Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
Keep in mind that this 15 minutes late at night bears no resemblance to reality, unless by some miracle you happen to stumble into the station at the exact second that a train arrives. They don't keep to a schedule later in the night either, no matter what the PATH lists to the contrary. This is why so many people in Hoboken/JC take pretty expensive cab rides home from the city late at night.
Hmm , service at night isn't that bad , still better then the Subway....most of the people I know who live down there use the buses and trains at night over a expensive cab. Only rich spoiled Hoboken residents take cab service.... 15 minutes is the same level of service after 11pm on the Subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 AM

93 posts, read 309,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hmm , service at night isn't that bad , still better then the Subway....most of the people I know who live down there use the buses and trains at night over a expensive cab. Only rich spoiled Hoboken residents take cab service.... 15 minutes is the same level of service after 11pm on the Subway.

Maybe what you meant to say is that only people who are successful and have real jobs take cabs to Hoboken late at night rather than fall asleep in a PATH station.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-29-2012 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: removed personal attack. Play nice.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Maybe what you meant to say is that only people who are successful and have real jobs take cabs to Hoboken late at night rather than fall asleep in a PATH station.
Seeing as how a colorful characterization of bad information isn't a personal attack on this or any planet, I should note that the first half of this comment noted that the notion that parking garages are pretty much $41 is also terrible information. You know, seeing as how the whole point of the discussion was about saving money, and it's very easy to pay a lot less than that if one makes any effort to do so.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yes , or the super rich , the Middle and lower classes or most of the people who live along the PATH corridors take the PATH over a cab. Its only 2$ vs 30$...they have countdown clocks in the stations... Once in Hoboken or JC many at night switch to cabs which park outside the stations... How many times have you used the PATH in general? I use it 4x a week during the day and 2x usually late night...

Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yes , or the super rich , the Middle and lower classes or most of the people who live along the PATH corridors take the PATH over a cab. Its only 2$ vs 30$...they have countdown clocks in the stations... Once in Hoboken or JC many at night switch to cabs which park outside the stations... How many times have you used the PATH in general? I use it 4x a week during the day and 2x usually late night...
This is starting to get a little ridiculous seeing as how this is the Lehigh Valley board. I went to Lehigh and I like the area so I occasionally stop by here. I've lived in either Manhattan, or, mostly Hoboken, since I graduated from college.

It helps to have the social intelligence to follow a conversation rather than just throwing opinions out there. Otherwise you aren't helping anyone. Common sense should tell you that anyone who is talking about getting a hotel room in Hoboken or Jersey city is not staying overnight from the Lehigh Valley to go to their hotel at 11 p.m. The PATH trains are way more erratic late at night, and I can assure you that over the years I've taken it at 2 or 3 or even 4 a.m. probably 100 times more often than you have.

Congratulations on knowing the difference between the cost of the PATH and the cost of a cab ride though. That's really relevant to the fact that it can be very unpleasant to wait for the PATH late at night, which was, quite obviously, the only pertinent information for the people here.

My apologies to the LV peeps for this bit of silliness, I just don't want you to get saddled with bad information.

Last edited by Eephus; 06-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: an addition

Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Well the PATH is a 14 minute train ride to Hoboken. The Headway is every 15 minutes up until 1AM in the morning, then it drops to 35 minute headway through the night.

The train to Newark Penn Station is 22 minutes and $5 from midtown, with service until 1:22 AM. After that you have to take the PATH through Journal Square.

Looking at a Monday in two weeks, not taking into consideration AAA or any other discount, it seems that the W in Hoboken is not that much more than a Comfort Inn in Times Square. Parking rates are much lower and there isn't that $12 tunnel fee.

Comfort Inn Times Square West $249 = $289.23 with taxes
W Hotel Hoboken, NJ $279 = $320.85 with taxes
Hilton Newark Penn Station $175.20 = $199.73 with taxes
Comfort Suites Bergen, NJ $109.65 = $126.10 with taxes

ADDRESS
Comfort Inn Times Square West(NY464) 343 W. 44th Street New York, NY, US, 10036
Comfort Suites(NJ138) 1200 Tonnelle Ave North Bergen, NJ, US, 07047

I guess I am saying that if someone is planning to park their car in NJ, and schlep bags into NYC, they should consider upgrading their brand of hotel and stay in NJ, and schlep themself into the city.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 AM

138 posts, read 284,119 times
Quote:
My suggestion would be to just take advantage of the parking at The Cloisters. When you're done there, make the quick drive down to the Upper West Side. If you have the time or inclination, you can spend 15 minutes or so nosing around looking for a free space on the street, but I found this garage there without making any effort at all.
This is, in fact, what I did. I drove from the Cloisters down to the 125th St station and found a spot near 128th & Park within a few minutes (around noon on a Saturday). Rode up and down the 6 line all day, came back at 1am, still there, no problems. So I spent $12 to cross the GWB, maybe $5 on additional gas, and $7 on subway rides. Per-capita cost would've been much lower if I'd had anyone with me.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark Riverwalk

After looking at the options that I can easily find, this Hampton Inn looks like the best place to stay to be on a budget, and still finance a late evening in Manhattan. It's easy to drive your car there, comfortable and reasonable, with free shuttle the two miles to Newark Penn Station. From there you can get quick 24 hour service into Manhattan. You don't have to drive the Pulaski Skyway, or the Jersey Turnpike. You would be safe coming back late at night, and you can drive back to the Valley in the morning.

A few years ago, a scheduling change known as "Tuesdays at 7" took effect over most of Broadway, in the hopes of encouraging people who don't want to stay out too late to see shows on Tuesday evenings. Many shows eventually went back to the regular 8pm curtain.

The more traditional way is to take the bus in on Wednesday morning to get in the TKTS kiosk by opening at 11:30 and get tickets for a 2PM performance.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark Riverwalk

After looking at the options that I can easily find, this Hampton Inn looks like the best place to stay to be on a budget, and still finance a late evening in Manhattan. It's easy to drive your car there, comfortable and reasonable, with free shuttle the two miles to Newark Penn Station. From there you can get quick 24 hour service into Manhattan. You don't have to drive the Pulaski Skyway, or the Jersey Turnpike. You would be safe coming back late at night, and you can drive back to the Valley in the morning.

A few years ago, a scheduling change known as "Tuesdays at 7" took effect over most of Broadway, in the hopes of encouraging people who don't want to stay out too late to see shows on Tuesday evenings. Many shows eventually went back to the regular 8pm curtain.

The more traditional way is to take the bus in on Wednesday morning to get in the TKTS kiosk by opening at 11:30 and get tickets for a 2PM performance.
Thats Actually Harrison and not Newark....

Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
I've taken the trains into NYC many times over the years, obviously you're trying to save a few bucks and I salute you

The best way in for what you are trying to do is at Summit. The station is close by route 78 and the train is a "midtown direct" meaning no transfers required. The one negative with Summit is a poor parking situation....the garage is often times full and there isn't much parking available near the station.

Another good option is Somervlle. You would have a transfer at Newark, either a PATH train or a transfer onto the Raritan Valley Line. But the good thing about this station is that there is a ton of parking availabe nearby in the Shop Rite lot. FREE! FREE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley