Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM

182 posts, read 406,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

I'm sorry Crooks, I think the insane microanalysis of the non-differences between all these places is comical.
With all due respect, John910 has argued nit picky, non education related items with Crookhaven, but has failed to provide any real insight into the programs within the Sachem district. They are both guilty of "insane microanalysis" and John910, self professed product of Sachem schools, has not given up anything of substance.

As John910 was quick to point out to Crookhaven, and seeing as you're not from Sachem, you don't know anything about the area. He won't, however, because you're on his side.

Still waiting for the 411 from a Sachem insider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Here is Crooks' thought process:

1) They made a movie about day laborers in Farmingville and it got an article in Newsday.

2) Sachem East, despite covering a massive geographic area that has near identical socioeconomic characteristics to Sachem North, includes the area this movie was about.

3) So despite being academically identical, and having a student body coming from identical demographic and economic backgrounds, as well as being wholly on par with the jewel of Brookhaven's north shore - Rocky Point SD - Sachem East must be less than satisfactory because:

4) It offers the chance to utilize vague, cryptic phrases like "drive down Portion Rd. sometime", "smart money buys in North - jm2c" or "skip the drama and save up for Sachem North" (as if there is any significant difference in the cost of housing between the 2 areas)....

Haven't you heard, John? Suffolk is becoming Nassau, and "the fish rots from the head", so that doesn't bode well for the areas served by Sachem East, which are .0000001 degrees of longitude south of their Sachem North neighbors....if they were .0000001 degrees closer to the Long Island Sound - like Lake Grove - it would be a totally different story and they would be spared once the crime wave heads east and all non-coastal towns are turned into pillars of salt.

I'm sorry Crooks, I think the insane microanalysis of the non-differences between all these places is comical.

Im sorry Sean but you lost me at "I think a big portion of the middle of Suffolk County really blows, but even there you've still got nice places along the shores....and then once you get past it, the East End is beautiful."If that doensnt vilify Sachem then what does?

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ld-living.html

My opinion of the AREA remains the same.I have family in that district and friends who teach there. Im not sure what relevant insight youre bringing from Nassau but if you have some feedback from parents or faculty I would live to hear it but other than that

I probably shouldve been more specific John. The reason Im not comfortable with sending my kids to east is that therye still a ways off from HS.What Im most uncomfortable with is not where Sachem East is...but where it could be going per the conversations Ive had with teachers there.Overall Ive been nothing but complementarty to the district.I think they deliver quality for less and if someone was coming to Sound Beach and they said go with MP over RP I wouldnt take offense either.It is what it is.

Crooks

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im sorry Sean but you lost me at "I think a big portion of the middle of Suffolk County really blows, but even there you've still got nice places along the shores....and then once you get past it, the East End is beautiful."If that doensnt vilify Sachem then what does?

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ld-living.html

My opinion of the AREA remains the same.I have family in that district and friends who teach there. Im not sure what relevant insight youre bringing from Nassau but if you have some feedback from parents or faculty I would live to hear it but other than that

I probably shouldve been more specific John. The reason Im not comfortable with sending my kids to east is that therye still a ways off from HS.What Im most uncomfortable with is not where Sachem East is...but where it could be going per the conversations Ive had with teachers there.Overall Ive been nothing but complementarty to the district.I think they deliver quality for less and if someone was coming to Sound Beach and they said go with MP over RP I wouldnt take offense either.It is what it is.

Crooks
Could be going? Based on the current demographics of the kids in elem schools and middle schools that feed into East I dont see any issues moving forward.
Having a son who will go to East I am not currently concerned and neither are neighbors/friends many who have kids closer going in to East then mine.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Could be going? Based on the current demographics of the kids in elem schools and middle schools that feed into East I dont see any issues moving forward.
Having a son who will go to East I am not currently concerned and neither are neighbors/friends many who have kids closer going in to East then mine.

Then stay with it. I wouldnt move out either.Sachem is a good district.

It just my opinion, its not gospel. Ill even go a step further, I think the schools are very good but the AREA has some well known and well documented challenges.Why are we pretending otherwise?Have we not beaten this to death already.

All I said was hold out for North and that I wasnt comfortable with the direction that some parts of East were going.Am I not entitled to have that opinion when the reality is what the reality is?

