Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 37,668 times

Advertisements

Who thinks Lexington is a great place to live? Who thinks Lexington is a bad place to live? Why do you think so? What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:20 PM

145 posts, read 518,537 times
I think lexington is a wonderful place to live. I have been all over the country and the beauty of the surrounding area is second to none. I can't wait to hear the louisville crowd come on here and bash it for whatever reason but they can name any park in louisville they want and I would just pont them in the direction of keeneland and down versailles road. Its a laid back city that certainly is a college town but quite a few college towns made this years top ten list of cities to live in i.e. madison wisconsin. I am from northern kentucky and love it there but I fell in love with lexington in college, moved away and when I returned to kentucky this felt like home. I don't know where census whatever his name is went to school growing up to get such a disdain for it here but I nor any of my friends have ever encountered the "rudeness" you describe here. The fact that you mentioned in another thread how tough it was on you in my mind makes it hard for me to take what you say seriously as you seem bitter. Louisville is nice but to me it is just like any other larger city, there isn't really that much to distinguish it from any other. Say what you want but lexington is different in look. As for those that say there is nothing to do I find that hard to understand...I doubt UK would do so well if its students were all bored to death. There are bad parts as well...the traffic is horrible for a city its size, the north end of town isnt the best to look at and there aren't many bike trails but when the pros and cons are weighed it is a pretty great place to live.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatroper View Post
Who thinks Lexington is a great place to live? Who thinks Lexington is a bad place to live? Why do you think so? What is your opinion?
It's a great place to live. I don't live there, but I'm there enough to know the city very well. Here's some reasons why:

-Scenery - horse farms everywhere
-Good hospitals
-Good colleges - UK, Transylvania
-Good schools
-Very clean
-Friendly people

Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I like to visit; I live in one of its exurbs only 25-30 miles away. In fact, I was just there tonight hanging out with friends. But I wouldn't live there--unless my plans to move to TX or Chicago completely panned out, I was desperate for a job and had no choice but to stay in KY (yuck!) Anyhow, I'll give the perks and cons of the place.

Perks:
  • Nice scenery
  • Low crime rate
  • Great architecture that is distinctive to central KY
  • University of Kentucky (okay, so I'm a UofL grad, but I'll concede that UK is a great school)
  • Transylvania University is the first private college founded west of the Allegheny Mountains.
  • Clean city, you'd be hard pressed to even find litter or graffiti (although some graffiti does exist on the northside and near UK's campus)
  • Some great private schools (i.e. Lex. Christian, Sayre, LexCath)
  • One of America's highest-educated population bases (something like 38% of residents have a Bachelor's degree or higher)

Cons:
  • Unjustifiable sense of snoot and entitlement among many of its people, especially the women age 18-35. Funny, since there are a lot of country-type transplants that try to flout their credit-accrued "wealth" (I'm not joking, either) but not nearly as many truly wealthy people.
  • Whack-job road system that has been antiquated since 1989. For example, New Circle, the beltine, is only FOUR LANES!!! It should've been widened to 8-10 lanes, like, ten years ago.
  • Weak job market. Don't let the Lexington "positivists" fool you, it's hard to find a good-paying job in this region, much less the entire state.
  • Crappy public schools w/ exception maybe of Dunbar and Lafayette HS. (The only truly good public systems in KY can be found in pockets of western and northern KY and Louisville.)
  • The only decent news broadcast is WKYT-TV News
  • I-64 and I-75 bypass the city rather than proceed through like interstates do in normal cities
  • Quite a few rednecks still live in the city and they're usually quite annoying and don't always have very good manners (I used to hang around rednecks, I found out.)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-19-2008 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Like to visit, but wouldn't live there. I'll give the perks and cons of the place.

