Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM

81 posts, read 279,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
I want to move my family to PA but with both sets of parents and all siblings here, I feel guilty. My wife says screw them and lets pack up. I just need the courage. We looked and found some beautiful homes 30 years newer, twice the size, and less taxes. It makes perfect financial sense.
Do It!
We did it last year, left the overcrowded, overtaxed, overpopulated southshore and moved down south.
We would never go back, we could certainly afford to, I am actually in a new position making more then I was in NY. That aside, the quality of life outside of Long Island improves exponentially. There is a whole world out there people and its a hell of a lot better then LawngEyeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Left 10 years ago..came back. Only to leave again..only to come back again. Officially deem ourselves nuts. Getting ready to leave yet again. Hopefully this will be the last time. Will only come back to NY for visits and that is it for us.

But one can never know for real.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Einsteins is eh, they'll do. Manhattan Bagels was great but they went out in Innsbrook. We now have NY Bagels on Cox which is really good...

Good call Yankee ....still have some in the freezer

Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I was gonna move off LI, had a much better job lined up, twice the money I'm making here, plus 1k a year property taxes, 3 acres of property with a 10k square foot home with inground pool and beautifully landscaped grounds and one of the highest rated school districts in the U.S.

Unfortunately, the pizza and bagels in the area were not up to NY standards so we decided to stay on LI, debt ridden and miserable, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to part with the NY pizza and bagels.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:17 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times
i left long island when i got married-we came back after we started our family to be near family-that has been wonderful for my children-

with that said i would love to leave and experience other places-it will depend for me where my kids wind up when they grow up-if they all wind up settling in other places-we will leave-

Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM

66 posts, read 129,399 times
Left 20 years ago. Lived in PA, DC and now Raleigh. Never going back. If I were to move back north, it would be back to Philadelphia.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 PM

162 posts, read 734,939 times
No, I would not move back to LI.

We left 2 years ago. Of course we miss family & friends but I do not miss the over $10k in taxes we paid for a 1500 square foot with 1 bathroom. We don't miss the traffic or dealing with the drug use in the HS (& the needles & little plastic bags on our corner every morning)

Honestly , you have do what is best for your family..for some that is staying on LI, for some it is leaving. For us it was the best thing we could do for our family.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
If you move back, i'll easily call you stupid....

Think about what you are coming back to...

A island that in a emergency you'll die in traffic...

Someone said pizza and bagels... Joke i hope, since the pizza and bagels are clearly better with NYC water.
That would be poor taste to stay here...

Nothing gets done, someone said the taxes or housing will break...
The housing should be atleast 200k cheaper or more in some areas....
As for the taxes coming down.... Never happened unless things are done to bring in big money makers, and the answer to that is... the people will shoot those things down...

Then, do you REALLY want to subject your kids to a life of work, pay taxes, work, survive, work, taxes go up, more work, taxes go up some more...

a PD that doesn't patrol, no full time FD, (depending where) no sewer system, or good water.....

You can have a non patroling PD and 20 or 100 acres and either 1800 sq ft or 2200 sq ft for less than what this cesspool costs, and have more recreational activities too...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,895 times
Only you know what will make you happy. I moved off LI first to the city and then FL finally GA all in a matter of 6 years. No place was home for me, so I moved back home, and I feel for me the happiness of my family was worth it.

I wish you all the luck in the world but now I know what an empty feeling I had to be home sick for such a long period of time in my life.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeNYer View Post
If you moved away and could *afford*(I use that word lightly..but let's just say) to come back, would you? If you still live on LI, and could do it all over again, would you choose to raise your children there or would you move somewhere else?

I ask this because my husband and I moved away several years ago when we were starting a family and now that we are a bit more established, we always consider coming back. When we first moved, it was because of money but now that we have built on our careers, we feel that financially we could do it(or at least do it better than when we moved). We are still relatively young(30) and have one child in elementary school, one in preschool, and one on the way.

Things would be tight, but we could buy a nice house. We are both from the Stony Brook area originally and would like to live somewhere near Shoreham, Miller Place, etc. There are a lot of places I would NOT live. Anyway, we miss our families so much and the thought of coming "home" is so tempting, but is LI what it once was? Right now we live a bit south in a very safe, affluent, child friendly environment. Everytime I come home to visit, I can't help but notice the run down look of the Island, the litter, the unhappy attitudes, the teenagers up to no good, etc. I know you are all going to jump on me and say IT's EVERYWHERE...but it's really not like that everywhere.

Still, there is that home feeling we will always have on LI that no place else could ever compete with. Would you come back and raise your children on LI? Do you still feel it is a nice, safe, family friendly environment? Would it be a huge mistake or do some people just like to complain so much that they paint an awful(untrue) picture of what LI has become?
I live in Stony Brook and went to Ward Melville. I absolutely love the town and the school. I couldn't be happier living on LI. Every place has its good and bad, drugs are a problem around LI cause a lot of people have money, but dont worry about ur kids and drugs. They always talk about peer pressure, but in the end, no one is giving away drugs for free, ur gonna have to pay for them. So no money, no drugs, no deal. The food is so much better on LI, i go to college upstate and the food is terrible. I guess living on LI makes u spoiled in a way though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island