Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 32,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Sorry, but you do not have an advanced level of English. If you can understand only 60% to 70% of the words on tv you have at best a basic level of English. Also, in English every new sentence is started with a capital.

What specific questions do you have?
I cannot believe what I read!!! How can you be so rude? Have you ever moved to another country and speak 2 languages???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:04 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl1208 View Post
Quote:
Sorry, but you do not have an advanced level of English. If you can understand only 60% to 70% of the words on tv you have at best a basic level of English. Also, in English every new sentence is started with a capital.

What specific questions do you have?
I cannot believe what I read!!! How can you be so rude? Have you ever moved to another country and speak 2 languages???
Rude? I am telling it like it is. Wanting to obtain an H1-B visa means there will be fairly high requirements as to what he has to be capable of. Other than just tourist English, he should be able to speak business English which he'll need to be able to understand what is going on at work. If he can understand less than 70% of what is on tv, he does not speak English very well.

As far as speaking two languages, easily, as I am Dutch and English is not my native tongue.
But instead of telling him he needs to improve his English, we can all just cheer him on, I am sure that will really help him. Until he applies for a job and then has to find out the truth.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:37 PM

23 posts, read 32,621 times
Quote:
Rude? I am telling it like it is. Wanting to obtain an H1-B visa means there will be fairly high requirements as to what he has to be capable of. Other than just tourist English, he should be able to speak business English which he'll need to be able to understand what is going on at work. If he can understand less than 70% of what is on tv, he does not speak English very well.

As far as speaking two languages, easily, as I am Dutch and English is not my native tongue.
But instead of telling him he needs to improve his English, we can all just cheer him on, I am sure that will really help him. Until he applies for a job and then has to find out the truth.
I understand that your first intention was to help him but the way you told him was not very nice! But now I understand why... You are European, and we (I am French) always say things in a way that may sound rude.

Anyway, I need to add that TV is helpful but not the most important. When I moved I had excellent writing skills but had a hard time to understand TV, so it doesn't mean that he doesn't have the level required.

Some people move to the US, and they barely can say a word, so to me its not a problem!

Thanks,

Old 09-14-2014, 05:43 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl1208 View Post
Some people move to the US, and they barely can say a word, so to me its not a problem!
Then you need to read the OP's post again. As well as some of his other posts. He wants to move to the US on an H1-B visa. Then his English will be an issue.
In other threads he wants to correspond with women in the US to find one to marry. His language skills will again be an issue.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Then you need to read the OP's post again. As well as some of his other posts. He wants to move to the US on an H1-B visa. Then his English will be an issue.
In other threads he wants to correspond with women in the US to find one to marry. His language skills will again be an issue.
There is no language test involved in an H1B application or interview. You would be surprised about the number of H1B holders in upper compensation ranges who can barely make themselves understood in English. It is not their forte. Who cares!

Better - talk to IT recruiters. English is not my native language but I talk for a living if you want to call it that:>). Often I cannot figure out what they are talking about. DMV, USCIS, Social Security, hospitals, even WalMart offer free translator services.

What does love and a relationship have to do with English:>))) Who knows, he may find the perfect match somewhere, somehow and she may be a US citizen?

This is a public forum. Please consider that especially in immigration forums posters are foreigners, have little knowledge of US immigration policy and ask uneducated questions about the land of milk and honey as in Little House on the Praerie. Of course then you have your old salts who can outfox an immigration attorney.

He wants to move to the US - OK. There is a long road between want and show up for work. I have seen people dig in, get the required education, work the system, register for Diversity Lottery every year, cash everything to go the investor route and those who work the system.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There is no language test involved in an H1B application or interview. You would be surprised about the number of H1B holders in upper compensation ranges who can barely make themselves understood in English. It is not their forte. Who cares!
apparently the IT industry doesn't we in the healthcare field DO care about it. we cannot come to the US unless we meet specific english requirements via TOEFL scoring. healthcare being a service, face-to-face industry, we have to be able to communicate to our clients sufficiently enough to deliver our service properly

Old 09-16-2014, 05:04 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
apparently the IT industry doesn't we in the healthcare field DO care about it. we cannot come to the US unless we meet specific english requirements via TOEFL scoring. healthcare being a service, face-to-face industry, we have to be able to communicate to our clients sufficiently enough to deliver our service properly
So the TOEFL is not a requirement for IT applicants looking to obtain an H-1B visa ? If the resultant lack of communication skills is not an impediment to office productivity, I don't know what is ....

Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
So the TOEFL is not a requirement for IT applicants looking to obtain an H-1B visa ? If the resultant lack of communication skills is not an impediment to office productivity, I don't know what is ....
that's why i told you before, you may have your perceptions of the people in the H1 visa, but your experience has been in the IT sector.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:07 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
that's why i told you before, you may have your perceptions of the people in the H1 visa, but your experience has been in the IT sector.
When the majority of H-1Bs is in the IT sector, you are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 PM

215 posts, read 260,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Better - talk to IT recruiters. English is not my native language but I talk for a living if you want to call it that:>). Often I cannot figure out what they are talking about. DMV, USCIS, Social Security, hospitals, even WalMart offer free translator services.

What does love and a relationship have to do with English:>))) Who knows, he may find the perfect match somewhere, somehow and she may be a US citizen?

This is a public forum. Please consider that especially in immigration forums posters are foreigners, have little knowledge of US immigration policy and ask uneducated questions about the land of milk and honey as in Little House on the Praerie. Of course then you have your old salts who can outfox an immigration attorney.

He wants to move to the US - OK. There is a long road between want and show up for work. I have seen people dig in, get the required education, work the system, register for Diversity Lottery every year, cash everything to go the investor route and those who work the system.
Threestep: Is there really is no English test for IT candidates on H1B? Whenever I applied for work in the US including my current work(HW/SW Engineering), they asked for any languages I knew and 'proof' of knowing the language(I had to take TOEFL for a Master's program so it was ok). I presumed this was common. Also, we recently rejected a competent candidate who was unable to communicate clearly in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration