Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,230,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I love the old fashioned feel of Texas. It feels like they still put home values first. As you said very friendly and down to earth. HOBO was looking down her nose at Houston. .
Not at all. You have been sneering at London and acting like you are some great knowledgeable and wealthy person because you have a place in London (which actually turned out not to be London at all), and in Houston where you can pick up a place for peanuts.

you CANNOT compare buying a house in Houston to buying a house in a major city.

I have nothing against Houston per sey. My DH lived there for a while and said it was alright. Nothing special. But nice to be able to buy super cheap homes. Owning a place in Houston does not however make you an expert on big cities. Sorry.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM

493 posts, read 1,764,050 times
I do think there are still some nice places in Florida. It is quite telling however, that Americans don't vacation in Orlando except to do Disney. When we lived in San Francisco it was undoubtedly an amazing city and state but it was probably the least friendly place I have ever lived. Minneapolis is one of my favourite cities here to live in. Although when I talk about living in cities, I'm referring to the burbs. I thoroughly loved living just outside of Princeton, NJ - very nice. We've also lived in Virginia and Ohio. My husband is an IT consultant which is why we have travelled so much in the US. But for livability, I don't think you can beat Texas and there are plenty of nice cities to choose from within the state.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's because i was brought up in the east end of London but i'm not into fancy over the top showy places. I like down to earth, shoot from the hip, not snobby places and people.
Honestly I have no idea what your issue is. I wouldn't call Bow an over the top 'showy' place, but perhaps we have different standards?

As for 'snobby' people. Who would you be refering to?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
I. I thoroughly loved living just outside of Princeton, NJ - very nice. .
Hey, where were you? We were just in Lambertville NJ for 6 months as my DH works just outside Princeton. Gorgeous area (so beautiful!), definitely friendly, but my DH missed the 'big city' so now we're in Philly and he commutes.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM

125 posts, read 427,348 times
Quote:
Backtot. That was exactly what i was trying to say in my previous thread. We have noticed subtle changes in the USA. Having to pay for Gas in Florida before filling up. We were told this was because too many illegals are now filling up and running off. There is definately less of an air of optimism. Having said that i still feel so uplifted in the USA. It has a huge smile about it. Let's hope, as i said before, it doesn't lose its spark and optimism.
I think about anywhere know in the US you have to pay before you fill up. There is a lot of that now. Here in Indianapolis, IN you have to do that everywhere. But when you go to my grandmothers house in Kentucky you dont have to. Its weird...

Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM

We were in Cranbury. I loved it. We were there for a little under a year. I loved being able to walk around Princeton University. Cranbury (back then) had a small town feel, well it was a small town! I once forgot to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy and later that night, the pharmacist came to my house to drop it off! The neighbourhood we lived in had street parties also. Happy Days.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,859,867 times
HoBO sorry to dissapoint you but chigwell is classed as greater London. We have a london phone code and to be honest it is a nice place to live compared to much of London. I really wouldn't put Hampstead as a area that reflects London. You must have loved London so much that you live in the USA.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
We were in Cranbury. I loved it. We were there for a little under a year. I loved being able to walk around Princeton University. Cranbury (back then) had a small town feel, well it was a small town! I once forgot to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy and later that night, the pharmacist came to my house to drop it off! The neighbourhood we lived in had street parties also. Happy Days.
Dh's grandmother lives near there. It is a lovely area and there is a lot to be said for 'small town' manners which can be lovely.

I grew up in the country so can appreciate it. DH gets bored to easily and wants the 'big city' things to do. I like it too so that's lucky!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM

For all we lived close to Philly, I never got a chance to visit it. I hear good things though. Well I've been sat at this computer far too long now. Time for a cuppa !

Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
HoBO sorry to dissapoint you but chigwell is classed as greater London. We have a london phone code and to be honest it is a nice place to live compared to much of London. I really wouldn't put Hampstead as a area that reflects London. You must have loved London so much that you live in the USA.
Ok, this is starting to get boring now.
Chigwell as 'Greater' London is still in Essex is it not? So it is not in the London bit of London. It is a good half hour plus from the city. In zone 5.
Hampstead is in zone 2.

That area of Essex is not the best. There are lovely areas of Essex, but not that bit.

I loved London, but have moved internationally since I was a kid. I married an American husband and moved here when his job relocated from London to the US. Does this explain it to you?

I'm pretty much done with this conversation now - you haven't said a SINGLE positive thing about London and you continuously twist my words. I feel that you are just looking to argue and I am not going to give you that satisfaction.

Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London