Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
And yet you keep coming back to the Lexington forum to blast Lexington for any reason possible.

Not for any reason possible; just those that apply to my experience and taste. And I've made that clear. Having been in Lexington recently my interest in this board was piqued.

You have such an overwrought emotional thing going on here that serious discussion with you is a waste of time. Sincerity is wasted on you. You are churlish and glory in your ignorance and openly consider an interest in art for the "ladies". You patrol the Kentucky boards like some obsessed agent of vengeance seeking those who transgress your notions of how people should think about Kentucky. Then you argue by contradiction, assertion and insults rather than with fact and persuasion. You are not to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
IrishTom, we currently live in Northern Illinois - near Lake Geneva, WI. We've been thinking of moving to the Richmond/Berea area of KY. Do you have much experience with that area?

Not much. Richmond seemed kind'a run down to me but Berea appeared prosperous and rather more liberal and diverse than other small towns in the area. We used to drive down to Berea to visit the shops and have lunch; nice enough town but I don't have a clue how it would be living there.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
IrishTom, we currently live in Northern Illinois - near Lake Geneva, WI. We've been thinking of moving to the Richmond/Berea area of KY. Do you have much experience with that area? We're not into sports (except our kids' softball team). Considering Eastern Kentucky Univ for the kids and want to move close enough so they won't have to commute. We're also looking at Tennessee (Kingsport) and South Carolina (Summerville or Upstate). Being a northerner (originally from PA), I'm afraid it's going to be a really huge change. Any comments?
I think Tom makes some valid points & observations less a stereotypical remark here & there. I moved here from N IL a long time ago. I am still around because I have added some very close friends over the years and some of my immediate family planted roots here too.

My answer to your question is that it really depends on what you are looking for and I'm not clear from that post (I haven't read your other posts) but if you want to slow down a little, moving to Richmond would be a major slow down. IMO, I think a move from your area to Richmond would be too much a change.

But if you are still interested (goes with all those places), rent for a while to see if you can hack it. Maybe come visit for a couple weeks during the time of year you think you would like the least as another check.

If you are looking @ Lexington & are hoping to get a little taste of the big city amenities minus the cost/hustle, I think you might be disappointed. Lexington is a nice place & beats a lot of other cities similar in size but it's by no means "big city light."

Personally, I don't think I would consider living anywhere in KY except the metro areas. Not saying Berea doesn't have charm but I just couldn't hack the smallness day in and day out.

And the South can be hit or miss, it's not for every Northerner. But enough seem to like it to redistribute some of the population

Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 PM

116 posts, read 212,633 times
Thanks, easydoesit. I'm not really sure what we're looking for - except a public college within driving distance for our kids. (They're currently high school sophomores, so we want to move in June.) We don't have that where we currently live. We're both tired of the frigid winters, but I don't think I could go to the extreme of not having the four seasons. My first choice would be to move back home to PA, but the cost of living has escalated so much since we've lived there - don't think we could afford it. We'll make another trip next month. Hopefully, something will "pop" for me. I'm just not good at "change" - makes me nervous.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 AM

You get 4 seasons here

Summer and winter are just long enough to get annoyed by the cold/warm but not bad compared to further up north

Not a lot of snow

Maybe more overcast than you would think during the winter but warmer

Spring and fall are great, esp October

Just my thinking - when it comes to buying outside of Lexington, I don't get it unless you are shooting for bigger lots or a more rural setting. Lexington is really not expensive and the public schools are good so why not just live in Lexington? It's not like deciding between Manhattan and Yonkers where you can really find huge price differences.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 AM

116 posts, read 212,633 times
We really did want the larger lot. The homes in Lexington had less than a 7500 sf lot. We're coming from 2 acres. We don't want 2 acres again (too much yard work), but we want something about the size of 1/3 to 1/2 acre. I know we won't get that in Lexington. I didn't see that in Georgetown either. We'll keep looking around Richmond. I think the Madison County high schools were okay - maybe not so large as Lexington or Scott County, which is fine. Also EKU is right there in Richmond. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM

You can get that in some of the old but nice neighborhoods in Lexington

Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You argue ad hominem. The points I've made about the failings of Lexington are IMO valid. If you want to argue those points do so. Failing to do so you attack my personality and even if your views of my personality are valid they have nothing to do with Lexington. Twice in this thread you've attacked me personally without rebutting my opinions on the faults of Lexington. I must assume you are unable to.

Calls for "constructive" criticism are often disguised callings for no criticism. If you don't want to read criticisms of Lexington I suggest you avoid threads titled "Tired of Lexington".
You come to this board posting sweeping generalizations based on stereotypes of Kentuckians being a bunch of bible thumping, smoking, inbred rednecks and expect people to dispute your claims tit for tat? You make a few good points, but they are outnumbered and overshadowed by troll like rants. It isn't worth it, hopefully people with half a brain see through it and look to the more rational posts.

Lexington isn't perfect but it is a nice place to live if a person is looking for a small-medium sized city. I lived there for 7 years. It isn't Chicago, for all the good and bad that entails. I really like Chicago, I've been there 3 times, it is a great place to visit, however, I wouldn't want to live there. There are countless places all around the country full of perfectly nice people that simply aren't my cup of tea.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not for any reason possible; just those that apply to my experience and taste. And I've made that clear. Having been in Lexington recently my interest in this board was piqued.

You have such an overwrought emotional thing going on here that serious discussion with you is a waste of time. Sincerity is wasted on you. You are churlish and glory in your ignorance and openly consider an interest in art for the "ladies". You patrol the Kentucky boards like some obsessed agent of vengeance seeking those who transgress your notions of how people should think about Kentucky. Then you argue by contradiction, assertion and insults rather than with fact and persuasion. You are not to be taken seriously.
Umm ok. Try to stay calm.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
bennettj-actually the Lakeview area has lots ranging from nearly 1/2 acre to one acre. There is a house on the market currently that is 6 bedrooms, 3 baths on an acre lot for $299,000. It's on Blairmore Ct. which is in the Cassidy/Morton/Henry Clay school district. It probably needs updates but just wanted to let you know large lots are possible in a good school district in Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area