Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,759 times

Advertisements

London is expensive cuz the poxxy employers dont want to pay skilled labor. A bus driver earns more money than an engineer or a nurse which myself and wife are respectively. Garbage men can afford to buy themselves new decent car and have a decent roof under their heads here in the states.

And so what was that about qualified and earning big bux in london??

Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The city is the only place you will find Americans lining up for a job. Otherwise forget it.
Pity your theory that only people earning derisory salaries, living in a dump are the only ones who complain about London. I have made a lot of money, live in a expensive area, have a house in Houston, and take trips all over the world. Guess what? I still think London is violent, dirty, expensive and falling apart.
A house in Houston? Isn't that one of the cheapest places to buy real estate in the US? Is this meant to prove something? Where do you live in London? Very curious to know. Because if you live in Hampstead and are complaining about it, then obviously you have standards which are higher than most British celebrities so you'll never be happy.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Brick Lane? Brick lane has an amazing Begal Shop and some good curry houses. That's it. The area is rat infested and god knows how clean the kitchens are there? Small family run restaurants are great and i didn't realise that they cooked food any differently from a big chain of restaurants. Maybe they have some hidden talent that makes their food better? who knows, but there are plenty of small family restaurants that serve limited food, badly cooked. I think the trick is to find a restaurant you like and use it.
But please don't quote Brick Lane as a centre for great food, it isn't.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM

I live in Chigwell. I also live in Houston because it's a great city. My house in Houston is beautiful and i didn't think about price when i bought it, but hey it was a snip. Maybe your nightly trips to Hampstead Heath is clouding your mind.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM

92 posts, read 321,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
A house in Houston? Isn't that one of the cheapest places to buy real estate in the US? Is this meant to prove something? Where do you live in London? Very curious to know. Because if you live in Hampstead and are complaining about it, then obviously you have standards which are higher than most British celebrities so you'll never be happy.
excellent point...where do you live in London? expensive and nice are two different things...croydon is expensive but i wouldn't call it nice!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Good point swim. My uncle lives in Hampstead, Bishops Avenue, has done for years. He says that hampstead is now becoming arab and indian owned. He loves Hampstead and thank goodness he hasn't turned into the "green wellie" brigade that seems to be infesting areas like Hampstead.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM

I had to go to croydon to get my wife's visa. You are right Croydon isn't nice.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I live in Chigwell. I also live in Houston because it's a great city. My house in Houston is beautiful and i didn't think about price when i bought it, but hey it was a snip. Maybe your nightly trips to Hampstead Heath is clouding your mind.
are you kidding me?! Chigwell is in Essex and in Zone 5 on the tube, never been there but it is supposed to be a decent area but hardly a representation of London the city...it is a suburb! Zone 1 and maybe parts of Zone 2 are what London are all about

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I had to go to croydon to get my wife's visa. You are right Croydon isn't nice.
its a dump actually! haha

Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM

I lived in Hackney most of my life. Tell me that isn't London. I moved to Chigwell a few years ago and yes it's a lovely area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London