Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM

177 posts, read 416,411 times

Advertisements

Very glad to see the links posted from people living on Long Island,that's great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 82,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
After reading posts about how,to some,LI is lacking in culture (which really is impossible in that no matter where one is,there is culture),I wanted to ask why it's so sort of,difficult,for those same people of that opinion to just go into Manhattan the very same way those of us from say,Bay Ridge would...

Is it a complacency that just develops due to maybe a slower pace?
In the event my thread is one that may have in part sparked your question, personally I was speaking to attitude. I lived in south Park Slope for a bit and while it's a nice neighborhood, there's none of the active isolationist stuff going on in Brooklyn that there is on Long Island.

In most of the boroughs you don't see people needing to value their lives or homes nearly as much by their neighbors as they do here. No one even in the swankiest areas of Brooklyn Heights cares if they have a brown neighbor or immigrant owned places in their neighborhood. Here, people cry over the idea of affordable housing.

Ergo, the people that bring culture like, I don't know- other cultures? Are not welcome, and actively discouraged from living here. Artists, immigrants, people with darker skin- ever try to find a good neighborhood Indian restaurant out here? Good luck.

In my search for affordable housing on Long Island, I came across this article and it made me feel ill. But this is why there is no culture on Long Island- I've quoted. This is how people feel about anything different or new in their neighborhoods- bolding mine:

Quote:
John Fox, a gray-haired man from Centerport, can hardly hold back his tears. His eyes are moist as he explains why he opposes the Matinecock Court affordable housing development that’s been proposed for East Northport since 1979. Tonight he’s expressing his frustration at a public meeting held by the Town of Huntington at Northport High School. Earlier in the week, he was outside Huntington Town Hall with about two dozen people protesting AvalonBay’s planned apartment complex in Huntington Station chanting, “No way, AvalonBay!”

It breaks my heart,” Fox tells the Press. “We’re overcrowded already. We don’t want Queens or Brooklyn or whatever here! When I was 18, you could jump in your car and drive wherever you wanted. Now it’s bumper to bumper!”

Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM

189 posts, read 632,976 times
The problem with Long Island is that it keeps getting compared to NYC - which is the mecca of culture.

Compare Long Island to the rest of American and you will see that it does indeed have of a lot more culture than you think.

I know people that moved to Minnesota, South Carolina, Cincinnati, Kansas City & even St.Louis. They can't get over how much "long Island" stuff they actually miss - mostly the food & beaches here.

quick edit - i actually moved back to Long Island after living in Manhattan & Queens for 15 years.
Last weekend I went to Sagamore Hill (http://www.nps.gov/sahi/) in Oyster Bay. Yesterday I went to the Fire Island Lighthouse and walked around the beaches and towns there.

Both those excursions were extremely awesome and made me actually not miss the "world's giant strip mall" that Manhattan became. So if that's not culture, I'm not sure what is.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
After reading posts about how,to some,LI is lacking in culture (which really is impossible in that no matter where one is,there is culture),I wanted to ask why it's so sort of,difficult,for those same people of that opinion to just go into Manhattan the very same way those of us from say,Bay Ridge would.
I feel like I'm not being clear,but still,I have that question.

The only difference I see is the cost of the LIRR,which is a big difference then taking the R train.
But time wise,getting to midtown is the very same from Merrick for example. It's the very same.
If someone from Bay Ridge wants to go to a show,and someone from Seaford wants to go to a show,we will both arrive at the same time.

I'd say most New Yorkers have to travel to a place to attend to culture (as it's typically defined as it regards museums and such). Only the people who can afford/want to live in Manhattan,have these situations within a 1/2 hour away from them,if not blocks.

Why do many Long Islanders seem to bring about the seperation themselves,from ''culture'',or other New Yorkers?
Whatever it is they feel is so sort of,far away or apart from them sometimes seems self induced.

So sorry if this is written too long! It's just that I'm curious. Is it a complacency that just develops due to maybe a slower pace? Living by the ocean- which I think would be wonderful in any seaon by the way!
Anyway,just wanted to ask. (Also because we may try LI next,2 of my brothers live there and like it.)
LOL. I dare you to go stand with a sign that says, "Long Island is a separtist cultural wasteland!" outside the Hamptons Classic.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
The problem with Long Island is that it keeps getting compared to NYC - which is the mecca of culture.

Compare Long Island to the rest of American and you will see that it does indeed have of a lot more culture than you think.

I know people that moved to Minnesota, South Carolina, Cincinnati, Kansas City & even St.Louis. They can't get over how much "long Island" stuff they actually miss - mostly the food & beaches here.

quick edit - i actually moved back to Long Island after living in Manhattan & Queens for 15 years.
Last weekend I went to Sagamore Hill (Sagamore Hill National Historic Site - Theodore Roosevelt's Home (U.S. National Park Service)) in Oyster Bay. Yesterday I went to the Fire Island Lighthouse and walked around the beaches and towns there.

Both those excursions were extremely awesome and made me actually not miss the "world's giant strip mall" that Manhattan became. So if that's not culture, I'm not sure what is.
Out in small town flyover country (and by the way, EVERYTHING is flyover country to Long Island LOL) the biggest cultural thrill is attending theatre put on by their school students and high school sports games are the PINNACLE of their culture because they don't have any PROFESSIONAL sports teams to root for and many places don't even have local colleges with sports teams to root for. (Hence, the popular TV show, "Friday Night Lights.")

Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Let's not forget the Theatre at Westbury, which is in Jericho ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).
Let's also not forget Jones Beach theatre where you can listen to live music from relevant and popular musicians outside right on the water!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
Sagamore Hill is in Cove Neck ("Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address).

Old 09-05-2010, 01:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"Responsibility" is not something Long Island is known for having in abundance.

It's politics (lack of trust, NIMBY, patronage), voter attitudes toward government (complain and ridicule without *all* the facts), resentment over paying taxes (without wanting a decrease in services), failure to drive within the law (speed, turn signals, yielding right-of-way, stopping at signs, etc), failure to do the job correctly (contractors, lawn care, tv service technicians) are just some of the issues complained about because people don't take responsibility for themselves or the work they're supposed to do.

It seems not everyone is contributing to the culture of "hard work".
Sadly, this can be applied to areas within and outside of NYS. This is not exclusive to LI.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
The word culture defined is very relevant LIGuy,I appreciate your post and several others.
The culture of Long Islanders as it pertains to who they are,their ways and how they differ from other locations isn't what I had on my mind,so the responses regarding that have been of a whole 'nother level,thank you for your input!
I was thinking more of the posts on several threads that express a lack of culture as it pertains to the arts,including things to do regarding cultural growth let's say.

Just in doing a very quick search for art galleries,the Gallery North came up. It looks like a really neat place. They're having what looks like a really nice event on Sept. 11th and 12th,for children as well as adults. They'll be 150 artists and crafts people,food and live music.
I'm sure these will be local artists,who would def make up the culture of LI.

Another that came up is The Nassau County Museum,which looks like another really nice experience,with classes you can take,etc.

Point being,is it a choice that people make to be involved or not in this experience? and if they choose not to be a part of it,then can they really say,there is a lack of cultural experiences/events on Long Island?
Or rather,that they choose not to be a part of it,if even thru' just plan old complacency,the same ol' same ol'? We're all vulnerable to that by the way. I just wanted to say something about it since looking at the LI forum and noting that feeling from posts.
People fall into a rut, doing the same-old same-old. Prior to moving to LI as a child, my family made frequent excursions about the city -- Museum of Natural History, Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, etc. That joy of discovering new things, as well as the familiarity which came from revisiting these places and seeing things I'd missed before, haven't left me. To this day I enjoy heading out and exploring new things as well as reacquainting myself with the old.

Gallery North is in my 'backyard' so-to-speak. It is a wonderful facility; small, but with fantastic installations involving both renowned as well as up-and-coming local artists and always varied themes with each new installation. If you are out this was next weekend -- it is worth checking out both the Gallery and the OAS.

The Outdoor Art Show is the upcoming event and it is very well attended. The Wet Paint Festival (held annually in early July) features two days of artists painting in set locations throughout the area. Their plein air works are then auctioned of on Sunday evening of that weekend. I've been attending for years; attendees bring in folding chairs, picnic blankets (some even go overboard with elaborately decorated tables) and everyone enjoys an evening of bidding wars, good natured banter, making new friends and the bounties of their baskets.

There's also the Long Island Museum in Stony Brook which has changing installations as well as an incredible collection of horse drawn carriages from a small child's sleigh up through an ornately decorated Gypsy carriage. That, and a phenomenal collection of William Sidney Mount paintings are on permanent display.

Stony Brook University is home to the Staller Center; some of the schedule can be found here:
Staller Center for the Arts (http://stallercenter.com/1011/season.html - broken link)

Of course there's the beach, fishing, four wheeling, kayaking, historical sites, science museums, live theatre, equestrian events...the list would go on and on.

LI has layers of culture; it all depends on a person's interests.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlypretty View Post
In the event my thread is one that may have in part sparked your question, personally I was speaking to attitude. I lived in south Park Slope for a bit and while it's a nice neighborhood, there's none of the active isolationist stuff going on in Brooklyn that there is on Long Island.

In most of the boroughs you don't see people needing to value their lives or homes nearly as much by their neighbors as they do here. No one even in the swankiest areas of Brooklyn Heights cares if they have a brown neighbor or immigrant owned places in their neighborhood. Here, people cry over the idea of affordable housing.

Ergo, the people that bring culture like, I don't know- other cultures? Are not welcome, and actively discouraged from living here. Artists, immigrants, people with darker skin- ever try to find a good neighborhood Indian restaurant out here? Good luck.

In my search for affordable housing on Long Island, I came across this article and it made me feel ill. But this is why there is no culture on Long Island- I've quoted. This is how people feel about anything different or new in their neighborhoods- bolding mine:
If we would like to be technical -- Brooklyn is ON Long Island. Aren't there neighborhoods in Brooklyn in which one ethnicity or religion is predominant, and therefore, attracts less people who aren't of that given persuasion?

In most swanky areas people tend to align themselves with people of similar financial status. Brown, White, Yellow, Red -- it's all about one shade: Green. If some power broker (like the late Robert Moses) sauntered in and set to establish low income housing in the middle of Brooklyn Swankytown, the Yuppies would be up in arms. They would circle the Land Rovers and throw money at their politicians to prevent that from happening. Don't fool yourself. They use their money in tony parts of Brooklyn to do the very same thing you accuse LIers of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island