Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Are their salries too high?? Yes. The problem i have is they have a contract, and the county is just going to ignore it. That IS illegal. Should they renegotiate? Absolutely! But the county has no right to just freeze their pay.
Obviously you are unfamiliar with bankruptcies. A contract isn't worth the paper it's written on anymore - sort of like the U.S. Constitution.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I know what NIFA's charter says. And NIFA is the government. So the question of when a government has the right -- not the authority -- to break legally binding contracts with its employees still stands.

The whole issue is pure politics. Nassau County has the ability to balance its budget with modest tax increases. What it lacks is political will. And because it lacks political will, legally binding contracts are going to be unilaterally disregarded. That sets a dangerous precedent on many levels.

And you're misunderstanding the comment about teachers. The individual school districts didn't -- and couldn't -- decide to unilaterally freeze teacher salaries because they didn't want to raise taxes. They were forced to negotiate those wage freezes and other concessions because the teachers have legally binding contracts. The same thing Nassau County unions did in the recent past. Yet despite those concessions, Nassau unions -- who negotiated in good faith at the request of the county -- are now having their legally binding contracts disregarded.
They been modestly raising taxes in Nassau County for years. Modestly raise a tax here, modestly raise a tax there. And so modest Nassau County has some of the modest taxes in the United States.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM

290 posts, read 583,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Despite your brilliant analysis that the law suit was a given because "Last time I checked, that's what a union is supposed to do; look out for it's members interests"... the good PR derived from 1 years worth of wage freezes could be more in the members' interests than 3% one time. I'm actually happy the PBA is fighting the wage freeze - now even more people can see how greedy the NCPD is and how little they care about the public when the trough starts to dry up.
Your sarcasm notwithstanding, the simple fact is that the "Good PR" as you put it has no intrinsic value whatsoever. This is neither the first time, nor will it be the least time that there won't be a wage increase involving the NCPD. For the most part, it simply isn't advertised. Contract negotiations are just that, negotiations...or do you *really* think a politician's word has any "intrinsic value" either? The easiest way to get anything is to ask, not issue fiats. Simply put, if the county, or any bargaining agency want to renegotiate, it has to start by asking.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:39 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You think Suffolk County is good at using the law of supply and demand when it comes to hiring police officers? LOL. Their rates of pay are even more lavish than Nassau's is ... and even with all those candidates available, pay keeps going UP, UP, UP ... the exact opposite of what the "supply and demand" formula in the real world would be with 26,000 applicants for 140 positions.
No, that's not what I claimed. I stated that our neighbor (Suffolk County) has a large number of applicants for their few positions. (Imagining that our situation in Nassau County is the same), I then asked why couldn't we apply the law of supply and demand in negotiating a fairer pay for our officers here - which would have to be lower than what it currently is.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 AM

400 posts, read 761,913 times
Also, why does the PBA always call me and ask for a donation?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,173 times
There is no union worth its weight out there they are causing the ruination of the country and need to be abolished for the good of man kind MO

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
There is no union worth its weight out there they are causing the ruination of the country and need to be abolished for the good of man kind MO
Yeah, it's unions faults that the economy is bad, 100%.

Unions are a target for those who want to deflect blame from the crooks who really are responsible for our economic downturn. Those crooks wear suits.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
No, that's not what I claimed. I stated that our neighbor (Suffolk County) has a large number of applicants for their few positions. (Imagining that our situation in Nassau County is the same), I then asked why couldn't we apply the law of supply and demand in negotiating a fairer pay for our officers here - which would have to be lower than what it currently is.
Why would Nassau if Suffolk doesn't? Never mind the huge number of applicants ... I could just hear the Nassau police union, etc., screaming their heads off if the County attempted to base raises, benefits and pensions on the overly large group of willing labor out there for the jobs.

The point I am making is that both Nassau and Suffolk completely stick their heads in the sand when it comes to the question of, "Are we overcompensating the police? Why do we get such a huge number of applicants?" They won't say that. They will play deaf, dumb, and blind and continue to break records each year with the raises, pensions and cushy "employee and family doesn't share a cent of the cost" benefits.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM

290 posts, read 583,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Also, why does the PBA always call me and ask for a donation?
It's a scam. They don't EVER solicit.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM

21 posts, read 44,220 times
[The whole issue is pure politics. Nassau County has the ability to balance its budget with modest tax increases. What it lacks is political will. And because it lacks political will, legally binding contracts are going to be unilaterally disregarded. That sets a dangerous precedent on many levels.

I can't believe people still think we can solve our problems with more tax increases. Police salaries are outrageous. And their benefits are amazing. Work for 20 years, get paid for 60, plus health insurance. What would happen if their salaries were cut by 25%? They would still be well compensated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.