Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Hey again Crooks!

We're still looking in RP, but also for the OP, does the area in Holbrook/ Ronk. get a lot of plane noise from MacArthur?

Also, does RP and SB get any overhead noise from approaches and take-off? If not, where are the most affected areas?

Thanks
RP and Sound Beach get virtually nothing apart from an occasional high flyer.

The areas most affected by the airport are south and west of the runaways, unless the winds shift on certain days, then it's the other side. . I lived North West of there and I could see planes taking off, but they never flew directly overhead so it was never loud. I like the Bohemia area, but I would not buy a house north of Church Street..possibly even further down because of approaching planes. You can sit in the diner on the corner of vets and Lakeland and watch Southwest Airlines Jets land all day ....coming from the southwest!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
RP and Sound Beach get virtually nothing apart from an occasional high flyer.

The areas most affected by the airport are south and west of the runaways, unless the winds shift on certain days, then it's the other side. . I lived North West of there and I could see planes taking off, but they never flew directly overhead so it was never loud. I like the Bohemia area, but I would not buy a house north of Church Street..possibly even further down because of approaching planes. You can sit in the diner on the corner of vets and Lakeland and watch Southwest Airlines Jets land all day ....coming from the southwest!!
thanks dman--helpful info. guess crooks isn't the only one knowing what goes on out that way

Old 12-17-2010, 03:53 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It is not always true that property located in villages pay more property tax than would a similar property in an adjoining hamlet within the same town that the village is located. Many times, being in a village offers protection from certain town taxes that add up to more than the village taxes, meaning that a property in a village pays less property tax than does a similar property in a hamlet within the same town as the village is located.
I pay $700 for the Lake Grove village tax. Well worth it in my opinion for the village parks, events, services, and local control.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Right. I mean, I still need a car, but I have it convenient enough that I can hit the local breakfast place, then the wholesale club, Giunta's, the discount Boars head counter at the small convenience store, the wine store, and I'm home before 10:30AM on Saturday.

Then I know people living in Mt. Sinai who it takes 3 times longer to do everything because they have to deal with being 4 miles from the main road and then having to deal with 347 when they get there...blech.
347 is reason enough to avoid that entire area.
Nicolls is a trainwreck.

It took me 40 min to Portion from SUNY on wed.

Im glad Im near the Wm Floyd and we go to 58 or south for everything thats not local.Truth be told we have most of what we need here.

Thumbs up on Guintas.
We go there too.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I pay $700 for the Lake Grove village tax. Well worth it in my opinion for the village parks, events, services, and local control.
I agree.

Plus you should see some of it back in TOB bill.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Hey again Crooks!

We're still looking in RP, but also for the OP, does the area in Holbrook/ Ronk. get a lot of plane noise from MacArthur?

Also, does RP and SB get any overhead noise from approaches and take-off? If not, where are the most affected areas?

Thanks
No but we get Hampton morons in helicopters.

Dmans out that way, Id go with his feedback near ISP.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM

13 posts, read 32,028 times
OK PEOPLE !!! I did my homework !!! I drove everywhere today !!! I need to make my decision and this is what I found:

Holbrook: some beautiful areas, some too expensive, some with ZERO property just house next to house next to house. I did not feel I "Loved" it

Holtsville: they have an ecology park - thats all I liked

sayville: great town.....OLD homes = not a homey feel for me

oakdake: old

ronkonkoma: trashy for the most part

bohemia: some beautiful area def tooooo expensive but didnt LOVE it

farmingville: i drove around at 10am and groups of men at every corner with lunches packed...did not like it

then................

rocky point: some very nice homes some mountains to drive over

sound beach: dirty and too hilly

miller place: nice near the golf course too $$$ every where else

mt sinai: hilly or too rich looking

shoreham: beautiful - too $$$

wading river : far............nice.............far

pt jeff: nice areas...............

I dont know where else to go.

I READ ALL YOUR POSTS AGAIN AND AGAIN..................... IT IS NOT AS EASY AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. Tomorrow I am going to East moriches/center moriches and moriches........... wish me luck and I will get back to you !!! any other opinions I would appreciate !!!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM

149 posts, read 345,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaytogo View Post
OK PEOPLE !!! I did my homework !!! I drove everywhere today !!! I need to make my decision and this is what I found:

Holbrook: some beautiful areas, some too expensive, some with ZERO property just house next to house next to house. I did not feel I "Loved" it

farmingville: i drove around at 10am and groups of men at every corner with lunches packed...did not like it

then................

I READ ALL YOUR POSTS AGAIN AND AGAIN..................... IT IS NOT AS EASY AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. Tomorrow I am going to East moriches/center moriches and moriches........... wish me luck and I will get back to you !!! any other opinions I would appreciate !!!

wow.........on gas prices these days you must be serious to drive that much !!! LOL I know a bit about the south shore and the moriches are real nice. IMO east moriches is the top one there....some of moriches go to william floyd schools .......

I think you may have over looked alot of holbrook ........good luck in your search !! keep us updated !!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

then................

Theres no golf course in Miller Place that I know of. Are you talking about Westchester Drive/Oak Hills Rocky Point?

As for Sound Beach.You definitely missed Scotts Beach(Gated/beautiful) and Im not sure if you made it to the Tides in RP which is pretty flat.
(FWIW North Shore Brookhaven is all pretty hilly.)

Keep us posted.
Heres a few more to rule/check out.

Nesconset
Bluepoint/Bayport
Ridge

As stated above Wm Flyd SD you may want to pass on and everything East of there is just as far as Wading River.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-17-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:

then................

What parts of Holbrook were you in?
My opinion is to stay on the Islip side (blue and white street signs) rather than the Brookhaven side (green and white street signs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island