate you state your opinion or thought..She stated hers and he stated his.. End of conversation... No Racism involved. Why does everyone bring up Racism every time they get butt hurt... I for one and sick and tired of it...

Seriously if you think that you are being treated differently because of your race, then please by all means go somewhere else....

Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. John View Post

"Quote:
So all these tea party republicans who caused government shutdown, native Americans should tell them to go back to Europe if they don't like the policies?"

I've never really understood this argument. It's a favorite of libs, but in my experience it makes no sense. First of all, Native Americans didn't found or build this country. There was no USA until the European colonists and settlers and pioneers built it.

Other than Native Americans, we are all immigrants. Some got here early, some late but we are a nation of immigrants. Every citizen has a responsibility to join military if needed, to pay taxes, to follow the law and to vote. Every citizen has freedom of speech to criticize the political system, political parties and the government. Every citizen has the privilege to live freely, to get healthcare, to get education, to work and volunteer in society according to his/her ability.

We can't divide citizens in classes because they were born 100 years ago or 15 years ago and if they made sure or not that their ancestors accompany Columbus.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
She should've said, "Why won't you go back to Europe?"

Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Another "Oh the poor minorities. foriegners, etc".... Every American is entitled to say what they feel about a myriad of things... Unless of course it is about offing the President.... That they will lock your butt up for a long time.....

BUT if this was a debate, the teachers view is as justified as the girls.. In a debate you state your opinion or thought..She stated hers and he stated his.. End of conversation... No Racism involved. Why does everyone bring up Racism every time they get butt hurt... I for one and sick and tired of it...

Seriously if you think that you are being treated differently because of your race, then please by all means go somewhere else....
And this is an example of a cold-hearted, misinformed, and incompetent American...

If you're sick and tired of hearing about racism, move to states like Vermont, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Main, New Hampshire, Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, or Iowa where there a little are very little minorities. Or maybe try a less-diverse country like Ireland, that way everyone looks the same.

Racism is the belief that a race is superior to the others; prejudice or discrimination because of one's race; poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

The teacher told the student to "Go back to Mexico!" which is being prejudice. Prejudice is preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. Therefore, the teacher was being racist.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
And this is an example of a cold-hearted, misinformed, and incompetent American...

If you're sick and tired of hearing about racism, move to states like Vermont, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Main, New Hampshire, Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, or Iowa where there a little are very little minorities. Or maybe try a less-diverse country like Ireland, that way everyone looks the same.

Racism is the belief that a race is superior to the others; prejudice or discrimination because of one's race; poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

The teacher told the student to "Go back to Mexico!" which is being prejudice. Prejudice is preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. Therefore, the teacher was being racist.

I'm with you.

However, "Mexican" isnt a race. There is no "therefore" by the definition you have posted.
Again, its not racism.
The teacher was being hugely prejudiced - culturally prejudiced. The teacher is completely unprofessional and should not be in that position at a public school where the job is to educate not opinionate.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe she calls herself that? I went to college with people who were 3rd and 4th generation Americans who also never stepped foot into Mexico and they still called themselves Mexicans and had big Mexican flags on their walls. It doesn't matter if they're born here or there, they view themselves as Mexican in very many cases.
My family is pretty mixed White and Mexican, so we have all the shades. I have more than a few cousins and nephews that selectively do this depending on the circumstance. My nephew (who looks Native but isn't ) who is in the Army made a quip about the southwest belonging to Mexico at one time and perhaps it still should. I said "Dude, you don't even speak Spanish and if it was still part of Mexico you sure wouldn't be living there". He looked over with a smile and said "you got me there".

On the other hand you have Irish and Italian Americans caught up into identiying themselves by those Nationalities too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Other than Native Americans, we are all immigrants. Some got here early, some late but we are a nation of immigrants. Every citizen has a responsibility to join military if needed, to pay taxes, to follow the law and to vote. Every citizen has freedom of speech to criticize the political system, political parties and the government. Every citizen has the privilege to live freely, to get healthcare, to get education, to work and volunteer in society according to his/her ability.

We can't divide citizens in classes because they were born 100 years ago or 15 years ago and if they made sure or not that their ancestors accompany Columbus.
Oh, but people try. Everybody has to have their little non American identity (With the exception of Native Americans), reinforced by check blocks on Federal forms.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Other than Native Americans, we are all immigrants. Some got here early, some late but we are a nation of immigrants. .
^
Forever the dumb argument. For the millionth time, AMERICAN BLACKS ARE NOT IMMIGRANTSI wont rehash the whole history but we know how they got here. Everybody else from Europe and South America came to escape something or to look for something here.

And the reason the south American immigrants take such a beating as compared to those from Europe, is because a lot of the European immigrants got here before the New Deal, basically b4 there was a social service system, to juice off. Although Armenians in CA are not helping that argument but I digress.

And lets be real, if you are of Latino or Asian descent, even if you are a 2 or 3rd generation whatever, most Whites and Blacks look at you like a hyphen-American, and that's not going to change for some time.

So if that student had a Spanish last name or has been heard speaking Spanish, and this took place in a border state, then its easy for the teacher to assume they were Mexican. Not saying it was right for the teacher to say it, but sometimes u cant help but respond out loud to stupidity and ungratefulness
And when I say ungratefulness, I mean not understanding how lucky they are to be in a country that treats illegals like a welcome guest and gives away food and money at will

Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM

285 posts, read 749,919 times
Please speak properly, that could xenophobia, but not racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration