Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie861 View Post
thanks so much.. Again, all comments are greatly appreciated.

Sam- good thoughts about the 6 mos lease... Ideally, I'd like to purchase a home, but it's going to have to happen after I sell my Ohio house. So a 6 mos lease might be the right thing to do anyhow.

Am I correct in guessing the Hillcrest/ Heights area is in Zip codes:

I'm trying to map out/ search for Hillcrest and Riverdale.. but maps don't label the area neighborhoods.. so it's sorta just a guessimate on my part.
Heights is mostly 72207...I guess all of it is 72207. The Heights is really an area that I would say runs from about Kavanaugh and Van Buren north, then about the top of Cantrell Hill at Edghill west to .. well, University at least. It sort of squiggles and turns through there...what is on the west side of Kavanaugh at the beginning is considered Prospect Terrace. It gets kind of confusing...I'll try to import a map and see if I can do an outline of several of the different areas (unless one of my compadres would like to do that before tonight, hint, hint???).

Riverdale...I'm even less clear on that set of landmarks...but maybe on the north side of Cantrell Rd. from about ... ummm....the 2600 block west to about Lilac and everything north from Cantrell? I think that is 72202, not sure. The 05 zip code does go through parts of Hillcrest, you just have to be careful. Don't go south of I-630. Hillcrest would be from about Pine or Cedar north to Kavanaugh and with a few streets above Kavanaugh at around Cedar Hill, and west to University, more or less. That's actually a lot more than Hillcrest, but the boundaries seem to have switched.

72207 is more Prospect Terrace west into Leawood, etc. Oh - you don't know where Leawood is - so that doesn't help! Starts at Mississippi and goes west to the reservoir and a little beyond, on the south side of Cantrell.

Does anyone know of a good neighborhood map online? I don't know that I've ever seen one.

Josie, by the way - your baseline roads in Little Rock are Markham and Main - the numbers pretty much run off of those until you get into the weird numbered houses back in the subdivisions. University is the 6000 block west that sort of is the E/W dividing line and runs north and south; Markham runs east and west.

If anyone wanted to do a grid with main roads and block numbers, I'd surely be glad to post it into a sticky for future residents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
When I was last in Little Rock driving around getting lost I stumbled onto an interesting area that i thought was Riverdale, but I guess it's not?

It's a little turnoff from Cantrell about 1/4 of a mile southeast of Riverfront Drive, consisting of Branch Drive, Coolwood , and Terrace St.
Is this in a particular neighborhood?
It felt like a quiet little refuge really close in, but where was I?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 69,643 times
Oh goodness a map that outlined the neighborhoods would be a god send to me.. That's the one thing I can't seem to find online.

and Ira.. Hmm.. I don't know where you were.. lol

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
When I was last in Little Rock driving around getting lost I stumbled onto an interesting area that i thought was Riverdale, but I guess it's not?

It's a little turnoff from Cantrell about 1/4 of a mile southeast of Riverfront Drive, consisting of Branch Drive, Coolwood , and Terrace St.
Is this in a particular neighborhood?
It felt like a quiet little refuge really close in, but where was I?
Uniquely enough, I believe that area is known as Coolwood...but most people just know it as "that neighborhood across from Cajun's"! It's a nice little area that at one time started almost to fall to people moving out of town...now it's been reclaimed and is on the way back up. Those of us from Little Rock from way back - well, you gotta know we are LOVING this!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Thanks! Glad to know things are cool in Coolwood. I explored a fair amount in LR, and Coolwood was just different. Sort of a nice 50's suburban look, nicely maintained houses, but clearly not in the suburbs, and really close to everything.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 48,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

If anyone wanted to do a grid with main roads and block numbers, I'd surely be glad to post it into a sticky for future residents!
You could use Google Earth and just zoom in and out to your hearts content. The street names may not be clear in the attachment but I'll upload it anyway because you can use a simple graphical application (e.g. any native Windows photo/paint program) to zoom in for clarity.

I am new to the area so the "whole" Heights is not included but it should give you an indication of what you can do with Google Earth.
Attached Thumbnails
Little Rock- Renting- what area?-heights3.jpg  

Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelor View Post
You could use Google Earth and just zoom in and out to your hearts content. The street names may not be clear in the attachment but I'll upload it anyway because you can use a simple graphical application (e.g. any native Windows photo/paint program) to zoom in for clarity.

I am new to the area so the "whole" Heights is not included but it should give you an indication of what you can do with Google Earth.
Little Rock also has Google Streetview if you are interested.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Josie, I kind of threw you together a couple of maps...I hope these help. These don't list every single street or subdivision, but they will give you a good idea of how to start zooming in on where you want to be. Of course, we are all here to help in any way we can!

Markham is your baseline street that runs east and west, Main is your baseline that runs north and south. The main streets outside of downtown that run north and south that are good for reference points are Woodrow (about the 2100 block west, or 21 blocks west of main), Pine, Van Buren on the north side of Markham/Fair Park on the south side is the 5000 block west, University is the 6000 block west, Mississippi, Rodney Parham, Shackleford. Past that I get lost! Going north to south, use Cantrell, Markham, I-630, and 12th St. That should get you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

I used this map as my reference. You can zoom in on it to get more specific info.
http://www.littlerock.org/Images/UserFiles/PDF/StatisticsReports/NEIGHBORHOOD_ACTION_PLANS.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps a little - there are lots of other areas not listed, like Cliffwoood, Kingwood, Prospect Terrace, etc...but ask and we will surely try to point you in the right direction!
Attached Thumbnails
Little Rock- Renting- what area?-overview-midtown.jpg   Little Rock- Renting- what area?-neighborhoods.jpg  

Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 69,643 times
You all are awesome! Thank you Prelor, I'd forgotten about Google Earth- great tool!!

SamIAm-- Holy Bat Shoes! That reference map is awesome... and your cuts are perfect.. This will help loads in trying to ID apartments/ houses.. I Can't thank you enough.. btw-- that source map would be a great sticky if it's allowed.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM

38 posts, read 197,796 times
NO! to Valley Heights on Cantrell. I used to live in the neighborhood right behind it and it has lots of issues. Noise, police were there regularly, people fighting late at night. It was so bad our neighborhood association called a meeting with the LRPD to get them to address those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area