Perks:
-Nice scenery
-Great architecture except in pockets of Lexington's eastside
-University of Kentucky (okay, so I'm a UofL grad, but I'll concede that UK is a great school)
-Clean city
-Some great private schools (i.e. LCA, Sayre, LexCath)
-One of America's highest-educated population bases (something like 38% of residents have a Bachelor's degree or higher)

Cons:
-Unjustifiable sense of snoot and entitlement among many of its people. Funny, since there are a lot of country-type transplants that try to flout their credit-accrued "wealth." (I'm not joking, either.)
-Whack-job road system that has been antiquated since 1989. For example, New Circle, the beltine, is only FOUR LANES!!! It should've been widened to 8-10 lanes, like, ten years ago.
-Weak job market (don't let the Lexington "positivists" fool you, it's hard to find a good-paying job in this region, much less the entire state)
-Crappy public schools w/ exception of Dunbar and Lafayette HS
-The only decent news broadcast is WKYT-TV News
-I-64 and I-75 bypass the city rather than proceed through like interstates do in normal cities
-Quite a few rednecks live there, still
Where do you all find these "snooty" people. I'm not originally from Lexington and when I first came here I never experienced it and still haven't. Thats including going to keeneland every fall and spring. It sounds like you all are just looking for something bad to say. Give me an example of how people are snooty to you so at least I can understand what you are talking about. Some of the posters on here come off as snooty at times as well..."people from the east end of Louisville are rude" I believe that was missymom..that sounds a littly uppity and snooty to me like her end of town is better. I know she probably doesn't really think that but it can come off that way so why judge people you don't even know. Are they snooty because they like their city? Seriously where are these people because I haven't met them yet. If you want to find snooty people go to owensboro...I've never met more people arrogant about their city for no good reason than that place. Funny thing is time has pased it by and no one does a thing to try and catch up.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I like to visit; I live in one of its exurbs only 25-30 miles away. In fact, I was just there tonight hanging out with friends. But I wouldn't live there--unless my plans to move to TX or Chicago completely panned out, I was desperate for a job and had no choice but to stay in KY (yuck!) Anyhow, I'll give the perks and cons of the place.[*]Quite a few rednecks still live in the city and they're usually quite annoying and don't always have very good manners (I used to hang around rednecks, I found out.)[/list]
For someone who calls themselves "friendly" and "nice guy" you sure are judgemental.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Where do you all find these "snooty" people.
Sayre families and the Sayre administration board. They're some of the rudest people I've ever met. Thank god I just have to finish senior year and then it's off to college! The education I've received there was great (k-12), but I would never surround myself with some of the people I've met there, had I had the choice. Ok enough venting now.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Where do you all find these "snooty" people. I'm not originally from Lexington and when I first came here I never experienced it and still haven't. Thats including going to keeneland every fall and spring. It sounds like you all are just looking for something bad to say. Give me an example of how people are snooty to you so at least I can understand what you are talking about. Some of the posters on here come off as snooty at times as well..."people from the east end of Louisville are rude" I believe that was missymom..that sounds a littly uppity and snooty to me like her end of town is better. I know she probably doesn't really think that but it can come off that way so why judge people you don't even know. Are they snooty because they like their city? Seriously where are these people because I haven't met them yet. If you want to find snooty people go to owensboro...I've never met more people arrogant about their city for no good reason than that place. Funny thing is time has pased it by and no one does a thing to try and catch up.
I don't believe I said that all people in the east end are rude, I said the ones I had met are and I have also admitted in another post that I was wrong, I met many friendly people there over the weekend. I can admit it when I am proven wrong Sorry if I came off as "snooty"

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM

So the people at Sayre are snooty....that encompasses maybe .0005 percent of lexington....people must constantly be running into them for this reputation to have taken root. I could care less about what people think about this city...I didn't grow up here, I just live here now and frankly have no horse in the race but I do think it is humerous when people make accusations without any examples. Lexington is a great town...when someone thinks of kentucky around the country they think horses, UK basketball, horsefarms, Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve....all of which come from lexington. The image of this state comes from this city...it's the heart of the state...just look at the interstate system...they all go through Lexington. The only thing I can think of that is exclusively louisville is Churchill downs and from visiting it the very next thing I think of when I think of chuchill downs is the ghetto....I can't believe the city let such a huge part of the city and state be encircled by a slummy area of town. That is a great picture for first time visitors of the state to see when they go to the kentucky derby....the slums of kentucky. I wish it looked like Keeneland.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Lexington is nice. Big enough to have some good bookstores, OK restaurants and other places to go but not so big as to be a hassle. Very easy to get around if you use a car. Nice, I think that sums the town up.

I get tired of all this UK sports and "go Blue" business but nobody put a pistol to my head and made me move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area