Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The areas most affected by the airport are south and west of the runaways, unless the winds shift on certain days, then it's the other side. . I lived North West of there and I could see planes taking off, but they never flew directly overhead so it was never loud. I like the Bohemia area, but I would not buy a house north of Church Street..possibly even further down because of approaching planes. You can sit in the diner on the corner of vets and Lakeland and watch Southwest Airlines Jets land all day ....coming from the southwest!!
About right. Basically the north east end of the airport in holbrook (union ave and LIE vicinity) see (and hear) the most traffic. Parts of holtsville are in the flight path north of the LIE.
At the southwest end its kinda okay because of Connetquot Park bearing the brunt, some streets in Bohemia face the noise though.
McArthur is not that busy an airport (yet !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaytogo View Post
OK PEOPLE !!! I did my homework !!! I drove everywhere today !!! I need to make my decision and this is what I found:

Holbrook: some beautiful areas, some too expensive, some with ZERO property just house next to house next to house. I did not feel I "Loved" it

Holtsville: they have an ecology park - thats all I liked

sayville: great town.....OLD homes = not a homey feel for me

oakdake: old

ronkonkoma: trashy for the most part

bohemia: some beautiful area def tooooo expensive but didnt LOVE it

farmingville: i drove around at 10am and groups of men at every corner with lunches packed...did not like it

then................

rocky point: some very nice homes some mountains to drive over

sound beach: dirty and too hilly

miller place: nice near the golf course too $$$ every where else

mt sinai: hilly or too rich looking

shoreham: beautiful - too $$$

wading river : far............nice.............far

pt jeff: nice areas...............

I dont know where else to go.

I READ ALL YOUR POSTS AGAIN AND AGAIN..................... IT IS NOT AS EASY AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. Tomorrow I am going to East moriches/center moriches and moriches........... wish me luck and I will get back to you !!! any other opinions I would appreciate !!!
Wow, just Wow.... nice driving for a day, I am sure you got just a cursory glance at best at every place you went. Are you sure you were not leaning towards one particular place before you even started this post ?
Good luck to you in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
About right. Basically the north east end of the airport in holbrook (union ave and LIE vicinity) see (and hear) the most traffic. Parts of holtsville are in the flight path north of the LIE.
At the southwest end its kinda okay because of Connetquot Park bearing the brunt, some streets in Bohemia face the noise though.
McArthur is not that busy an airport (yet !)

Wow, just Wow.... nice driving for a day, I am sure you got just a cursory glance at best at every place you went. Are you sure you were not leaning towards one particular place before you even started this post ?
Good luck to you in your search.
Zulu

Theres a really nice pocket of Ronkonkoma on the North Side of the Expressway.Whats that called?Thats worth a look and I imagine it would be Sachem North.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
What parts of Holbrook were you in?
My opinion is to stay on the Islip side (blue and white street signs) rather than the Brookhaven side (green and white street signs)
To the OP.... in case you want to look again, the above is excellent advice, I second it.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Zulu

Theres a really nice pocket of Ronkonkoma on the North Side of the Expressway.Whats that called?Thats worth a look and I imagine it would be Sachem North.
Where would that be Crooks ? You got any street names ? The immediate area just to the north of LIE and south of Motor Pkwy is not that nice, just my opinion though. and its pretty hilly too, it goes by a name I can't remember (edit: lake hills ?), I hope you did not mean that area.
And then there are some flood prone areas near the lake. I think Lake Ronkonkoma (the lake) is actually in Ronkonkoma.

But I do believe all of that area goes to Connetquot SD though, I maybe wrong.

Last edited by zulu400; 12-17-2010 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: light bulb moment.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Where would that be Crooks ? You got any street names ? The immediate area just to the north of LIE and south of Motor Pkwy is not that nice, just my opinion though. and its pretty hilly too, it goes by a name I can't remember (edit: lake hills ?), I hope you did not mean that area.
And then there are some flood prone areas near the lake. I think Lake Ronkonkoma (the lake) is actually in Ronkonkoma.

But I do believe all of that area goes to Sachem North.
Lake Hills is the area.
Personally I think the Islip maintains the infrastructure better than Brookhaven.
Again, stay on the Islip side.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Lake Hills is the area.
Personally I think the Islip maintains the infrastructure better than Brookhaven.
Again, stay on the Islip side.

Thats it...Lake Hills is pretty nice IMO.
I like that area.

As for Islip V. Brookhaven
Yes and no.
Ever been to CI?Left for dead?

If you were saying Smithtown Id agree hands down.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-17-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaytogo View Post
OK PEOPLE !!! I did my homework !!! I drove everywhere today !!! I need to make my decision and this is what I found:

Holbrook: some beautiful areas, some too expensive, some with ZERO property just house next to house next to house. I did not feel I "Loved" it

Holtsville: they have an ecology park - thats all I liked

sayville: great town.....OLD homes = not a homey feel for me

oakdake: old

ronkonkoma: trashy for the most part

bohemia: some beautiful area def tooooo expensive but didnt LOVE it

farmingville: i drove around at 10am and groups of men at every corner with lunches packed...did not like it

then................

rocky point: some very nice homes some mountains to drive over

sound beach: dirty and too hilly

miller place: nice near the golf course too $$$ every where else

mt sinai: hilly or too rich looking

shoreham: beautiful - too $$$

wading river : far............nice.............far

pt jeff: nice areas...............

I dont know where else to go.

I READ ALL YOUR POSTS AGAIN AND AGAIN..................... IT IS NOT AS EASY AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. Tomorrow I am going to East moriches/center moriches and moriches........... wish me luck and I will get back to you !!! any other opinions I would appreciate !!!
"sound beach: dirty and too hilly"
What is dirty about sound beach?

also, why would Wading riv be too far but not the moriches? were those day laborers in farmingville?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats it...Lake Hills is pretty nice IMO.
I like that area.

As for Islip V. Brookhaven
Yes and no.
Ever been to CI?Left for dead?

If you were saying Smithtown Id agree hands down.
I was referring to Islip Holbrook vs Brookhaven Holbrook and Islip Holtsville vs Brookhaven Holtsvile.
You could add in Islip Ronk vs Brookhaven Ronk

Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 32,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
"sound beach: dirty and too hilly"
What is dirty about sound beach?

also, why would Wading riv be too far but not the moriches? were those day laborers in farmingville?
Where i drove through the houses were gross.........leaves everywhere, nobody seems to care to clean their properties. IMO SB was a bit dirty. You are right about moriches...............just as far as wading river but south............

I never even asked you all about Middle Island itself !! hearsay I got is that it is not that great.......................

Someone asked me what parts of holbrook??? there was alot of ave's with letters (ie. Ave B , Ave C etc...)

And to the person that asked me if I had an area I was leaning towards before i posted..........that answer is no..............I would prefer North but I can get more for my money south...........schools i know to avoid are not in my areas of looking................it basically comes down to what i am looking for. I do not want to "keep up with the jones'" but I also do not want to BE THE jones' on a block people make a mess of. I know I drove through bits of each area, maybe i need to spend a bit more time on one at a time. what about ridge? can anyone suggest an area? give me a street name to look for) and i will drive around that area. maybe I chose the wrong blocks in sound beack, rocky point, holbrook, ronkonkma, and holtsville. Thank again everyone !

Old 12-18-2010, 02:02 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Sayville is one of the nicest areas in Suffolk, so I'll have to chalk it up to us having very different taste. Most housing stock on LI is old, and in many cases Older (50's and ealier) is better than just old (50-80's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island