Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Holbrook is at 125 on the list
Holtsville is at 127

RP is at 233
OK then RP is poor.
You win.

Go drive em both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Blasphemy!!!
Theyre entitled to their opinion Peqs.

Its all good.We know what we have here.

Crooks

Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM

27 posts, read 60,632 times
Default not to offend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Blasphemy!!!
I didn't mean to offend anyone I was just reiterating what I feel to be general opinion of people in my age group (30's). Rocky Pt has a few local bars, central to their main street area, that to me makes it a bit undesirable. Also shopping is limited, one having to travel to Riverhead or S. Setauket for the closest "bigger" shopping districts. If you are looking for a house directly on the water thats different, but these multi-million dollar houses are neighbored by small summer cottage type homes, with a bit odd zoning, and hilly terrain causing some problems in inclimate weather conditions. Neighboring Wading River is very nice. I have family who is fond of close by Mt Sinai as well! Holbrook is a nice community, with students going to Sachem West, the older but better of the Sachem High Schools. Both are close to beaches, Rocky pt of course being within walking distance depending of location. Holbrook has the quaint Sayville "main street' near by for a more village type feel. Yet Rocky pt is not to far from the bigger quaint "port" village of Port Jeff. Yet it is set further from highways, being a good distance from the LIE, even further from Sunrise Highway. Yet it is close to William Floyd and 83, two main North to South highways with traffic lights. Holbrook is much more central to getting around on Long Island, with both the LIE and sunrise highway passing through it as wells as Nichols rd(providing fast access to the Trauma 1 Stonybrook University Hospital) There is some particularly nice communities off of Patchogue-Holbrook Road(to the North/East) and the Holbrook Country Club for golf on the same road.

Whatever you choose I'm sure will be the right choice for you and your family. Best of luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinLINY View Post
I didn't mean to offend anyone I was just reiterating what I feel to be general opinion of people in my age group (30's). Rocky Pt has a few local bars, central to their main street area, that to me makes it a bit undesirable. Also shopping is limited, one having to travel to Riverhead or S. Setauket for the closest "bigger" shopping districts. If you are looking for a house directly on the water thats different, but these multi-million dollar houses are neighbored by small summer cottage type homes, with a bit odd zoning, and hilly terrain causing some problems in inclimate weather conditions. Neighboring Wading River is very nice. I have family who is fond of close by Mt Sinai as well! Holbrook is a nice community, with students going to Sachem West, the older but better of the Sachem High Schools. Both are close to beaches, Rocky pt of course being within walking distance depending of location. Holbrook has the quaint Sayville "main street' near by for a more village type feel. Yet Rocky pt is not to far from the bigger quaint "port" village of Port Jeff. Yet it is set further from highways, being a good distance from the LIE, even further from Sunrise Highway. Yet it is close to William Floyd and 83, two main North to South highways with traffic lights. Holbrook is much more central to getting around on Long Island, with both the LIE and sunrise highway passing through it as wells as Nichols rd(providing fast access to the Trauma 1 Stonybrook University Hospital) There is some particularly nice communities off of Patchogue-Holbrook Road(to the North/East) and the Holbrook Country Club for golf on the same road.

Whatever you choose I'm sure will be the right choice for you and your family. Best of luck!
None taken.

Good ponts

I just dont think youve seen the whole town.
It sounds like youve only been to North Shore Beach which is about half of the town.

Thres some fairly well heeled areas to the West and of course along Soundview dr.

Its definitely not for everyone but I disagree on shopping we actually have quite a bit beyond Main St for the area.
Sayville is quaint. Rocky Point is too. Holbrook? Not so much but it is a very convenient location with good schools.

