Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times

Advertisements

My wife had to get her NI number in Croydon. Can't remember the street but it was mega busy. Lots of foreign food shops.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I lived in Hackney most of my life. Tell me that isn't London. I moved to Chigwell a few years ago and yes it's a lovely area.
Chigwell and Hackney. Ok, enough said. I understand now.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM

92 posts, read 321,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Chigwell and Hackney. Ok, enough said. I understand now.
Chigwell is a suburb that quite simply is not in London and the Borough of Hackney is frequently voted one of the worst places to live in the UK. it is for all intensive purposes a crime infested ethnic ghetto and if i was forced to live there i would be miserable too! there is an old saying...why does the regents canal run through Hackney? So it doesn't get shot! that being said...the gentrified uber-trendy areas in Shoreditch (which is barely in Hackney) have really cool (and expensive) bars.

it is seriously like saying i think NYC is dirty, crime-ridden, and has a poor quality of life and they admitting I live in the Bronx.

Last edited by swim73088; 05-20-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM

125 posts, read 426,996 times
Question I have a question...

Are people in London really all mean? Why would they be? I dont understand. If i went to London, I would probably walk around with a smile, like i do here in Indianapolis! So no one would smile back? Like say I got in their way of walking and i said sorry, no one would be like oh, its ok hun?
Someone explain this to me please. I am confused...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,835 times
Geeoro. I noticed you started an interesting thread last month. An excerpt ...

The UK ruled the world once too but also got complacent. It is now a second class country with more internal fighting than most western societies. Our prices are much higher than the US and their is a nastiness here that drives thousands upon thousands abroad. It is not with any great satisfaction that i say this about America, i love America, My wife is American but America is sick and it needs to wake up, stop thinking it will suddenly get better. It is now that Americans must decide to stop the rot. I hear so many Americans saying how much better japanese cars are than American while GM and Chrysler fall behind. At the moment America is the mightiest nation in the world. look from the outside and you will see a different story emerging.

Ok, no mention of America being dirty but not exactly the thinking of someone who is enamoured by America. And please - I lived in Houston, yes it is a good city, but you keep mentioning you have a house there, it isn't a glamourous place to own a house, its very nice, but it isn't really the be all and end all.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM

My wife is from the USA. She was actually stopped in a market by a woman who said that she knew she couldn't be English as she was smiling. Hobo, you didn't have to tell me you were from Hampstead, it was obvious.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM

I think that America IS the greatest country in the world. It has a problem now with illegal immigration and other things like a failing health service and bad economy.
The point i was making was that America must be careful NOT to fall into the same trap the UK has. It can so easliy become as jaded as the UK but i hope that doesn't happen

Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM

Why should i want to be in a "glamorous" place. I like living in a place that i like. I like Houston. We looked at Florida, where my Wife was living. North Carolina and California.
We Decided on Houston because we liked where it was, and we loved the areas around it and being close to a big cosmopolitan city. It was perfect for us. Glamour was not on our list of must haves for our home.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
excellent point...where do you live in London? expensive and nice are two different things...croydon is expensive but i wouldn't call it nice!
I don't anymore. Now we're in Philadelphia in the USA - which people also say bad things about! Go figure.

I used to live in East London in the Bow Quarter. Bow Quarter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bow, you will note, is not the best area of London by a long shot - so what did I do? I found a beautiful place to live where I could relax and feel safe.

As it was a first job and I didn't have a mega salary, I rented out the spare bedroom to a friend and lived very comfortably.

Of course the Bow Quarter is a gated community which isn't without controvesy itself:

BBC NEWS | Programmes | If | Gates and ghettoes: A tale of two Britains?

Having said that, a friend of mine bought a lovely flat also in Bow proper (not a gated community). She's currently based out of Brasil, but still owns the flat.

I have friends who own a little house in Greenwich which I absolutely love! They are looking to move into something bigger now (they've owned it several years), but want to stay in Greenwich.

My now DH had a corporate flat in Wapping which was also wonderful. Actually I rented out my Bow Quarter place as a corporate flat for several years after I moved to the States too.

I have other friends in Islington. GORGEOUS house. Fun place. They used to live in Canary Wharf which is also wonderful in a different way.

Also have several friends who live in Hampstead. I couldn't afford Hampstead back then, but would probably chose to live there if we ever went back.
Hampstead is fab, but it is expensive.

I love London and had a great time living there - even in Bow!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
My wife is from the USA. She was actually stopped in a market by a woman who said that she knew she couldn't be English as she was smiling. Hobo, you didn't have to tell me you were from Hampstead, it was obvious.
Exactly. I lived in one of the less glamourous areas and STILL found plenty about London to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London