Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:31 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips STX. I'll be in Louisville tomorrow, maybe I'll check one out if I can get my Dad to go somewhere besides O' Charleys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:56 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
You have to be really into pizza to know the different styles! I have learned alot y'all!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Our pleasure Missy.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
You have to be really into pizza to know the different styles! I have learned alot y'all!
Any time. There is even a Louisville style...if I can educate a few more folks out your way Missy, maybe you guys will be able to convince more nice restaurants to locate in PRP! Given the income in that area, it is ashame the only options are places like Applebee's in SW County.

Try looking to LouisvilleHotBytes.com and their forum. The forum is a true jewel. I travel often and have never seen a city this size with such a large foodie community and their own very active web board.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Any time. There is even a Louisville style...if I can educate a few more folks out your way Missy, maybe you guys will be able to convince more nice restaurants to locate in PRP! Given the income in that area, it is ashame the only options are places like Applebee's in SW County.

Try looking to LouisvilleHotBytes.com and their forum. The forum is a true jewel. I travel often and have never seen a city this size with such a large foodie community and their own very active web board.
Anyone know anything about Bonnie and Clyde's on Dixie? I haven't been in YEARS and wonder if it is still good. We also have a couple Bearnos and a Wicks as far as Pizza goes. I have noticed that around here fried chicken, steak and buffets are most popular as far as restaurants. I would LOVE a Chic-fil-A for a fast food and something Indian for sit down myself.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
I didn't know there were so many Chicago expats living in Lexington! Yeah...unless you've had Chicago style pizza and dogs, you don't know, and no chain can replicate that, unless it started as a mom and pop deal in Chi town and retained it's quality. You just gotta make the drive or flight back home to get the real deal....unless a bunch of us band together to open a joint. And yeah....vienna franks RULE!!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I didn't know there were so many Chicago expats living in Lexington! Yeah...unless you've had Chicago style pizza and dogs, you don't know, and no chain can replicate that, unless it started as a mom and pop deal in Chi town and retained it's quality. You just gotta make the drive or flight back home to get the real deal....unless a bunch of us band together to open a joint. And yeah....vienna franks RULE!!
Vienna beef dogs are found in several spots in Louisville.....

Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Vienna beef dogs are found in several spots in Louisville.....
Are they served with the poppy seed hot dog buns and the sweet relish? You gotta have all the fixins, ya know.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Are they served with the poppy seed hot dog buns and the sweet relish? You gotta have all the fixins, ya know.
Of course! Louisville gains more residents from Chicago and Cleveland than any other cities, so much of those two cities culinary favorites thrive here. Try Lonnnie's best taste of chicago in St Matthews first. It really is as good as almost any Chicago stand (I am partial to the craziness at Weinerville Circle though!!!). This review is 5 years old but still accurate:

Robin Garr's Louisville Restaurant Guide / Lonnie's Best Taste of Chicago

Since then Binky's has closed and there are many new dog players on the field. KC's taste of Chicago is good too.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:54 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, I'm going up last week in July.

Portillo's beef is good and I don't think anyone does a better hot-dog. I remember when he had a little wagon, now he's big-time.

I had a pizza from Donato's again tonight; thin crispy crust cut in squares, just like in the old neighborhood. Sauce was tasty with a bite and the cheese and sausage used were OK. Not bad, not bad at all. Best pizza I've had in Lexington.

Regards
I will have to try Donatos next time I am in Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area