Crooks

Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:

No such thing as Sachem West. Its Sachem North that became the 9-12 HS. Sachem South(the old 9-10 HS) became Samoset Middle School. Sachem East opened to serve the other 1/2 of the district. Not all of Holbrook goes to North. I live in Holbrook and 1/4 of it goes to East.
I wouldnt necesarily say North is better than East.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
No such thing as Sachem West. Its Sachem North that became the 9-12 HS. Sachem South(the old 9-10 HS) became Samoset Middle School. Sachem East opened to serve the other 1/2 of the district. Not all of Holbrook goes to North. I live in Holbrook and 1/4 of it goes to East.
Yeah its North and East now, also agreed, its a coin flip.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I know it is North I called it west as to clarify it's location for a person that doesn't know the area as well, it is the western of the two. It is called North as it originally had to differentiate between the former 9-10 grade South, now Samoset. I am somewhat versed in Sachem I have a few family members who teach in the district, and a myriad of friends/family who graduated from Sachem. As far as academics go I wouldn't say either of the two are better. As far as students go I have heard of gang issues in East, possibally due to the way the district is divided, areas where east students hail from(i.e. Farmingville) has had an influx of immigration within its towns which could be the contributing factor. Also the area of Granny Rd. east of 83, nearby the school, is known as a somewhat problem area.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I know it is North I called it west as to clarify it's location for a person that doesn't know the area as well, it is the western of the two. It is called North as it originally had to differentiate between the former 9-10 grade South, now Samoset. I am somewhat versed in Sachem I have a few family members who teach in the district, and a myriad of friends/family who graduated from Sachem. As far as academics go I wouldn't say either of the two are better. As far as students go I have heard of gang issues in East, possibally due to the way the district is divided, areas where east students hail from(i.e. Farmingville) has had an influx of immigration within its towns which could be the contributing factor. Also the area of Granny Rd. east of 83, nearby the school, is known as a somewhat problem area.
The immigrant workers (undocumented) in Farmingville are causing QOL issues, but they arent sending kids to the schools since their kids are back in their home countries.

Define problem area east of 83 on Granny Road? Its fine from 83 to 112. Its condos and a cemetary to east of 112, but thats another issue since thats in Pat-Med SD. Brookhaven Town Hall is right off Granny over there. Town Halls on LI are not in bad neighborhoods.

I live in Holbrook and Sachem, I know what the schools are called. If you are giving information to others, call the schools by the correct names, else you will confuse them.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The immigrant workers (undocumented) in Farmingville are causing QOL issues, but they arent sending kids to the schools since their kids are back in their home countries.

Define problem area east of 83 on Granny Road? Its fine from 83 to 112. Its condos and a cemetary to east of 112, but thats another issue since thats in Pat-Med SD. Brookhaven Town Hall is right off Granny over there. Town Halls on LI are not in bad neighborhoods.

I live in Holbrook and Sachem, I know what the schools are called. If you are giving information to others, call the schools by the correct names, else you will confuse them.
I don't think you could accurately say that all of their families are back home. If I was buying a house and I had or wanted to have kids I'd be looking also at 5-10 years down the line and how it could be then. As for the difference in demographics of East vs North I am only repeating what I have been told by two students and a teacher there. I obviously do not attend, nor work there. Yet these people have no reason to lie about what they see, especially to me who has no personal stake in the school or area. Yes you are going into pat-med however if my kids were going to High School in an area the surrounding are would matter to me as it is in walking distance of the school. The QOL issues in farmingville also would matter as after school pizza stops etc would be in that are and it is more the directly after school activities of my children, then the school itself, that would influence why if I had to choose I'd prefer North than East. As a grown adult I try to avoid areas of Farmingville for such reasons so I would most definitely want to avoid those areas for my children. When I was younger I worked in the area and I would not want my teenage girls subjected to certain things that I was just from going shopping or to work.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I don't think you could accurately say that all of their families are back home. If I was buying a house and I had or wanted to have kids I'd be looking also at 5-10 years down the line and how it could be then. As for the difference in demographics of East vs North I am only repeating what I have been told by two students and a teacher there. I obviously do not attend, nor work there. Yet these people have no reason to lie about what they see, especially to me who has no personal stake in the school or area. Yes you are going into pat-med however if my kids were going to High School in an area the surrounding are would matter to me as it is in walking distance of the school. The QOL issues in farmingville also would matter as after school pizza stops etc would be in that are and it is more the directly after school activities of my children, then the school itself, that would influence why if I had to choose I'd prefer North than East. As a grown adult I try to avoid areas of Farmingville for such reasons so I would most definitely want to avoid those areas for my children. When I was younger I worked in the area and I would not want my teenage girls subjected to certain things that I was just from going shopping or to work.
Even if you had a crystal ball to look 5-10 years in the future it all may be moot since there is talk of redistricting.
83 really isnt in walking distance of East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island