As for Farmingville in particular. I think parts of it are awesome.Up by Bald Hill is beautiful.Portion rd, not so much.

Crooks

Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:

It just my opinion, its not gospel. Ill even go a step further, I think the schools are very good but the AREA has some well known and well documented challenges.Why are we pretending otherwise?Have we not beaten this to death already.

All I said was hold out for North and that I wasnt comfortable with the direction that some parts of East were going.Am I not entitled to have that opinion when the reality is what the reality is?

As for Farmingville in particular. I think parts of it are awesome.Up by Bald Hill is beautiful.Portion rd, not so much.

Crooks
There's always talk of redistricting going around too. One of the topics was who goes to North or East. Some of the people currently going to East could end going to North or vice versa.

Every SD has good/bad areas. Honestly, Brookhaven infrastructure in the areas of the Sachem SD is not as good as the Islip side. Roads are much better maintained on the Islip side

Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
If you drill in at the school level GS shows it all too.

That sounds about right. I would expect Middle Country to be 7 but I wouldnt expect to see Newfield high on the State Needs Improvement list.
Like I said the schools were never considered bad until this recent event.Im sure they'll get it corrected.

Good point about Special Needs.
RP is outstanding (best in NE Brookhaven)and Ive heard the same of Sachem.
(its just a little tougher to navigate due to its size)
Nice to hear good things about Connectquot too.

I dont think GS take on the SDs is too far from reality.
The High School ratings on Greatschools.net were flat out wrong when they were posted. Sorry, Centereach High School is not a 4. It's not the greatest, but it's not that bad. Those ratings have since been removed. And the key difference between what Greatschools has vs. NYSTART is NYSTART has the results broken down by group (General Ed vs. Special Ed, Not Economically Disadvantaged vs. Economically Disadvantaged, etc.) which Greatschools does not have.

I still maintain that if you are REALLY serious about a particular area, visit the school. I visited our local Kindergarden building and was highly impressed and have absolutely no reservations about sending our kids there. But if you read and listen to all the "doom and gloom" about certain schools & districts, you'd be scared to send your kids there.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
The High School ratings on Greatschools.net were flat out wrong when they were posted. Sorry, Centereach High School is not a 4. It's not the greatest, but it's not that bad. Those ratings have since been removed. And the key difference between what Greatschools has vs. NYSTART is NYSTART has the results broken down by group (General Ed vs. Special Ed, Not Economically Disadvantaged vs. Economically Disadvantaged, etc.) which Greatschools does not have.

I still maintain that if you are REALLY serious about a particular area, visit the school. I visited our local Kindergarden building and was highly impressed and have absolutely no reservations about sending our kids there. But if you read and listen to all the "doom and gloom" about certain schools & districts, you'd be scared to send your kids there.
I agree.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
LOL OK, I should have used less blunt language.....all that means is "I don't care for it". Personal preference. I don't think there is anything whatsoever wrong with Sachem SD or the area it covers, I'm just not really into the parts of it that look more like they belong off a PA Turnpike exit than off the LIE.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
LOL OK, I should have used less blunt language.....all that means is "I don't care for it". Personal preference. I don't think there is anything whatsoever wrong with Sachem SD or the area it covers, I'm just not really into the parts of it that look more like they belong off a PA Turnpike exit than off the LIE.
Dude its fine, youre talking to the king of blunt.I just found it funny that you were rushing to their defense the next day.

I really do think Sachem is a good value play, I just prefer the North Shore.

Crooks

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times
Quote:

Crooks
The reality is what the reality is? What does the state Portion Road, Farmingville have to do with East? You keep bringing this up and it is totally irrelevant.

Fact of the mater is, with comments like "I'm not comfortable with the direction that some parts of east are going" proves that you have 0 knowledge about the school. Yes, Farmingville has some well documented challenges, but OP isn't moving to Farmingville. He/She asked a question about Sachem East. Farmingville has had the illegal immigrant problem for years and it still has had no effect on the schools.

And don't start with the "I'm entitled to my opinion". It's not an opinion, you're just wrong.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/812/original/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729 (broken link)

Last edited by John9l0; 01-01-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island