Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
To the OP, if you were on the "letter avenues" you were most likely on the Brookhaven side. Again, take another look, but look on the Islip side with the BLUE and WHITE street signs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
To the OP.... in case you want to look again, the above is excellent advice, I second it.
I third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaytogo View Post
Never knew holbrook was so BIG !!!
It is, but that's part of its charm.

I think a few said the commute into the city sucks. I believe that is mainly because the Ronkonkoma line seems to have the most trouble with delays. According to the schedules, the peak trains from Ronkonkoma are supposed to take no more than five or six minutes longer than those from Babylon.

The morning isn't so bad. It's coming home that can be a royal pain, especially if you catch the 5:22.

Also, to be honest, it's best to be on guard at the Ronkonkoma station. The last time I came home from the city, the emergency light for the elevator was flashing, there were three cop cars, and the police were in the process of arresting someone. You couldn't pay me to take the elevators there. I definitely felt safer in Babylon, and I used to walk to the station there.

As for airport noise, I wouldn't rule out north of Church as Dman suggested. It's not that loud. The dingbats who drive through the residential streets with their car stereos blaring are much more annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I third.

It is, but that's part of its charm.

I think a few said the commute into the city sucks. I believe that is mainly because the Ronkonkoma line seems to have the most trouble with delays. According to the schedules, the peak trains from Ronkonkoma are supposed to take no more than five or six minutes longer than those from Babylon.

The morning isn't so bad. It's coming home that can be a royal pain, especially if you catch the 5:22.

Also, to be honest, it's best to be on guard at the Ronkonkoma station. The last time I came home from the city, the emergency light for the elevator was flashing, there were three cop cars, and the police were in the process of arresting someone. You couldn't pay me to take the elevators there. I definitely felt safer in Babylon, and I used to walk to the station there.

As for airport noise, I wouldn't rule out north of Church as Dman suggested. It's not that loud. The dingbats who drive through the residential streets with their car stereos blaring are much more annoying.
The 5:22 is not my most favorite train. I generally try and get in early so I can be on the 5:01 on the way out. It tends to avoid the problems at Penn that can happen later in the rush. The 5:41 is generally a better option than the 5:22

Elevators at Ronkonkoma are ok at rush hour. Would avoid them at night.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
The 5:22 is not my most favorite train. I generally try and get in early so I can be on the 5:01 on the way out. It tends to avoid the problems at Penn that can happen later in the rush. The 5:41 is generally a better option than the 5:22

Elevators at Ronkonkoma are ok at rush hour. Would avoid them at night.
Yep. Earlier is better. I've discounted a few opportunities because they weren't willing to oblige me in a request for earlier hours, only because it's the Ronkonkoma line. On the Babylon line it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know what the big deal is about doing 8:30 to 4:30 instead of 9:00 to 5:00, but there it is.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 AM

177 posts, read 471,005 times
I like kings park too. It's a nice quiet north shore town.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelabella View Post
I like kings park too. It's a nice quiet north shore town.
Me too.

Good value play

Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 AM

177 posts, read 471,005 times
MS13 is far too! Lol

Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelabella View Post
MS13 is far too! Lol
Not really:

Contact El Salvador Consulates in the US (http://www.elsalvador.org/embajadas/eeuu/home.nsf/0/12f9de74529dada785256b0a005ba4c8?OpenDocument#BRE - broken link)

Brentwood is only a little more than 10 miles away ...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not really:

Contact El Salvador Consulates in the US (http://www.elsalvador.org/embajadas/eeuu/home.nsf/0/12f9de74529dada785256b0a005ba4c8?OpenDocument#BRE - broken link)

Brentwood is only a little more than 10 miles away ...
Wow ....and only 10 miles from Nassau too?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow ....and only 10 miles from Nassau too?
They are already IN the heart of Nassau, crooks! MS-13 is El Salvador's baby, hence the reference to their consulate in Brentwood.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM

265 posts, read 945,338 times
Quote:
They dont break out East but I wouldnt be comfortable sending my kid there past Middle School.I suspect if it were broken out it would be on par with Longwood or maype RP but with very different socioeconomic challenges. I would do some more DD on the communities of Farmingville and Ronkonkoma.Its pretty well documented.

Crooks
Quote:
As for East...take a ride down Portion rd.Theres a reason North comes at a premium (and a reason they went for the split).
It is what it is pal and that stuff dont show up on paper.

All Im saying is if you are going to do Sachem try and hold out for North.
I also agree with you on Bohemia. Connectquot would be fine too but again OP is working in Middle Island.

Crooks
Please don't act like you're knowledgeable about Sachem schools when you clearly have no idea what you're even talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island