Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 AM

715 posts, read 2,089,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
ummm...you just described most big cities in the U.S. as well. how can you compare a densely populated city of 8 million to any old town in the U.S.? London is actually quite clean in my opinion. there are no bins anywhere (to prevent people from putting bombs in them) but they have those street cleaners who i think do a wonderful job. there are bins every couple of meters in NYC yet it seems like the place is filthy. it is funny how the native brits b*tch about London's problems and then tourists come and they actually praise how the city is run. the city is clean compared to most, the transport is idiot proof and very user friendly (try using the subway in NYC), yes there are allot of immigrants (and not the kind that are law abiding or come here with respectable jobs lined up) but that is mostly the Labour governments fault (pandering to your electorate anyone)?
The city is clean??

Ermm, you do know the city goes far beyond the city of westminster right?
You go to any part of east london like east ham, and then finchley (north london) and then you got shepherds bush (west london) and then places like chelsea (yuppie town) its all littered with dirt and trash everywhere. The only place i see get constant attention is places like piccadilly circus and oxford street, even their pavements are highly stained with dirt and chewing gum ... YUKKKK

Old 05-20-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
did she work in the public sector in London...if that was the case then your story does not surprise me.
We have had friends who also have worked in the private sector and that didnt fare any better. I know, because i run a recruitment company and plucked those same poor individuals out of their missery to work and live here in the US instead. Results are universally the same... Amazing!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 AM

493 posts, read 1,763,988 times
Graciejj - how long have you lived in the US?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:16 AM

6 posts, read 19,222 times
Though I have not experienced some of the stuff AugestSpies has like the whole bedroom and agencies thing, I do agree with him on what has said, I have lived here my entire life and to be honest I can't wait to leave here because of the housing costs, rising food prices, crappy roads ( I am going on a bike ride and because the roads are so small, I am forced to ride on the pavement, and being caught on pavement will earn me a £30 fine so where the hell am I supposed to go), rude people, crappy weather, taxes, dumb laws and all the bloody CCTV, speed cameras and stabbings I can go on and on.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
Graciejj - how long have you lived in the US?
Post 57, read it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena View Post
Though I have not experienced some of the stuff AugestSpies has like the whole bedroom and agencies thing, I do agree with him on what has said, I have lived here my entire life and to be honest I can't wait to leave here because of the housing costs, rising food prices, crappy roads ( I am going on a bike ride and because the roads are so small, I am forced to ride on the pavement, and being caught on pavement will earn me a £30 fine so where the hell am I supposed to go), rude people, crappy weather, taxes, dumb laws and all the bloody CCTV and speed cameras I can go on and on.
Indeed, ever since the last colonies vanquished, britland had to look inwards to sustain itself. Im glad i jacked out of the sinking ship when i did..

Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,859,361 times
The expensive areas in London have now been taken over by Arabs. They now own a significant portion of the real estate in the heart of London and hampstead etc. The hospitals in the heart of London have signs in English and Arabic. London is a huge city and yes it is filthy. My cous8in is a health inspector and he sees filth that cannot be described on here. Food shops with decaying food stored with the food that is put out for sale etc. I wish all Americans could come over and sample real UK life. Not the tourist or temporary worker life. There is a true underbelly of hatred now in the UK. Maybe all the IRA and other wars and terrorist activity and immigration has made us hard but the UK is now the land of "the quick or the dead" Dog eat Dog should now be our catchphrase.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 19,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
London is a huge city and yes it is filthy. My cous8in is a health inspector and he sees filth that cannot be described on here.
Agreed.

Quote:
Food shops with decaying food stored with the food that is put out for sale etc.
Shops like tesco?, I remember there was a documentary on BBC on how shops like Tesco would sell outdated fish and meat, they were caught on camera saying cross that date out and put a new date on.

Quote:
I wish all Americans could come over and sample real UK life. Not the tourist or temporary worker life.
Even on holiday, they can experience real life here, my cousin came here last year for the summer and he was shocked on how rude people were, how expensive it was, the stabbings and shootings, how dirty the street was and the rain.

Quote:
There is a true underbelly of hatred now in the UK. Maybe all the IRA and other wars and terrorist activity and immigration has made us hard but the UK is now the land of "the quick or the dead" Dog eat Dog should now be our catchphrase.
Agreed.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,229,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
We have had friends who also have worked in the private sector and that didnt fare any better. I know, because i run a recruitment company and plucked those same poor individuals out of their missery to work and live here in the US instead. Results are universally the same... Amazing!!!
Graciejj; to be comparing London to the USA so much I assume you are living in one of the major US cities like NYC? If not, then it is hardly a fair comparison.
Go spend some time living in NYC or the not so good parts of DC or Philadelphia and then compare London to those 'like for like' cities.

That is what a city IS. There are people who can afford it and live in beautiful areas with all that the city has to offer close by. Those people LOVE the city! Even some people with smaller budgets are willig to live in tiny places in order to be in a good area and enjoy everything. Then there are the people who can't afford it. Are forced to move to the undesirable areas and do nothing but moan and moan about how dreadful things are.

I see it where we live now (Philadelphia, USA). Center City Philadelphia is gorgeous, but you need to be able to afford $600,000 plus to buy a place there. In the best areas it's more like $1,000,000 plus. This is cheap by big city standards. People who can't afford it live in the surrounding parts of the city which are awful and they do nothing but say how awful Philly is. This doesn't surprise me at all. Again the solution would be to move to a suburb somewhere cheap, but no, people love to complain and talk cr*p about places.

It's a good thing you moved to somewhere you like. Good for you. At least you're not just whining whilst doing nothing about it, BUT you are not comparing like to like, and that doesn't give a fair comparison.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,859,361 times
I live in a expensive part of London. I was born in the east end of London. I have a house in the USA and have been back and forth often. Big cities anywhere have big city problems. Most big cities in the UK have more than just housing and filth problems. Attitude problem is probably the worst thing in the UK. A Brit told me here that he couldn't stand America or Americans (quite common here) I asked him what part of America he had been to? He said he had never been to America and my wife was the first American he had actually met. He said his views came from watching American tv shows. Americans are not generally liked by Brits. They may say they like you to your face but behind your back, many Brits have contempt for America and Americans. They think they are too loud, too arrogant and stupid. Probably a lot of jelousy there, but don't kid yourself that the general Brit loves Americans. When i'm in the States the reverse is true. I have never had any American treat me with anything but respect and kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London