Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSpies View Post
As backtotx has already suggested, this is certainly not the case. There are more black people in Chicago than white people, for example. And yes, a very large Polish population as well. Lot of people from Eastern Europe in general. And Mexico. But you certainly feel like youre in America when youre in Chicago. Most everybody speaks English, for example. There are some areas with a large Spanish speaking population, but I dont mind Spanish. And most of these people speak English anyway.

On the other hand, London most certainly does not feel like England. Depending where you are in the city, it feels more like Krakow, Riyadh, Kingston, or Delhi. This is just a fact.
No, it is not a fact, it is your opinion. You don't like London or the UK. Fine, your choice. But come on, you can't make a post like that and be offended when people disagree.

And you didn't answer my question of why you stayed for three years in such a **** hole

Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 PM

15 posts, read 140,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
No, it is not a fact, it is your opinion. You don't like London or the UK. Fine, your choice. But come on, you can't make a post like that and be offended when people disagree.

And you didn't answer my question of why you stayed for three years in such a **** hole
I dont have a problem with people who think London is great. But theres no need to then turn these into personal insults (e.g. "I can only assume that you are trying to dispel the myth of Americans not having a well developed sense of humour").

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I dont like London. If you like London, thats great. I dont care. Feel free to say so. But theres no reason to then add "youre a big poo poo head". Reasonable people should be able to disagree about the relative merits of a particular city without resorting to childish name calling.

I offered what I feel is impartial and educated advice for Americans who want to come to London. Ive lived in a few different cities throughout the world and in my opinion, London is hugely, massively, collossally bad and should be avoided at all costs. Most of the people Ive talked to in London agree with these sentiments. People from Western Europe and Australia, anyway. I dont know any Americans who live here (not as students, which dont count...obviously a different experience than people who work here).

People Ive talked to from Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, South America, etc often say they like the city but consider where they come from. Indoor plumbing is a novelty for many of these people.

If you really want a reply to your question (for reasons that escape me) then fine. I dont leave because I dont have the money to do so. If I had the money, I'd go back to the US tomorrow. Ive been doing a string of temp jobs well below my qualifications since coming to London and Im not working at the moment. So its difficult to save up.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:33 PM

92 posts, read 321,723 times
Quote:
I dont have a problem with people who think London is great. But theres no need to then turn these into personal insults (e.g. "I can only assume that you are trying to dispel the myth of Americans not having a well developed sense of humour").

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I dont like London. If you like London, thats great. I dont care. Feel free to say so. But theres no reason to then add "youre a big poo poo head". Reasonable people should be able to disagree about the relative merits of a particular city without resorting to childish name calling.

I offered what I feel is impartial and educated advice for Americans who want to come to London. Ive lived in a few different cities throughout the world and in my opinion, London is hugely, massively, collossally bad and should be avoided at all costs. Most of the people Ive talked to in London agree with these sentiments. People from Western Europe and Australia, anyway. I dont know any Americans who live here (not as students, which dont count...obviously a different experience than people who work here).

People Ive talked to from Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, South America, etc often say they like the city but consider where they come from. Indoor plumbing is a novelty for many of these people.

If you really want a reply to your question (for reasons that escape me) then fine. I dont leave because I dont have the money to do so. If I had the money, I'd go back to the US tomorrow. Ive been doing a string of temp jobs well below my qualifications since coming to London and Im not working at the moment. So its difficult to save up.
could you please specify what area you live in exactly and what line of work you are in...i am kind of interested. everyone i have spoken to who works here (from the states) loves it granted they didn't move here expecting to find a job that covers their living costs. they already had a job lined up that allows them to live in london central and therefore allows them to take advantage of everything the city has to offer.

if you don't have money and come here expecting to find a job that allows you to live comfortably (i know allot of australians that do this) you will most likely be living amidst some hideous post-war developments in Kilburn, Harlesdon or Gospel Oak that house the not so well off...somewhere that is devoid of any culture and or quality of life. the same thing applies to NYC...allot of people DO live in the NYC or London people envision yet you cannot possibly think all of NYC is like Manhattan or that all of London is like Zone 1...that is an unrealistic expectation.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:04 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times
Quote:

I fail to see the relevance of the constant comparisons between London and New York. I havent lived in New York and I dont care about New York.

You don't see the relevance of comparing London to New York? Really?

That surprises me. You claim to be trying to make an 'objective' review of London, and yet you are not comparing a like city to like city. You are comparing apples to peanuts. It makes little sense and shows that objectivity is actually not high on your list after all.

Honestly whenever I see a post like yours which basically says that EVERYTHING about a place is bad, I tend to think that said person has an agenda.

It seems that you are unable to accept that you did insufficient research when you made your move. Like many big cities, it is not fun if you have no money and no decent place to live. I don't see how this would be surprising.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,464 times
Quote:

I offered what I feel is impartial and educated advice for Americans who want to come to London. Ive lived in a few different cities throughout the world and in my opinion, London is hugely, massively, collossally bad and should be avoided at all costs. Most of the people Ive talked to in London agree with these sentiments.

I'm sorry, but I would urge any Americans seriously considering moving to London take these comments with one absolutely huge grain of salt. Life is what you make it and as others on this thread have already said the OP has offered up no evidence whatsoever to provide context to his biased views, despite questions from other posters requesting clarification.

Almost every American in a position to move to London will have an offer of a good job in order to get a visa, and any position that would offer this kind of opportunity would pay sufficiently well to keep them well away from the lower-income areas that are being described (and which could apply to almost every city in the U.S. too).

London is a wonderful city in which to live, work and play. It is highly attractive and there are practically no limits to the leisure possibilities. It also makes a great base for European travel, with low-cost airlines offering flights to dozens of countries making weekends away easy and cheap.

Back to London - there are countless areas on all sides that are quiet, clean, safe and relatively crime-free and with easy transport connections into town.

The only thing I would take from the OP's post is that if you have little money or career/life skills then you may make a more comfortable life for yourself in a more rural area - in any country.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:48 PM

15 posts, read 140,378 times
If you like London, what do I care? I dont have a vendetta against the city. Who has vendettas against cities? I gave an unbiased assessment of the place.

For the final time, I do not know anything about New York and I dont care about New York. Its totally irrelevant to discuss it in a thread about London.

I have lived in Chicago, Providence, Helsinki, and Dublin. These are major cities. New York and London are not the only two major cities in the world. I had the same skills and experiences in all of those places. But only in London have I been forced to live like an animal and endure all the other **** that I've BRIEFLY described.

Therefore, I suggest that any American with dreams of moving to London to look elsewhere. This isnt outrageous or something to take personally. If people want to see for themselves how good or bad it is, thats their business. Doesnt affect me. I just thought maybe somebody could get some use out of this information.

And my experiences in London are far from unique. Most people Ive encountered from modern countries agree that London is beyond awful.

Obviously, if you have a fantastic job certain aspects will be better. I said this in my first post (though it doesnt even need saying...of course having money solves many problems).

But there a lot of young people in America who think it would be fun and exciting to come to London. Ive read such things on numerous message boards and Ive met some people like this in person. A lot come here without visas even and end up looking for cash in hand jobs. God knows how horrendous their experiences are. They probably end up turning tricks for sandwiches.

The typical American's ideal of London is GROSSLY inaccurate. And to say "oh no, its a fantastic place if you have a lot of money" does them no service. ANYWHERE is fantastic if you have a lot of money.

The fact that I had a nice life in Chicago, Rhode Island, Dublin, and Helsinki, but most certainly not London says something about the city. Its extremely difficult to find decent work here and virtually impossible to find decent accomodation. Then all the other problems I mentioned. These are problems which dont exist in the other places I mentioned. Certainly not to the degree they do in London, anyway.

Feel free to take this with a boulder-sized piece of salt, though. Indeed, I encourage you to take it with a piece of salt at least that size.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times
Londoners and English in general are very rude rather then move to the side so you can get by they will walk on the street or push you over. They are all ways in a hurry to get on the subway even though it comes every minute. They do not hold doors for you. Nobody says hello,please,thank you NOTHING!.

And do not get me started on those cameras. Those things scared the hell out of me. Atleast in America they make them so you do not notice your being watched.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times
Quote:
If you like London, what do I care? I dont have a vendetta against the city. Who has vendettas against cities? I gave an unbiased assessment of the place.

For the final time, I do not know anything about New York and I dont care about New York. Its totally irrelevant to discuss it in a thread about London.

I have lived in Chicago, Providence, Helsinki, and Dublin. These are major cities. New York and London are not the only two major cities in the world. I had the same skills and experiences in all of those places. But only in London have I been forced to live like an animal and endure all the other **** that I've BRIEFLY described.

I would say that your review is anything but unbiased. Actually it couldn't be more biased. I suspect that you are nothing more than a troll looking to get a rise.

There is no way someone with a shred of ability can work somewhere for 3 years and not make enough money for a ticket to Finland or the US.

Your story does not ring true.
I lived in London when I had just left college and was doing my very first (and therefor lowest paid) job. I never experienced anything like the conditions that you describe.

To me it sounds like you have failed miserably to make a go of it and get a half decent job, so you are bitter.

I feel bad for you, it must be awful to fail for 3 years, but if all you do is complain and can't even scrape together the money you need for a plane ticket out of London, then I would strongly suggest that the problem is less London, and more about you.

My advice is to quit whining and complaining and either train to do a job that will pay you enough to live better where you are, or step up and leave. I am sure the attitude you take around with you does not endear you to the locals. Perhaps that is why you find Brits rude? Honestly I can't imagine many people would want to hang out with you and hear nothing but how awful everything is.

Have you ever noticed that you get back what you put in to a place or situation?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM

85 posts, read 283,763 times
augustspies you are not right on a lot of counts, your view is blinkered. it is not good to attack people the way you have i suggest you go home to Finland, you can hitch hike on one of the lorries that cross the channel! always do your homework, oh look its sunny outside!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Londoners and English in general are very rude rather then move to the side so you can get by they will walk on the street or push you over.
We don't do this in general - just to you.
We laugh about it in the pub afterwards. It's a sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London