Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM

116 posts, read 366,265 times

Advertisements

Police overtime is a complete sham. They are abusing the system, period.
In an attempt to steer this thread into ideas, instead on bickering...

What are some ideas of what police officers should be paid?

1) I think overtime needs to be eliminated (or only used for emergencies). The overtime system needs to be regulated by someone other than the police who hand it out like free candy.
2) 20 years is way too short of a career. Up it to 25.

By the way I have family who are officers and highly respect their job, but the tax payers can't afford this anymore, it's not personal.

Thoughts?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
I would prefer a limit on the amount of overtime hours an officer can do in a gven month rather than outright banning overtime.

It's one thing for an officer to get a few hours here and there because they were processing an arrest or working a crime scene over into the next tour but when you have officers working two, three times as much as they are assigned too then I think it's excessive. Working all this overtime could potentially lead to officer safety issues as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I would prefer a limit on the amount of overtime hours an officer can do in a gven month rather than outright banning overtime.

It's one thing for an officer to get a few hours here and there because they were processing an arrest or working a crime scene over into the next tour but when you have officers working two, three times as much as they are assigned too then I think it's excessive. Working all this overtime could potentially lead to officer safety issues as well.
Great point. I agree.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,381 times
Yeah, but you guys are safe. No?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 PM

How would the people who aren't safe answer that? Question doesn't make sense.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM

188 posts, read 416,518 times
I don't begrudge anyone who makes what the market pays. Good for them, they deserve it.

I'd like to see you deal with matters in the middle of the night in Roosevelt, Uniondale, New Cassel, and Freeport and tell me you aren't putting your life at risk while doing so.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Your right. I wouldn't want to deal with those matters, and I wish I could afford to pay the police 10 times what they make, but I can't, and neither can my neighbors.

We can't afford it anymore.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM

400 posts, read 761,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post

1) I think overtime needs to be eliminated (or only used for emergencies). The overtime system needs to be regulated by someone other than the police who hand it out like free candy.

By the way I have family who are officers and highly respect their job, but the tax payers can't afford this anymore, it's not personal.

Thoughts?
How about a starting salary of 45-50k, 401k to start within 1 year of employment, health insurance with a 20% out of pocket... 3-4% increases in a decent economy -- but variable.. Merit increases such as promotions etc with 10% raises?

This is actually what some of our new hires are making after they graduate college... We are talking about purdue, fordham, bucknell, tufts etc.. so pretty good schools...

Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
I don't begrudge anyone who makes what the market pays. Good for them, they deserve it.

I'd like to see you deal with matters in the middle of the night in Roosevelt, Uniondale, New Cassel, and Freeport and tell me you aren't putting your life at risk while doing so.
I agree, now if we could only get some cops who make what the market pays.

The problem with overtime is a whole other issue. It's cheaper in certain circumstances to pay someone overtime than hire a while other employee to do the job. The costs of social security taxes, insurance, pensions, and other benefits really raise the price on adding additional employees.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post

Thoughts?
Pequa. just did this thread, but here goes..........

Base pay should be around 40K starting to 65K senior.
OT limited to max xtra 12 hrs./wk. for safety.
Also, instead of all the high OT pay, they could probably hire a couple of more po per shift, and bring a po in early on shift to do paperwork when necessary, send the other out to finish tour. 25 years max career is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island