Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
The Financial District is practically impossible, but north of there to maybe 23rd Street is mostly a matter of patience. During the day, the key is to find streets that are emptied of cars for street cleaning, and swoop in immediately when they open back up. Later on, loading and unloading zones that subsequently open up for regular parking are a godsend. Of course, the latter isn't all that good for overnight parking unless the reg is suspended on Sundays.
From an article in USA Today written in summer of 2011.
Midtown Manhattan median daily parking rates at $41,
Honolulu at $38 and
Boston at $34
Chicago $32;
downtown Manhattan and Los Angeles ($30);
San Francisco, San Diego and Philadelphia ($26); and
Seattle ($24).

So for my trip last month for 4 people that was $16 (4 * $4) for PATH trains, and $11 for parking. So the estimate would be $30 parking + $12 for Holland Tunnel.

I would be hard pressed to pay $18.50 per person for train from Summit.

Incidentally, Harrison carries fewer than 5% of the PATH passengers boarding at the 7 stations in NJ, so it is not a well known station . Passenger loads are about an equal 20% at Newark, Hoboken, and Journal Square. One of the advantages of a forum like this, is that it can find ideas that are not immediately obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 AM

93 posts, read 309,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
From an article in USA Today written in summer of 2011.
Midtown Manhattan median daily parking rates at $41,
Honolulu at $38 and
Boston at $34
Chicago $32;
downtown Manhattan and Los Angeles ($30);
San Francisco, San Diego and Philadelphia ($26); and
Seattle ($24).

So for my trip last month for 4 people that was $16 (4 * $4) for PATH trains, and $11 for parking. So the estimate would be $30 parking + $12 for Holland Tunnel.

I would be hard pressed to pay $18.50 per person for train from Summit.

Incidentally, Harrison carries fewer than 5% of the PATH passengers boarding at the 7 stations in NJ, so it is not a well known station . Passenger loads are about an equal 20% at Newark, Hoboken, and Journal Square. One of the advantages of a forum like this, is that it can find ideas that are not immediately obvious.

You're looking at average parking garage rates in Midtown? It isn't a monolithic location. I'm wondering why a corporation-heavy neighborhood that's neither close to nightlife or tourist destinations would charge the same rates on nights and weekends as garages in other parts of Midtown that are situated close - or in the middle of - all the above? I'm just trying to help people who know very little, but I'm certainly not gonna waste my time debating these things because you read something, somewhere.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
You're looking at average parking garage rates in Midtown? It isn't a monolithic location. I'm wondering why a corporation-heavy neighborhood that's neither close to nightlife or tourist destinations would charge the same rates on nights and weekends as garages in other parts of Midtown that are situated close - or in the middle of - all the above? I'm just trying to help people who know very little, but I'm certainly not gonna waste my time debating these things because you read something, somewhere.
From 110th Street down , it costs 41hr , above 110th street its 20hr.... Its a general price , on weekends its lower 15hr , Street parking in this region is unrestricted....and free in some areas like Downtown Newark , Jersey City , Lower Manhattan , and parts of Midtown.... On nice days free parking will be hard to find in Manhattan , hench why Jersey City on the weekends is a great alt.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM

138 posts, read 283,906 times
I'm going into the city next weekend to visit the Cloisters annex of the Met, which is way up around 192nd St. I'm hoping for either free on-street parking (Saturday morning around 9) or a decent price for an all-day garage. Plausible? Wishful thinking?

Edit: I'm aware that there's free parking at the Cloisters themselves, but I have other business after dark and plan to park near the 190th St subway station so as to provide an easy exit.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I'm going into the city next weekend to visit the Cloisters annex of the Met, which is way up around 192nd St. I'm hoping for either free on-street parking (Saturday morning around 9) or a decent price for an all-day garage. Plausible? Wishful thinking?

Edit: I'm aware that there's free parking at the Cloisters themselves, but I have other business after dark and plan to park near the 190th St subway station so as to provide an easy exit.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Is this need to be around the 190th Street Station because your subsequent business requires taking the subway downtown and you'd like for the car to be right by the station when you get back?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 PM

138 posts, read 283,906 times
Correct. I'll be getting back around 2am in an unfamiliar neighborhood, so I'd like to not be wandering about.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Correct. I'll be getting back around 2am in an unfamiliar neighborhood, so I'd like to not be wandering about.
If you drive less than 3 miles across the 207th street bridge into the Bronx, and take #4 subway line down the East side of Manhattan there is a city garage right at the train station.

Rates: First hour: $1.75 per hour: Additional hours: $1.25 per hour

Jerome-190th Street Municipal Garage
2478 Jerome Avenue and East 190th Street at the Fordham Road 4 train station
418 spaces, including twelve spaces for people with disabilities
Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Cashier/Toll Operation (397 spaces)

Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
That's good thinking. The Washington Heights area isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be, but it isn't a good idea to be hunting for your car in the middle of the night there either. But really, you don't want to be making the interminable trip all the way back up there - or, worse yet, even further into The Bronx via an East Side #4 train - at the end of the night anyway.

My suggestion would be to just take advantage of the parking at The Cloisters. When you're done there, make the quick drive down to the Upper West Side. If you have the time or inclination, you can spend 15 minutes or so nosing around looking for a free space on the street, but I found this garage there without making any effort at all.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM

The discussion of keeping your car in NJ and spending the night in a hotel in Manhattan got me thinking. There are options within easy walking distance of the PATH station in NJ, from which it is a 15 minute $2 (24 hour) ride into Herald Square in midtown. Two options, one at the high end, and one in the middle are:
W hotel in Hoboken or Holland Motor Lodge.

On the low end, but still reasonably safe and comfortable is Ramada Jersey City.

You would have to get on a subway much of the time in Manhattan. It doesn't seem that much different to do the quick ride from NJ. The savings seem to be in the hundreds of dollars every night.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The discussion of keeping your car in NJ and spending the night in a hotel in Manhattan got me thinking. There are options within easy walking distance of the PATH station in NJ, from which it is a 15 minute $2 (24 hour) ride into Herald Square in midtown. Two options, one at the high end, and one in the middle are:
W hotel in Hoboken or Holland Motor Lodge.

On the low end, but still reasonably safe and comfortable is Ramada Jersey City.

You would have to get on a subway much of the time in Manhattan. It doesn't seem that much different to do the quick ride from NJ. The savings seem to be in the hundreds of dollars every night.
Keep in mind that this 15 minutes late at night bears no resemblance to reality, unless by some miracle you happen to stumble into the station at the exact second that a train arrives. They don't keep to a schedule later in the night either, no matter what the PATH lists to the contrary. This is why so many people in Hoboken/JC take pretty expensive cab rides home from the city late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley