Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 AM

17 posts, read 16,676 times

Advertisements

hi! folks this is juan from Argentina.
i am an electrical engineer and i am applying for job in usa to find a sponsor for the purpose of moving there to start a new life.
but the thing is if i find that job i would go there alone.
do you think its something that im doing well? of going alone? i have an advanced level of english, for instance i watch american news tv and i understand like 60-70% of what they say, but what about the daily life there especially that it will be a new world for me, a new culture

i hope to hear your advices

thanx

juan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:24 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,597 times
Sorry, but you do not have an advanced level of English. If you can understand only 60% to 70% of the words on tv you have at best a basic level of English. Also, in English every new sentence is started with a capital.

What specific questions do you have?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefreunde74 View Post
hi! folks this is juan from Argentina.
i am an electrical engineer and i am applying for job in usa to find a sponsor for the purpose of moving there to start a new life.
but the thing is if i find that job i would go there alone.
do you think its something that im doing well? of going alone? i have an advanced level of english, for instance i watch american news tv and i understand like 60-70% of what they say, but what about the daily life there especially that it will be a new world for me, a new culture

i hope to hear your advices

thanx

juan
Hey there, good luck in coming to the United States. Judging by your written English, it seems just fine. If you can understand 20% of what is on TV you have majority of immigrants beat. If you know the basics of grammar you have majority of Americans beat.

You'll be just fine coming to the United States alone. We all come from immigrant families, and for the most part everyone is friendly.

I don't know what to tell you to expect. Everyone is different and everyone takes and reacts to problems differently. If you can take the punches and rough times coming, then you'll be just fine. Moving is never as easy as planned and everything is more expensive than you think. If you can deal with that, I wouldn't worry about it. The people will be friendly if you're friendly and you'll make friends if you want to make friends.

USA is a great place, as long as you're not harming anyone you're free to be who you want to be and do what you want to do. Come on over, start your life over like everyone else who has immigrated here.

Best of luck.

If you have any more questions about the US, feel free to send me a PM. I speak Spanish so if you want to ask in Spanish that's fine by me.

I've been to Mendoza, I enjoyed it.. but just remember food prices are going to be more expensive here!! You won't get a nice steak dinner for 50 pesos

Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,014,228 times
Is this the same post or am I confused? Is not that you were asking how to do online interview?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
Is this the same post or am I confused? Is not that you were asking how to do online interview?
I think the same poster has started two threads on basically the same subject but under different user names - unless two posters from the same country have the identical dilemmas!

The bottom line is that he's applying for jobs in the US in the hopes that he can get a sponsorship from an employer and this is a very tough process unless one has exceptional aptitude in the particular field.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,688 times
i came to the US in 2007 and started in ohio. complete shock for me as i've never been to cold places prior to that, and the clothes i brought were too thin for the climate. had to buy cold-weather clothing ASAP, since i wasn't driving then.

as soon as the job/visa part is settled, you would be the wiser with the ff:

i really suggest be prepared for US driving. if you're already driving in your home country, it will give you an edge with getting a US driving license.

research on the area that you'll be working in so that you know the best places to look for apartments in. one of my coworkers did that, and it was quick for her to get an apartment as soon as her company sponsored time in the hotel was done--including setting up the utilities.

be prepared to finance a car--unless you live in an area with an extensive public transit. cleveland, ohio had that, but nothing like that anywhere in texas.

also, network, network, network. i have a nigerian coworker who arrived here from the UK and he's exceptionally good at networking (or at least getting people to do things for him even though it inconvenience the people he's asking from) and already has an outside job the minute he set foot in the US (well, he arrived with a green card) even though he doesn't have a car yet. my other coworkers are driving him to his outside job.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,014,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think the same poster has started two threads on basically the same subject but under different user names - unless two posters from the same country have the identical dilemmas!

The bottom line is that he's applying for jobs in the US in the hopes that he can get a sponsorship from an employer and this is a very tough process unless one has exceptional aptitude in the particular field.
I know how hard it is. But I still don't understand this gentleman,

Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
I know how hard it is. But I still don't understand this gentleman,
i guess you must be a USC. i completely understand him being a foreign trained worker on h1b visa myself here in the US. it's not like he said he just wants to come and live here--he has explained that he is looking for a job sponsor for someone of his qualification. it's not like he just wants to come here, get a flip-a-burger kind of job, and live the USA dream. and i think electrical engineers are among those that constantly have jobs open to them anyway since i think there's shortage of such since it requires such high degree of education. my brothers could've gotten here in the US quickly with their electrical engineering degrees, but they'd rather use their qualifications to build up our family business back home. it's a prestige thing for them, since i'm essentially earning more here in the US than what the family business generally earns in a month.

it's just a matter of finding an employer willing to sponsor his H1 visa for the OP. that's not possible for those minimum wage kind of jobs.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:08 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i guess you must be a USC. i completely understand him being a foreign trained worker on h1b visa myself here in the US. it's not like he said he just wants to come and live here--he has explained that he is looking for a job sponsor for someone of his qualification. it's not like he just wants to come here, get a flip-a-burger kind of job, and live the USA dream. and i think electrical engineers are among those that constantly have jobs open to them anyway since i think there's shortage of such since it requires such high degree of education. my brothers could've gotten here in the US quickly with their electrical engineering degrees, but they'd rather use their qualifications to build up our family business back home. it's a prestige thing for them, since i'm essentially earning more here in the US than what the family business generally earns in a month.

it's just a matter of finding an employer willing to sponsor his H1 visa for the OP. that's not possible for those minimum wage kind of jobs.
Please provide some statistics that prove there's a shortage of American-born electrical engineers in the U.S. IMO, more H-1Bs need to go home and "build up their family businesses" and stop taking jobs that rightfully belong to Americans.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Please provide some statistics that prove there's a shortage of American-born electrical engineers in the U.S. IMO, more H-1Bs need to go home and "build up their family businesses" and stop taking jobs that rightfully belong to Americans.
well, you're lucky my brothers didn't come here to take the jobs away from you then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration